Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Better Trio of cities
Boston+ NYC + Montreal 68 67.33%
Vancouver + Seattle + Los Angeles 33 32.67%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 03:33 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,140 posts, read 7,610,170 times

Advertisements

Which trio is the best? One on East Coast of North America, one on the West.

Discuss anything from:

Cities
Economy
Quality of life
Recreational activities
Education/Schools K-12
Universities/ Research institutions
Culture/Population/Diversity
Politics
Infrastructure/Transportation
Airports etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 03:37 PM

313 posts, read 219,688 times
Oh dear...

Montreal > Vancouver in everything listed aside from politics and airports.
Boston > Seattle in everything listed here.
NYC > LA in everything listed...

It's a no-brainer for me: Montreal-Boston-NYC >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Vancouver-Seattle-LA

Old 04-22-2020, 04:11 PM

12,195 posts, read 8,095,419 times
Boston is my favorite city, clean, polished, fun and charming... yet dense and lively with world class offerings. Montreal is like Europe Lite with a North American twist. New York City is fun as well and I dont mind it.

Boston-Montreal-NYC>LA-Seattle-Vancouver.

Cities: Honestly all are great. Boston lacks on night life the most, errhh. Boston pulls it down here.
Economy: Seattle>Vancouver>Boston>LA>Montreal>NYC
Quality of life: Vancouver>Montreal>Boston>Seattle>NYC>LA
Recreational activities: Vancouver>Seattle>LA/Boston>Montreal>NYC
Education/Schools K-12: Boston>Vancouver>Montreal>Seattle>>NYC>>>>>LA
Universities/ Research institutions: Boston>NYC>Everyone else
Culture/Population/Diversity: NYC>LA>Vancouver>Boston>Montreal>Seattle
Politics: Vancouver/Montreal>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Everyone Else
Infrastructure/Transportation: Vancouver>Seattle/Boston>NYC>Montreal>LA
Airports etc: Airports Ive only been to BOS, JFK, LGA, EWR, SEA and LAX out of the main airports in the areas. NYCs were the worst but has the most redevelopment underway. So maybe NYC will shine here come 2030. But now everything is even.

Also Average Quality of Life between Each City: (Ranking, World, by Mercer)

3. Vancouver
21. Montreal
36. Boston
44. New York City
46. Seattle
66. Los Angeles

LA/Van/Seattle Average: 38.3
Boston/NYC/Montreal Average: 33.7

Old 04-22-2020, 04:32 PM

330 posts, read 295,932 times
Been to or have lived in every city on this list.

Cities:East Coast. NYC alone trumps everything in the US on an urban level, perhaps even on the entire planet in terms of overall power, depth and influence. The culture and history of NYC, Boston and Montreal vs Natural Beauty in Vancouver, Seattle and LA. Very subjective here that really depends on one’s liking.

Personally, I love the PCH, Venice Beach, Griffith Park, Stanley Park just as much as I love the MET, MoMA, Guggenheim, Freedom Trail, etc. Too hard to answer.

Economy: Tie. But NYC and Boston will take more hit than LA and Seattle in their economies due to the Coronavirus pandemic.

Quality of life: West Coast. Spaces are much more abundant on the west coast than NYC and Boston, which are more densely packed(but NYC and Boston are also far more urban than LA and Seattle due to density). Additionally, west coast has better weather, easier access to nature and cheaper rent.

Recreational activities: West Coast. No explanation needed

Education/Schools K-12: Tie. Edge to the east coast

Universities/ Research institutions: East Coast. LA has Caltech, UCLA, USC but can’t be compared to the sheer quantity of IVYs in Boston and NYC metro.

Culture/Population/Diversity-In terms culture, absolutely NYC and Boston take it. They are the cultural epicenters of this country. Diversity? Depends. Both NYC and LA are very very diverse. So are Boston and Seattle.

Politics-East Coast.Due to being closer to DC?

Infrastructure/Transportation-East Coast. MTA and the T are some of the best transit systems in this country. LA metro is catching up pretty quickly though.

Airports etc-Tie. If we factor in the whole NYC metro and LA metro, NYC/Boston have JFK, Newark, La Guardia, Logan. LA has LAX, Long Beach, Ontario.

