Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 11:53 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I have yet to go to Seattle yet, and could not tell you what the monorail looks like. The Miami elevated metro is about as known or iconic as some of these others being mentioned. Before I rode Metro in LA years ago I wouldn't have been able to definitively identify it either, and this is with all the movies being depicted in LA.

The only 3 systems that by one shot the average person could stare down a station or at a shot of their rail and mostly identify it would be the NYC subway, the El, and Metro in DC. The front of trains are often the biggest identifiers of them. DC metro has a very distinct front to it when facing the train. The only system who's trains come remotely close from that angle are MARTA trains, but they are still different.

The SF cable cars are completely identifiable as well.

And ferries we're adding to the list?
It reminds me of the monorail at Disneyland. It's only .09 of a mile in length, and only goes from a mall downtown, to the Space needle.

Ferries IMO should only be included if they are part of the transit system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 11:53 AM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
I love the Seattle Monorail and live an easy walk from the north end. It's known to Seattle tourists. But I don't consider it even remotely on the level of the others. It's a tourist thing mostly...though getting significant investment so it'll act more like real transit, supported by our incoming NHL team. Natnasci, you added an extra zero.

Our ferries are probably more well-known...maybe not iconic on the SIF level, but we have several route pairs with similar visuals, some urban and some between smaller places. For Downtown the dynamic is similar to NYC, if smaller, with I believe 5,000 pedestrians walking off every rush hour.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:58 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I have yet to go to Seattle yet, and could not tell you what the monorail looks like. The Miami elevated metro is about as known or iconic as some of these others being mentioned. Before I rode Metro in LA years ago I wouldn't have been able to definitively identify it either, and this is with all the movies being depicted in LA.

The only 3 systems that by one shot the average person could stare down a station or at a shot of their rail and mostly identify it would be the NYC subway, the El, and Metro in DC. The front of trains are often the biggest identifiers of them. DC metro has a very distinct front to it when facing the train. The only system who's trains come remotely close from that angle are MARTA trains, but they are still different.

The SF cable cars are completely identifiable as well.

And ferries we're adding to the list?
The Seattle monorail has been iconic for decades. Maybe I'm older and it's generational or maybe there are other reasons that you're not familiar.

Of course average people in NYC, Chicago, and DC could identify "their" rail, but that's not an indication of them being iconic as much as it is familiar. Iconic to me is when people in other cities can identify them and DC trails in that regard.

I agree with you and don't think that the average person is even aware of the miami metro, much less it being iconic and certainly not more iconic than my list (obviously imo). LA is similar in that quite a few people that live here don't know that we have a subway. I'd guess more than half.

Edit to add that I included the Staten Island ferry because its transit and imo it's iconic in that it is easily identifiable as NYC.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:02 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,572,023 times
n.y.c., chicago (most would just assume n.y.c.).
maybe boston, d.c. (again, most would just assume n.y.c.).
i dont think others are known at all (most would just assume n.y.c.).

Old 04-19-2020, 12:07 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,123,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
You don’t think the fact that the MBTA has colored trains is distinctive .
Not at all. I've been to Boston multiple times and I didn't notice at all. But I'm well-traveled, so maybe that doesn't stand out to me personally.

Boston's system is not distinctive at all to me.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:13 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Not at all. I've been to Boston multiple times and I didn't notice at all. But I'm well-traveled, so maybe that doesn't stand out to me personally.

Yeah.. I've taken it and I feel the same...both trains and stations. That's why said DC earlier because you won't mistake it for another city/system.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:14 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
n.y.c., chicago (most would just assume n.y.c.).
maybe boston, d.c. (again, most would just assume n.y.c.).
i dont think others are known at all (most would just assume n.y.c.).
I don't know.. I think elevated trains are more synonymous with Chicago since the elevated parts of the MTA are in the outerboroughs.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:16 PM

506 posts, read 476,983 times
I'd rate the most iconic transit systems in this order:

1) NYC subway
2) San Francisco cable cars
3) Disney monorail system
4) Chicago L
5) Amtrak

I feel like even a person who never left their house could instantly recognize those transit systems, because they are prominent in TV, movies, and culture.

The DC Metro is iconic, but really only for people who have used it. The system hardly ever makes an appearance in movies or popular culture about DC. Same with Philadelphia and Boston. When movies and TV shows take place in NYC, SF, or Chicago, you will almost always see the subway, cable cars, and L. That's not the case with other cities, like Boston and Philadelphia. Rocky didn't take the train.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:18 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
The Seattle monorail has been iconic for decades. Maybe I'm older and it's generational or maybe there are other reasons that you're not familiar.

Of course average people in NYC, Chicago, and DC could identify "their" rail, but that's not an indication of them being iconic as much as it is familiar. Iconic to me is when people in other cities can identify them and DC trails in that regard.

I agree with you and don't think that the average person is even aware of the miami metro, much less it being iconic and certainly not more iconic than my list (obviously imo). LA is similar in that quite a few people that live here don't know that we have a subway. I'd guess more than half.

Edit to add that I included the Staten Island ferry because its transit and imo it's iconic in that it is easily identifiable as NYC.
When I think of "monorail" or elevated newer trains, Vancouver comes to mind before Seattle. Orlando's monorail is pretty much world renown. The elevated trains in Miami are depicted in movies. SF cable cars and the El in Chicago are obvious for above ground iconic systems. For underground subway trains or stations at least in the US I don't see any places having more iconic ones than DC and NYC. Either by depiction on TV or just common knowledge. Others may be known, but not as iconic. The BART is pretty recognizable at least it's rail cars are, but again the underground subway stations themselves I doubt the average person would differentiate from say LA. This isn't the case with the vaulted waffle ceilings of DC's metro. It's unmistakable.

Staten Island Ferry would maybe the most iconic form of transit that is not rail, but I wouldn't place it in the top 5 on the continent.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:20 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post

I don’t get how DC looks so different though.

Like DC looks like a 2nd generation system. If you’re really familiar with it maybe you can tell the different but I don’t get how it’s clearly more distinctive than Boston’s. Like a slightly different front window is now something Joe on the street would see.
Like it’s nowhere near the Chicago L.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City