Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Trio of cities
Boston+ NYC + Montreal 68 67.33%
Vancouver + Seattle + Los Angeles 33 32.67%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 10:49 AM

1,055 posts, read 802,618 times

Advertisements

My take having lived in two of the cities and traveled to all of them. And comparing them as two trios versus three one-to-one comparisons.

Discuss anything from:

Cities - Not sure what this means, they are all cities.

Economy - West coast generally doing better than the east coast.

Quality of life - Highly subjective but I prefer the west coast cities.

Recreational activities - West coast, no contest. Pretty much anything you can do on the east coast you can do on the west coast. But the east coast doesn't have the outdoor recreation options of the west coast.

Education/Schools K-12 - Hard to judge.

Universities/ Research institutions - Tied. Each of the trios has three top 25 global universities. With the Canadian cities being laggards here.

Culture/Population/Diversity - West coast. NYC, LA and Vancouver are very diverse. Boston and Montreal (and Seattle) are still heavily white/European.

Politics - All are pretty liberal.

Infrastructure/Transportation - West coast. East coast tends to have more extensive public transportation; west coast more extensive freeways. East coast infrastructure is getting very old. NYC subways are a national embarrassment as are it's airports.

Airports etc - West Coast. LA has LAX, Burbank, Ontario, OC and Long Beach. NYC has JKF, LGA and Newark. All of the NY airports are third world, though in the process of being updated. Seattle and Boston are gateways to Asia and Europe, respectively, though neither is in great shape. Vancouver and Montreal are small, regional airports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2020, 03:27 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,585,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
My take having lived in two of the cities and traveled to all of them. And comparing them as two trios versus three one-to-one comparisons.

Discuss anything from:

Recreational activities - West coast, no contest. Pretty much anything you can do on the east coast you can do on the west coast. But the east coast doesn't have the outdoor recreation options of the west coast.

Universities/ Research institutions - Tied. Each of the trios has three top 25 global universities. With the Canadian cities being laggards here.

Culture/Population/Diversity - West coast. NYC, LA and Vancouver are very diverse. Boston and Montreal (and Seattle) are still heavily white/European.

Infrastructure/Transportation - West coast. East coast tends to have more extensive public transportation; west coast more extensive freeways. East coast infrastructure is getting very old. NYC subways are a national embarrassment as are it's airports.

Airports etc - West Coast. LA has LAX, Burbank, Ontario, OC and Long Beach. NYC has JKF, LGA and Newark. All of the NY airports are third world, though in the process of being updated. Seattle and Boston are gateways to Asia and Europe, respectively, though neither is in great shape. Vancouver and Montreal are small, regional airports.
In regards to Vancouver no. SEA has 21 international destinations, not including Canada, YVR has 45.

It's not a small regional airport at all. Seattle is upping it's game though, since YVR and SEA are competitors, but it's Seattle playing catch-up on the international front.

Old 12-06-2020, 03:33 PM

6,819 posts, read 6,068,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sportsfan View Post
If you prefer weather, nature, and outdoors but still like some big city amenities, West wins.
What’s the point of comparing the cities if you’re just going to base your vote on their surroundings? Are you telling me that any combination of three western cities would still have your vote? Let’s say: Tacoma, San Diego, and Portland vs Montreal, Boston, and NYC? The former trio still wins for “weather, nature, and outdoors”.

Old 12-06-2020, 03:53 PM

724 posts, read 405,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
What’s the point of comparing the cities if you’re just going to base your vote on their surroundings? Are you telling me that any combination of three western cities would still have your vote? Let’s say: Tacoma, San Diego, and Portland vs Montreal, Boston, and NYC? The former trio still wins for “weather, nature, and outdoors”.
Oh I don't know......maybe because surroundings are a part of a city that people enjoy? What a novel thought...

Your second question is senseless too. LA is the second biggest city in the country, so swapping it with Tacoma definitely changes the comparison. "Weather, nature, and outdoors" is a "part" of the comparison, not the only criteria! DUH!!!

Old 12-06-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post

Discuss anything from:

This is a fair assessment and comparison.

Old 12-06-2020, 04:16 PM

14,037 posts, read 15,061,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
In regards to Vancouver no. SEA has 21 international destinations, not including Canada, YVR has 45.

It's not a small regional airport at all. Seattle is upping it's game though, since YVR and SEA are competitors, but it's Seattle playing catch-up on the international front.
I love how he counts Ontario CA but totally dismissed Montréal

Old 12-06-2020, 05:10 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,585,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I love how he counts Ontario CA but totally dismissed Montréal
Yes I noticed that.

Old 12-06-2020, 06:08 PM

6,819 posts, read 6,068,537 times
Quote:
Oh I don't know......maybe because surroundings are a part of a city that people enjoy? What a novel thought...

Your second question is senseless too. LA is the second biggest city in the country, so swapping it with Tacoma definitely changes the comparison. "Weather, nature, and outdoors" is a "part" of the comparison, not the only criteria! DUH!!!
I was swapping LA with SD, but go off. And even at #2 in the country, it's not particularly close to NYC in any metric I can think of.

Quote:
This is a fair assessment and comparison.
But that's the thing: any assessment that doesn't give economy and infrastructure to the east in a landslide isn't rooted in reality. The combined GDP of the western metros is like 60-70% the eastern cities from what I can tell. The eastern trio has some of the best public transit systems on the continent. Boston's Big Dig was one of the most ambitious highway projects to be completed by any American or Canadian city. New York has a huge number of ornate and famous bridges and skyscrapers that the western cities can only dream of. The two categories aren't very close or debateable (just like how "weather" clearly goes to the west, but isn't a unique trait of any of the cities. The whole coast has good weather.)

Vancouver is also like 1% black and/or Hispanic, but sure: it's waay more diverse than MTL or Boston.

Old 12-06-2020, 06:15 PM

24,565 posts, read 18,314,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

Yep. I was going to refute that. My sister lives in Vancouver and, pre-COVID, has had years where she was an Air Canada frequent flyer. It’s really good Asia service. She generally does Lufthansa to Frankfurt because Star Alliance. BOS-YVR is seasonal, unfortunately. It’s not a high volume city pair in the winter.

I loathe LA so I pick East Coast.

Old 12-06-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I was swapping LA with SD, but go off. And even at #2 in the country, it's not particularly close to NYC in any metric I can think of.

But that's the thing: any assessment that doesn't give economy and infrastructure to the east in a landslide isn't rooted in reality. The combined GDP of the western metros is like 60-70% the eastern cities from what I can tell. The eastern trio has some of the best public transit systems on the continent. Boston's Big Dig was one of the most ambitious highway projects to be completed by any American or Canadian city. New York has a huge number of ornate and famous bridges and skyscrapers that the western cities can only dream of. The two categories aren't very close or debateable (just like how "weather" clearly goes to the west, but isn't a unique trait of any of the cities. The whole coast has good weather.)

Vancouver is also like 1% black and/or Hispanic, but sure: it's waay more diverse than MTL or Boston.
Ohhhhhhhh, 1 city in the TRIO isn't diverse in some groups (1 category in the criteria), even though it has tons of Asian diversity......Wonder why the thread is about a "TRIO" comparison since we're going to pick one category about one city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City