Last edited by SnobbishDude; 04-22-2020 at 04:52 PM..

Old 04-22-2020, 04:42 PM

4,693 posts, read 3,042,436 times
I voted for the west coast cities.... because their climate / natural surroundings / recreational options
are unbeatable (even though I'll certainly grant that NYC is the most influential metro area in the US).

If you swapped out Boston for DC, that would raise the eastern cities' score,
but then let's swap out Seattle for San Francisco to raise the west coast cities' standing
(even though Seattle is beautiful... but Vancouver keeps the Northwest in the equation).

Old 04-22-2020, 06:18 PM

676 posts, read 652,019 times
This is pretty lopsided. I defintely agree with above poster Seattle should be swapped for San Francisco for a more even contest.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:27 PM

2,308 posts, read 1,725,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnobbishDude View Post
Been to or have lived in every city on this list.

Cities:East Coast. NYC alone trumps everything in the US on an urban level, perhaps even on the entire planet in terms of overall power, depth and influence. The culture and history of NYC, Boston and Montreal vs Natural Beauty in Vancouver, Seattle and LA. Very subjective here that really depends on one’s liking.

Personally, I love the PCH, Venice Beach, Griffith Park, Stanley Park just as much as I love the MET, MoMA, Guggenheim, Freedom Trail, etc. Too hard to answer.

Economy: Tie. But NYC and Boston will take more hit than LA and Seattle in their economies due to the Coronavirus pandemic.

Quality of life: West Coast. Spaces are much more abundant on the west coast than NYC and Boston, which are more densely packed(but NYC and Boston are also far more urban than LA and Seattle due to density). Additionally, west coast has better weather, easier access to nature and cheaper rent.

Recreational activities: West Coast. No explanation needed

Education/Schools K-12: Tie. Edge to the east coast

Universities/ Research institutions: East Coast. LA has Caltech, UCLA, USC but can’t be compared to the sheer quantity of IVYs in Boston and NYC metro.

Culture/Population/Diversity-In terms culture, absolutely NYC and Boston take it. They are the cultural epicenters of this country. Diversity? Depends. Both NYC and LA are very very diverse. So are Boston and Seattle.

Politics-East Coast.Due to being closer to DC?

Infrastructure/Transportation-East Coast. MTA and the T are some of the best transit systems in this country. LA metro is catching up pretty quickly though.

Airports etc-Tie. If we factor in the whole NYC metro and LA metro, NYC/Boston have JFK, Newark, La Guardia, Logan. LA has LAX, Long Beach, Ontario.
Transit definitely goes to the East Coast but you forgot to mention that Vancouver has an excellent transit system for a city of its size. It has nearly double the rail ridership and only a fraction of the population of LA.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:33 PM

313 posts, read 219,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Transit definitely goes to the East Coast but you forgot to mention that Vancouver has an excellent transit system for a city of its size. It has nearly double the rail ridership and only a fraction of the population of LA.
Meanwhile let’s not forget that Montreal, with [only] 4 million residents in the MSA, has the third busiest metro system in North America, behind only NYC and Mexico City. That’s also pretty mind-boggling.

Old 04-23-2020, 05:28 AM

37,272 posts, read 39,586,354 times
Boston+NYC+Montreal does it for me. Montreal differs quite strongly from the others in some ways, so it makes its trio more interesting to me. It’s also just a fantastic city overall. I’m not particularly swayed by climate, so the west coast ones don’t have that part to appeal to me, though I like that trio just fine. One other thing is that the trio for the east coast is actually quite close together, whereas the trio for the west coast has Los Angeles which is quite a distance away from the other two.

Maybe punt Boston from the east coast trio and put in Miami instead?

Old 04-23-2020, 05:51 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,306,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Boston+NYC+Montreal does it for me. Montreal differs quite strongly from the others in some ways, so it makes its trio more interesting to me. It’s also just a fantastic city overall. I’m not particularly swayed by climate, so the west coast ones don’t have that part to appeal to me, though I like that trio just fine. One other thing is that the trio for the east coast is actually quite close together, whereas the trio for the west coast has Los Angeles which is quite a distance away from the other two.

Maybe punt Boston from the east coast trio and put in Miami instead?
And boot Seattle out from the West coast and replace it with SF. Then it's a fair fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City