Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 03:56 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
There’s never any confusion where about where cable cars are, and NYC may have a copyright on the public’s mind regarding subways. I don’t think Chicago and the L-trains are quite there, but I do think they are clearly at 3 though, so tiering is perhaps just semantics. The only other mode of transit I think that is within shouting distance is Disney’s monorail. Otherwise Americans just don’t know/don’t care.
Once upon a time Seattle's monorail was up there. I've mentioned before, but I think of the Disney monorail as more of an amusement ride than transit, but having ridden both, Seattle's largely serves as an amusement ride as well.

I agree about the Chicago "L" and NYCT's el's being interchangeable to some degree, but only outside of the Loop. Where the "L" is iconic imo is the downtown loop. Nothing like that outside Chicago anymore. It was even more iconic because they used wooden platforms. Are those still there?

Thinking outside of the box, DFW's old terminal train was once iconic as I believe it was the first. Or at least by far the most ridden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2021, 04:01 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
I’ve ridden Seattle’s monorail, and it’s nice, but it’s not known by anyone. I think back in the day, Disney charged to use the monorail with an e-ticket, so calling it an amusement ride was correct. But it’s now just folded into Disney’s transit system, with over 50 million annual riders alone. It’s not really fair to be included in a discussion of publicly-funded transits, but it’s image is probably the only thing approaching the top 3 as far as the public consciousness.

Old 03-20-2021, 04:09 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,983,013 times
Quote:
I’ve ridden Seattle’s monorail, and it’s nice, but it’s not known by anyone. I think back in the day, Disney charged to use the monorail with an e-ticket, so calling it an amusement ride was correct. But it’s now just folded into Disney’s transit system, with over 50 million annual riders alone. It’s not really fair to be included in a discussion of publicly-funded transits, but it’s image is probably the only thing approaching the top 3 as far as the public consciousness.
Agreed. I think that if Family Feud asked 100 people to name something about Seattle in 1985, that the monorail would have been number 1 or 2 (along with the space needle and rain). In 2021 it maybe doesn't even get mentioned.

Old 03-20-2021, 06:47 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
Quote:
still unclear about san frans. is it used for the public or is it like monorail/duck tours/dubble decker bus tours/... where its managed by a private company ?

Old 03-20-2021, 06:52 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,741,154 times
For me it’s NYC, SF, Chicago...nobody else even has a transit system I really even know about, let alone one which is iconic.

Old 03-20-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
still unclear about san frans. is it used for the public or is it like monorail/duck tours/dubble decker bus tours/... where its managed by a private company ?
It’s run by the city public transit authority. Though it’s mostly utilized by tourists.

Last edited by Heel82; 03-20-2021 at 07:27 PM..

Old 03-20-2021, 10:42 PM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
It’s run by the city public transit authority. Though it’s mostly utilized by tourists.
And the SFMTA charges significantly more — 267 percent of the single-trip cash fare and more than three times the regular single-trip fare using the regional fare card or the Muni Mobile app — to ride the two cable car routes than it does its buses and light rail lines.

Regular commuters can ride the cable cars with their monthly Clipper card or Muni Mobile passes, so the fares are clearly aimed at the tourists.

Old 03-20-2021, 10:57 PM

Back in the 90s, my parents decided it would be fun to ride the cable cars down the street and then back up. But they didn’t realize it wasn’t a stay on and get a return trip when we were forced to off at the bottom of the hill. The return line was a couple hours, so they decided to walk back up. It was fish day in Chinatown so I learned what the insides looked like as we walked by; my mom got excited by a parade so we ran down the street to see it only to realize it was a huge funeral procession; came back to Coit Tower where we had parked and while at the top realized that there was a meter maid going through the lot and you still had to pay on Sundays so we had to run down to move the car before she got to it; ended up stuck in traffic and eating hot sandwiches as we crossed the GG bridge and immediately turned around just so my dad could say we were on it. Still, a fun day.

Old 03-21-2021, 02:52 AM

1,803 posts, read 935,830 times
The systems listed certainly all have merit and good list. SF Cable cars certainly iconic AND pretty. Clearly, remain for tourist and certainly was so for many many decades already. NYC of course its scope and as the others.... so many generations of millions upon millions of users for a century and more. Some other cities of course also. Boston with the first elevated and Philadelphia also a elevated and other modes.

Chicago has no cable cars left or trolley lines or trams. Its system has much dating back over a century and certainly served the city and Nation well. When Manhattan removed its EL from Manhattan streets. The Subway became its key used mode and known for even though the Boroughs are served by elevated tracks also.

