Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 12:44 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
But you've seen the one in Bmore and know it exists too... Marta trains look like DC's. I'm not following your logic on being iconic/recognizable per the thread topic vs. just knowing a system exists. I know Seattle has a system but wouldn't say it belongs in this conversation.
MARTA is more well known and used than BMore Link/metro.

Baltimore Transit is a mediocre hodgepodge of patronage agencies that no one can name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 12:46 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I’m seeing mentions of Dallas LA Amtrak New Orleans and the Disney monorail ...

Am I in an alternate universe?

All up and day on these board we y’all about how only 5/6 cities in America have good transit

NYC Chicago DC Boston Philly and barely SF. All day long, all year long on these boards. As igniting.

Then we get to this thread and we get these left field answers. Beyond confused right now.
You're confusing threads that discuss size of systems, ridersships, efficiency etc... this thread is about being iconic and recognizable which is why the SF trolley system is being brought up vs. the Bart system.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:46 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
I live in Baltimore and have ridden the one subway line once-just out f curiosity. It’s a carbon copy of DC and barely used.

Dallas has a transit system??? (Seriously)

LA just built a few subway lines right? Never seen em, or heard of anyone riding em...yet.

Meanwhile I’ve seen shots of the MARTA and I know it exists
Perhaps you haven't seen them yet, but LA metro trains are in quite a few movies, television shows and tons of commercials. There's a big scene in the Italian job remake where they blow up Hollywood Blvd and go into the subway. Then they mostly show the light rail though. There's the big chase scene in Collateral where Tom Cruise has to decide if Jamie Foxx got on the light rail (upstairs) or subway (downstairs).

Old 04-19-2020, 12:49 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
I'ma be real with ya'll. The Marta in Atlanta is more recognizable than Seattle's monorail. I'd definitely say Marta is more known. Not sure why Seattle is being brought up here.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:49 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
But you've seen the one in Bmore and know it exists too... Marta trains look like DC's. I'm not following your logic on being iconic/recognizable per the thread topic vs. just knowing a system exists. I know Seattle has a system but wouldn't say it belongs in this conversation.
DC has new train cars with stainless steel making up more than half the fleet now. DC will have completely retired the older train cars with brown on them in a couple years. This is why train cars will never be something that can be iconic, they run their course and are replaced at the end of their life-cycle which I mentioned earlier. Only station architecture can be iconic.

These are D.C.'s new train cars:

https://flic.kr/p/SYFYj5

Old 04-19-2020, 12:51 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
I’m seeing mentions of Dallas LA Amtrak New Orleans and the Disney monorail ...

Am I in an alternate universe?

All up and day on these board we y’all about how only 5/6 cities in America have good transit

NYC Chicago DC Boston Philly and barely SF. All day long, all year long on these boards. As igniting.

Then we get to this thread and we get these left field answers. Beyond confused right now.
I get where you are coming from, which is why I was confused about Amtrak, and the Staten Island Ferry lol.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
DC has new train cars with stainless steel making up more than half the fleet now. DC will have completely retired the older train cars with brown on them in a couple years. This is why train cars will never be something that can be iconic, they run their course and are replaced at the end of their life-cycle which I mentioned earlier.

I actually really like the brown on the trains. Made the system all tie in nicely and showed off the design era. Oh well, times change.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:53 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
DC has new train cars with stainless steel making up more than half the fleet now. DC will have completely retired the older train cars with brown on them in a couple years. This is why train cars will never be something that can be iconic, they run their course and are replaced at the end of their life-cycle which I mentioned earlier.

I've seen the new cars shown before on CD. I said it then, and I really don't want to sound rude, but for my taste they look very old school, when compared to other metro systems in the world.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I'ma be real with ya'll. The Marta in Atlanta is more recognizable than Seattle's monorail. I'd definitely say Marta is more known. Not sure why Seattle is being brought up here.
I brought up Seattle to say that the mere existence of a system doesn't make it iconic or instantly recognizable which is why I thought it was weird bringing up Marta. It's there but iconic and distinct enough? I doubt it.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:56 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I've seen the new cars shown before on CD. I said it then, and I really don't want to sound rude, but for my taste they look very old school, when compared to other metro systems in the world.
Well, maybe you will like the 8000 series. This is what the other half of the system is being replaced with right now.

8000 Series Rail car

They will also have open train cars (Gangway).

Open Rail Cars (Gangway)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City