Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2020, 11:56 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I've been on the T before, and can barely remember the map if I close my eyes.

But now you see what I mean, with your comrade saying because the "T" logo stands out more than the "M" on Metro, that Boston must be more iconic.
To be fair, in U.S./Canada, the only transit map most people will recognize (without looking at station names or actual geography maps) is NYC MTA. Every other system map is a blur to most folks:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 12:01 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
To be fair, in U.S./Canada, the only transit map most people will recognize (without looking at station names or actual geography maps) is NYC MTA. Every other system map is a blur to most folks:
NYC and the L maps would be two most recognized for sure.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:21 PM

4,527 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Well, Cleveland has this: it's the only system in the country referred to as "The Rapid." ... also, small, but generally wealthy and nationally known Cleveland burb, Shaker Heights, is closely associated with its rapid transit lines, for years called 'the Shaker Rapid.'

Old 04-20-2020, 12:26 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Toronto's streetcars are reasonably iconic, as are Montreal's métro stations, many of which were designed with artistic flair that's extremely rare in this part of the world.

That's about it for Canada.
I'd say more than reasonably. There was an outcry years ago when Ford wanted to rid Toronto of streetcars.
The outcry was all about how those streetcars ARE Toronto.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:28 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,123,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Lol, sorry, it's just not that iconic nor memorable.
Again, that's more a reflection of you than the system.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:52 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,173,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'd say more than reasonably. There was an outcry years ago when Ford wanted to rid Toronto of streetcars.
The outcry was all about how those streetcars ARE Toronto.
In the Canadian context yes. But I very much doubt those ubiquitous red streetcars are very recognizable in the U.S. or around the world. Especially now, given that the TTC has completed replacement of all 216 streetcars in 2019 with the new Bombardier Flexity LRVs, people will recognize them even less because the new ones look very much the same as most other modern LRVs in Europe and Asia (they belong to the same model as Bombardier's LRVs in many other European cities, some with the exact same paint scheme as TTC...). Not that it's a bad thing because the new Bombardier Flexity LRVs are awesome from a passenger comfort perspective (low floor, 100% accessible, A/C year round, and very very spacious and bright).

- Toronto Transit Commission, Bombardier Flexity LRV 2020

Old 04-20-2020, 01:00 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
What do people think about Portland? I don’t think it has the most visually distinctive network but I think it is one of the more famous ones in the US.

Old 04-20-2020, 01:10 PM

6,376 posts, read 4,995,543 times
What about the New Orleans streetcars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
What do people think about Portland? I don’t think it has the most visually distinctive network but I think it is one of the more famous ones in the US.
Eh, I think the Seattle Monorail is the only iconic transit system in the PNW, and even it probably isn't top 5. (Also it's more of a tourist attraction and novelty; I've lived here for almost a year and haven't used it once)

Old 04-20-2020, 01:16 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
DC Definitely has the more iconic map vs the "T".
opinion. heres a few maps i like:
How many T stations have you been to?
Attached Thumbnails
US/Canada 5 most Iconic Transit systems-mbta-black.gif   US/Canada 5 most Iconic Transit systems-mbta-dragon.jpg  

Old 04-20-2020, 01:33 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,450,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Again, that's more a reflection of you than the system.
Don't get me wrong, I think D.C.'s transit system is clean, efficient and has a great connectivity. The federal dollars went to good use to support the nation's capital. Yet the stations, trains, maps (i.e., the system) themselves are not particularly memorable nor iconic. Few outsiders immediately think of D.C.'s metro when thinking of the city, and instead think of the White House, Congress, Smithsonian, cherry blossoms, etc.

It is a reflection of you that you do not make a case for why the Metro is "iconic," and instead continue to repeat "that's more a reflection of you."

Last edited by Muinteoir; 04-20-2020 at 02:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City