Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 10:17 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times

Advertisements

I’m not talking about ridership or usefulness or reliability I mean which cities Transit systems have the most association with the city. Like if you had an opening montage of establishing shots in a movie which ones would transit system first?

IMO it’s
1) New York
2) Chicago
3) San Francisco
4) New Orleans
5) Boston

And for SF the less useful parts of its transit system are most iconic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 10:24 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times
The waffle ceiling of DC's metro system is pretty iconic imo. It's instantly recognizable and unique.

Boston? The average person wouldn't know it's Boston. They would probably mistake it for NYC subway.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:31 AM

1,393 posts, read 859,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
The waffle ceiling of DC's metro system is pretty iconic imo. It's instantly recognizable and unique.

Boston? The average person wouldn't know it's Boston. They would probably mistake it for NYC subway.
By iconic I take this to mean most well known..not necessarily recognizable? Boston having America’s first subway system would give it some points in a thread like this...

Old 04-19-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
By iconic I take this to mean most well known..not necessarily recognizable? Boston having America’s first subway system would give it additional points in a thread like this...
I assumed with the note regarding

"which cities Transit systems have the most association with the city" and

"Like if you had an opening montage of establishing shots in a movie which ones would transit system first?"

That this meant which ones would people recognize the city the system is in.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:36 AM

1,393 posts, read 859,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I assumed with the note regarding

"which cities Transit systems have the most association with the city" and

"Like if you had an opening montage of establishing shots in a movie which ones would transit system first?"

That this meant which ones would people recognize the city the system is in.
Yea I suppose..I don’t think Boston is very recognizable per se but would hold some level of iconic importance by being first

Old 04-19-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Yea I suppose..I don’t think Boston is very recognizable per se but would hold some level of iconic importance by being first
There is that too....

Old 04-19-2020, 10:43 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,552,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I’m not talking about ridership or usefulness or reliability I mean which cities Transit systems have the most association with the city. Like if you had an opening montage of establishing shots in a movie which ones would transit system first?

IMO it’s
1) New York
2) Chicago
3) San Francisco
4) New Orleans
5) Boston

And for SF the less useful parts of its transit system are most iconic
If your first paragraph is the criteria then I don't see how any list is created without the DC Metro being in the top 5. The stations and the trains themselves are super iconic.

And by transit systems are you choosing SF because of the trolleys or BART? The trolleys IMO are the more iconic and well known.

This includes Canada so I would go with:

MTA NYC subway
The El Chicago
SF street cars/trolleys
Washington DC Metro system
Montreal metro subway

Boston and Philly have both historic associations with their respective cities, but as for iconic or immediate association with the city goes I would place after the previous five. I don't know how many people could correctly identify the interior of an underground station in either city just from an immediate glance at one photo. The others are unmistakable.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:52 AM

14,019 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
If your first paragraph is the criteria then I don't see how any list is created without the DC Metro being in the top 5. The stations and the trains themselves are super iconic.

And by transit systems are you choosing SF because of the trolleys or BART? The trolleys IMO are the more iconic and well known.

This includes Canada so I would go with:

MTA NYC subway
The El Chicago
SF street cars/trolleys
Washington DC Metro system
Montreal metro subway

Boston and Philly have both historic associations with their respective cities, but as for iconic or immediate association with the city goes I would place after the previous five. I don't know how many people could correctly identify the interior of an underground station in either city just from an immediate glance at one photo. The others are unmistakable.
No offense but DC, Atlanta and BART basically all have the same look because they were built basically together. SF is iconic due to its cable Cars not BART.

The T is more Iconic than the DC metro. The Trains are actually colored. That’s pretty unique in America (although Philly has Blue/Orange Trim)

DC is like LA or Atlanta in it has a Subway but I don’t think it really has the same association with the city. The Red Line on the Longfellow is usually in the opening montage, like the Loop in Chicago is. Plus the Green Line/Kenmore Station is usually in opening shots of Red Sox national broadcasts.

Not on the level on the L because it seems to be in the background of like every outdoor shot in Chicago PD and basically every transitional shot in anything set in Chicago.

Old 04-19-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
No offense but DC, Atlanta and BART basically all have the same look because they were built basically together. SF is iconic due to its cable Cars not BART.

The T is more Iconic than the DC metro. The Trains are actually colored. That’s pretty unique in America (although Philly has Blue/Orange Trim)

DC is like LA in it has a Subway but I don’t think it really has the same association with the city.
The first half of your first sentence is not accurate. The systems were build the same time but look different. BART and Metro don't look alike. MARTA comes closest to DC in look, but doesn't have the iconic stations and DC's newer trains separate it from Marta. DC Metro is a brand like MTA and the El. Numerous movie scenes or TV shows have depicted the Metro. I don't know of too many depicting the T.

Honestly, I believe the average person would be able to correctly identify a BART train before the T.

You should read up on the Washington DC Metro system and it's history of design pattern and what makes it so unique. It honestly goes beyond the US in terms of being iconic.

https://www.thecoolist.com/washingto...way-in-the-us/

Old 04-19-2020, 11:09 AM

Look up the designer of the DC metro system, Chicago born Harry Weese.

He's won numerous awards on this by various architectural groups.

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/11/03/a...ashington.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City