Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 11:09 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
The first half of your first sentence is not accurate. The systems were build the same time but look different. BART and Metro don't look alike. MARTA comes closest to DC in look, but doesn't have the iconic stations and DC's newer trains separate it from Marta. DC Metro is a brand like MTA and the El. Numerous movie scenes or TV shows have depicted the Metro. I don't know of too many depicting the T.

Honestly, I believe the average person would be able to correctly identify a BART train before the T.

You should read up on the Washington DC Metro system and it's history of design pattern and what makes it so unique. It honestly goes beyond the US in terms of being iconic.

https://www.thecoolist.com/washingto...way-in-the-us/
That’s interesting because nobody outside DC seems to notice when they film scenes in the DC metro in Baltimore, LA or at other period transit systems

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...outputType=amp

The fact is the MBTA trains look totally different than any other networks. That’s not true for DC, BART, Atlanta or LA. The Charlie Card Branding is totally unique as well. It’s very distinctive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 11:16 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
That’s interesting because nobody outside DC seems to notice when they film scenes in the DC metro in Baltimore, LA or at other period transit systems

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...outputType=amp
It's very noticeable actually, I notice every time. Why do you think she wrote the article on it if it's not noticed? You posting this doesn't mean it's not iconic, it just means it's a travesty that some Hollywood films choose not to go all the way to DC to actually shoot inside the system. Take that up with the directors. I have seen films depicting NYC subway shot in LA too.

The Washington Metro system is no less than the 3rd most recognizable major transit system with the El and MTA. If we're talking about subways under ground it's the 2nd most iconic in the country after MTA.

Last edited by the resident09; 04-19-2020 at 11:24 AM..

Old 04-19-2020, 11:17 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
If SF is included because of cable cars, then I'd add Seattle for the monorail.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
It's very notice able actually, I notice every time. Whydo you think she wrote the article on it if it's not noticed? You posting this doesn't mean it's not iconic, it just means it's a travesty that some Hollywood films choose not to go all the way to DC to actually shoot inside the system. Take that up with the directors. I have seen films depicting NYC subway shot in LA too.

The Washington Metro system is no less than the 3rd most recognizable major transit system with the El and MTA. If we're talking about subways under ground it's the 2nd most iconic in the country after MTA.
Because it’s the Washington Post that’s why. It’s a Washingtonian noticing that LA isn’t Washington.

You said DC beats Bosyon because Boston would get confused for NYC. As if Washington isn’t passable as LA or Baltimore.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:23 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
I agree that the DC metro is iconic, but not as widely known or distinguishable. Their trains and stations look enough like LA's trains and stations that they pass for each other with no changes. Only people familiar can tell and that's not many. Lately I've even seen Toronto stand in for LA.

My list is:

Seattle monorail
SF cable cars
NYC Subway
Chicago El
Staten Island ferry

Old 04-19-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Because it’s the Washington Post that’s why. It’s a Washingtonian noticing that LA isn’t Washington.

You said DC beats Bosyon because Boston would get confused for NYC. As if Washington isn’t passable as LA or Baltimore.
I wasn't the one who said the T would get confused with NYC. That was another poster.

It might get confused with SEPTA though.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:26 AM

6,559 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
The waffle ceiling of DC's metro system is pretty iconic imo. It's instantly recognizable and unique.

Boston? The average person wouldn't know it's Boston. They would probably mistake it for NYC subway.
That and the blinking lights on the platform when a train approaches.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I agree that the DC metro is iconic, but not as widely known or distinguishable. Their trains and stations look enough like LA's trains and stations that they pass for each other with no changes. Only people familiar can tell and that's not many. Lately I've even seen Toronto stand in for LA.

My list is:

Seattle monorail
SF cable cars
NYC Subway
Chicago El
Staten Island ferry
I have yet to go to Seattle yet, and could not tell you what the monorail looks like. The Miami elevated metro is about as known or iconic as some of these others being mentioned. Before I rode Metro in LA years ago I wouldn't have been able to definitively identify it either, and this is with all the movies being depicted in LA.

The only 3 systems that by one shot the average person could stare down a station or at a shot of their rail and mostly identify it would be the NYC subway, the El, and Metro in DC. The front of trains are often the biggest identifiers of them. DC metro has a very distinct front to it when facing the train. The only system who's trains come remotely close from that angle are MARTA trains, but they are still different.

The SF cable cars are completely identifiable as well.

And ferries we're adding to the list?

Old 04-19-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I have yet to go to Seattle yet, and could not tell you what the monorail looks like. The Miami elevated metro is about as known or iconic as some of these others being mentioned. Before I rode Metro in LA years ago I wouldn't have been able to definitively identify it either, and this is with all the movies being depicted in LA.

The only 3 systems that by one shot the average person could stare down a station or at a shot of their rail and mostly identify it would be the NYC subway, the El, and Metro in DC. The front of trains are often the biggest identifiers of them DC metro has a very distinct front to it when facing the train. The only system who's trains come remotely close from that angle are MARTA trains, but they are still different.

The SF cable cars are completely identifiable as well.

And ferries we're adding to the list?
You don’t think the fact that the MBTA has colored trains is distinctive .

After the MTA and CTA it’s really a jumbled mess.

It’s entirely possible for DC, SF, Bos to be 3-5 or NOLA, Toronto and Philly.

Also there is good reason the L, NOLA’s trolley and SF cable cars are famous. You don’t have to get a filming permit from the Transit agency because they are open air

Old 04-19-2020, 11:49 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
NYC's subway. The entertainment field has made this famous, so I guess iconic.

Toronto's streetcars. The older cars have been replaced with newer ones, but at least in Canada red streetcars and Toronto are synonymous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFt_WkCSl8Y

Chicago's Train, but really only the Loop section. Again, movies and TV shows seem to show this part of the train system. Well known to most, but the rest of Chicago's transit is a mystery to me since I've never been.

Vancouver's Skytrain. Iconic in the sense it is the longest fully automated driverless system in the world. Maybe not as well known as the others. I'd also add in the sea bus, as an iconic piece of Vancouver's transit system.

Number 5...tough one...a toss up between Montreal's rubber tired metro, and BART. I prefer Montreal's metro though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City