Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2020, 04:36 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,565,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
It was an elevated freight line extending down the West Side from the New York Central's main line into the city from the Bronx.

So yes, it was an "elevated," but not in the sense we're using that word here, for it had no stations and never carried passengers.
Ahh ok, yes. Now I do remember hearing it was freight in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 11:40 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,160,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I’m not talking about ridership or usefulness or reliability I mean which cities Transit systems have the most association with the city. Like if you had an opening montage of establishing shots in a movie which ones would transit system first?

IMO it’s
1) New York
2) Chicago
3) San Francisco
4) New Orleans
5) Boston

And for SF the less useful parts of its transit system are most iconic
New York and Chicago. The rest are after thoughts. Boston? LOL

Old 04-22-2020, 06:28 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
A couple of years old, but a good short explanation of Vancouver transit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK3JO4LADEs

Old 04-22-2020, 06:31 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
New York and Chicago. The rest are after thoughts. Boston? LOL
The SF trolleys/Cable Cars are absolutely famous. They are a tourist attraction in their own right

After that it does get messy though.

I also think Chicago has a legit argument for #1

Old 04-24-2020, 12:31 AM

396 posts, read 598,458 times
In terms of "iconic" I would really only say there are 4:
New York due to subways, Chicago due to it's elevated "Loop", Toronto due to it's streetcars, and SF due to it's street & cable cars

Old 04-25-2020, 02:52 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,123,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
In terms of "iconic" I would really only say there are 4:
New York due to subways, Chicago due to it's elevated "Loop", Toronto due to it's streetcars, and SF due to it's street & cable cars
This would be the obvious choice for Canada, but I don't think it's anywhere close to being as iconic as the other three. I'd say it's a similar level to the New Orleans streetcar, DC Metro, or Pittsburgh funiculars.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:26 PM

396 posts, read 598,458 times
I think your idea that the TTC is only being unique in Canada due to it's streetcars has more to do with general ignorance than fact. The Toronto streetcar system in the largest in the Americas and 50% larger than SF carrying nearly triple the number of daily passengers.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:01 AM

474 posts, read 530,597 times
Quote:
I think your idea that the TTC is only being unique in Canada due to it's streetcars has more to do with general ignorance than fact. The Toronto streetcar system in the largest in the Americas and 50% larger than SF carrying nearly triple the number of daily passengers.
Sure, but iconicity isn’t about the size of a system or its ridership. Outside of city data, it’s far more likely that an average person would be able to recognize San Francisco’s cable cars than the TTC streetcars. The way I see it it’s got more to do with the aesthetic, the history, how it’s engrained in the tourist experience, etc.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:15 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,123,027 times
Quote:
I think your idea that the TTC is only being unique in Canada due to it's streetcars has more to do with general ignorance than fact.
I did not make this assertion, so please do not put words in my mouth. I stated that TTC is the "obvious choice for Canada's most iconic system".

BUT, that doesn't mean it is the same level as NYC, Chicago El, and SF cable cars. It is more on par with the next tier of iconic systems.

Quote:
The Toronto streetcar system in the largest in the Americas and 50% larger than SF carrying nearly triple the number of daily passengers.
Size and ridership do not make a system iconic.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:23 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
I alluded to this earlier. American's lack of knowledge of Canada's transit makes me wonder why we are included in this poll at all. They assume since THEY don't know about Toronto's streetcars the rest of the world doesn't either.

Toronto's streetcars ARE iconic.

I encountered this a few years ago in another thread. It was about automated metro's etc. The fact Vancouver's Skytrain system is the largest automated system in the world, didn't seem to matter to the conversation. I gave up

Last edited by Natnasci; 04-26-2020 at 02:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City