Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 07:59 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,977,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
San Francisco Cable Car

NYC Subway

New Orleans Streetcars

Chicago L Loop

In the 90s, maybe LA city buses since Speed was such a fantastically ridiculous movie. If not, then maybe the Boston T? It'd be nice if people knew the Pittsburgh funiculars. It's fun to say funicular and the Duquesne Incline has quite a view.
I agree with your list. Those four are it for me. New Orleans may even be a stretch, if you aren't familiar with the movie "A streetcar named desire". San Francisco's streetcars may be more iconic at this point although the fact that they don't use a consistent livery probably makes that not true.

Speed used the Santa Monica Big Blue Bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 08:13 PM

556 posts, read 714,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Yeah, that was my point. Below is what you wrote that I responded to. My point was that why would anyone know what a system looked like that they had never seen or been on? It's not an issue specific to "someone in LA". And I think that many that see the DC metro on tv and in movies are actually looking at LA or Toronto many times. They stand in a lot for DC.
I guess, but that's like saying an underground station on the Chicago El could sub in for an NYC subway scene. I guess, sure, any system could be misrepresented using transit from another city, but that doesn't make a system less iconic to me. Just because parts of the Chicago El can be made to look like the NYC subway, the NYC subway is still iconic. Just because the station platform in Baltimore can be used for a DC Metro scene (granted, I would argue they usually put in DC's vaulted ceiling precisely because it then makes it believable) doesn't mean the DC Metro is not iconic.

Old 03-19-2021, 08:17 PM

556 posts, read 714,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I think it depends on where the Chicago El is seen. No other city has the El snaking through the CBD like Chicago does. If people saw Chicago's underground stations, they probably couldn't distinguish it between most other places.
Sure, and similarly for DC. If you saw an aboveground station in DC, you might think it could be Atlanta or BART or Miami. But if you saw one of the urban core stations with the architecture, you would know instantly that it's DC.

In all cases, it depends. Different systems have different elements that make them iconic. In NYC it's probably the trains and the numbers/letter on the front. In DC it's the stations. In Chicago it's the elevated Downtown Loop.

Old 03-20-2021, 03:32 AM

14,162 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I think anyone who knows at least a bit about public transit systems would be able to look at this icon and know where it's from: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...x-MBTA.svg.png

I think I replied to that post last year, but of all the transit systems in NA Boston and NYC's cars probably look the least similar. NYC's are aggressively silver/gray (example) while Boston's are almost annoyingly colorful (example).
That's an iconic logo for sure, but I thought the subject had more to do with the vehicles and the physical plant.

Boston's color-coded rail cars are also unique, however (although Philadelphia also uses color cues on its rapid-transit cars, they aren't as noticeable as those in Boston). But the reason they're unique is the same reason Philadelphia can do this: the equipment isn't interoperable, that is, it can't be used on any other route than the one it was made for.

(I was ready to dust off my old cudgels when someone referred to the Washington Metro's squashed-barrel-vault underground stations as "most unique" — "unique" means "there's only one of these," and thus it doesn't admit to relative or comparative adjectives ("truly" is the only really acceptable modifying adjective) — but I realize I lost that battle eons ago. However, not all of the underground Metro stations are deep-tunneled. Most of the tunnels and stations in downtown DC, including the two interchange stations (Metro Center and Gallery Place), are cut-and-cover.

Old 03-20-2021, 10:43 AM

8,496 posts, read 4,555,950 times
Boston had a very well known song written about its transit system:

Old 03-20-2021, 12:16 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braybarton View Post
Outside of NY and Chicago, not much. the SF cable cars are iconic. That's about it.
Chicago is known for its L-train, though history and Hollywood have muddied the water a bit on whether NYC has elevated trains as well (Spidey 2 perhaps the most memorable recent-ish example). I think nationally, cable cars and NYC subways are still tops for near universal recognition. Chicago would be an “almost” next tier. At least to me.

Old 03-20-2021, 12:38 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Chicago is known for its L-train, though history and Hollywood have muddied the water a bit on whether NYC has elevated trains as well (Spidey 2 perhaps the most memorable recent-ish example). I think nationally, cable cars and NYC subways are still tops for near universal recognition. Chicago would be an “almost” next tier. At least to me.
I have totally seen Ls in say Brooklyn and initially thought the s show was in Chicago until they proved otherwise.

Most Chicago Media has the L very prominently featured. Shameless, Chicago PD, Ferris Bueller, Blues Brothers etc.

The Center City is named after a feature of its Transit system.

Chicago is firmly in the first tier.

Old 03-20-2021, 01:58 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1982 View Post
here is a tour of Vancouver's Fully automated Skytrain network which is one of the most advanced systems on the continent, also many great views of Vancouver's multiple skylines

Interesting video.

His routes are a bit odd, but it was done for coverage rather than commuting.

Another iconic-ish piece of Vancouver transit is of course the specially built 400 passenger seabuses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4MwkTlXivY

Old 03-20-2021, 02:59 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,844,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I have totally seen Ls in say Brooklyn and initially thought the s show was in Chicago until they proved otherwise.

Most Chicago Media has the L very prominently featured. Shameless, Chicago PD, Ferris Bueller, Blues Brothers etc.

The Center City is named after a feature of its Transit system.

Chicago is firmly in the first tier.
There’s never any confusion where about where cable cars are, and NYC may have a copyright on the public’s mind regarding subways. I don’t think Chicago and the L-trains are quite there, but I do think they are clearly at 3 though, so tiering is perhaps just semantics. The only other mode of transit I think that is within shouting distance is Disney’s monorail. Otherwise Americans just don’t know/don’t care.

Old 03-20-2021, 03:52 PM

4,604 posts, read 2,992,254 times
Agreed: SF cable cars, NYC subway, and Chicago L are the most "iconic," by a wide margin.

Another, less famous but distinctive, and perhaps not mentioned yet in the thread,
are Seattle's big green-and-white ferry boats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City