Chicago considered removing the downtown L especially also and perhaps it all? It was seen as a relic, certainly outdated by the 70s 80s and powers sought its removal..... yes it survived. Though most of hist history few saw it as in any form touristy. This century it has earned a aspect of that for tourist especially to go around the Business District and a bit back in time by skyscrapers of every era from oldest to newest.

Most posting here certainly know of it, saw it in some movies, realize it is not the only US System elevated .... yet being in the core as it is had it evolve to a bit more today and of course its use will go on for more decades as restorations, new stations and restored stations and some still very must intact for generations with wood platforms still. So earning respect for its longevity and survival despite some periods its days were seen as numbered. Money to replace it with whatever else..... not being there perhaps was key to its survival. Also of course apparently well-built and lasted on a old iron skeleton that tends to be lower to the street then some other cities with one I have seen.

Saw videos of Canadian lines posted whose boast is more as newer systems vs US cities and trolley systems that did survive more then US trolley systems of old where most were lost. I doubt most see it as Iconic? Perhaps for Canadians it truly is. Still generally these oldest systems in legacy cities that played a key roll in the history of the USA some give that status of survival, legacy and so many generations of use. The ones most listed clearly make this top 5 list that seems pretty solid with generally the SF up the hill trolley as historic and touristy for the longest.

In looking on YouTube .... there are many videos of riding the Chicago L years old and newer. This one I viewed as the second I sought I chose to use here as not too long and does show it looping around the Loop of downtown Chicago and heading west and then south for a bit and west again to the edge of the city for 11.2 miles for its run of the Pink Line. Not the longer of the lines but one that may get used less for these videos and the one line I never was on past the Loop on visits or when I lived there as other lines I have used.

The L Chicago Pink line though downtown Loop and outward in
a video that did not get a lot of views compared to others. Yet
I thought was pretty good though not done by the CTA as others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=850Or-s2HN0

Old 03-21-2021, 06:17 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
The systems listed certainly all have merit and good list. SF Cable cars certainly iconic AND pretty. Clearly, remain for tourist and certainly was so for many many decades already. NYC of course its scope and as the others.... so many generations of millions upon millions of users for a century and more. Some other cities of course also. Boston with the first elevated and Philadelphia also a elevated and other modes.

Chicago has no cable cars left or trolley lines or trams. Its system has much dating back over a century and certainly served the city and Nation well. When Manhattan removed its EL from Manhattan streets. The Subway became its key used mode and known for even though the Boroughs are served by elevated tracks also.

Chicago considered removing the downtown L especially also and perhaps it all? It was seen as a relic, certainly outdated by the 70s 80s and powers sought its removal..... yes it survived. Though most of hist history few saw it as in any form touristy. This century it has earned a aspect of that for tourist especially to go around the Business District and a bit back in time by skyscrapers of every era from oldest to newest.
Oops!

Chicago's oldest elevated lines predate Boston's first, which opened in 1901 and now no longer exists.

What Boston has is the nation's oldest subway. It opened as a trolley tunnel in 1897, then, when the elevated opened, its trains ran through it for eight years until a parallel downtown rapid transit tunnel opened in 1909.

Talk of dismantling the Loop 'L' dates back to the 1920s; a book I bought on the history of "downtown" as an idea contained an editorial cartoon opposing a subway proposal floated then as sucking the life out of outlying neighborhood business districts; it depicted a downtown businessman wielding a "Loop Tube Magnet" that attracted people to it like iron filings.

Of course, now that the structure is a National Historic Landmark, any talk of removing it has now become moot. (I do remember reading articles about replacing it with subways on my first visit to Chicago in 1974.)

Quote:
Saw videos of Canadian lines posted whose boast is more as newer systems vs US cities and trolley systems that did survive more then US trolley systems of old where most were lost. I doubt most see it as Iconic? Perhaps for Canadians it truly is. Still generally these oldest systems in legacy cities that played a key roll in the history of the USA some give that status of survival, legacy and so many generations of use. The ones most listed clearly make this top 5 list that seems pretty solid with generally the SF up the hill trolley as historic and touristy for the longest.
Keep in mind that Canada's first subway line didn't open until 1954.

While the entity that runs that subway, the Toronto Transit Commission, enjoys a near-stellar reputation among North American mass transit agencies, if there's a Canadian transit system that might be considered "iconic," it would IMO be Montréal's Metro, the first of the French rubber-tired metros to open on this continent (Mexico City's first line would open six years later). The stations were the first on the continent to incorporate artwork in a big way.

Torontonians do take pride in the city's streetcars, I will allow, and the city is busy building an east-west light metro line across its northern reaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City