Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 07:06 AM

9 posts, read 9,832 times

Advertisements

What are the pros and cons of San Antonio vs Orlando/Tampa Bay in terms of cost of living, job market, safety, things to do, and scenery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 08:04 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matagofie View Post
What are the pros and cons of San Antonio vs Orlando/Tampa Bay in terms of cost of living, job market, safety, things to do, and scenery?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...ampa-fl-2.html

This thread pretty recently regarding San Antonio as well as Austin, and Orlando/Tampa Bay sheds some insight on the matter-in post 18 I describe specifically my thoughts and impressions of the 4 as other posters do. The job market and safety, I don't know if those are things specifically touches on in as much detail in the other thread, so perhaps those could be appropriate follow-up points here for those aware.

Old 04-23-2020, 10:56 AM

9,682 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matagofie View Post
You're late.

Old 04-23-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...ampa-fl-2.html

This thread pretty recently regarding San Antonio as well as Austin, and Orlando/Tampa Bay sheds some insight on the matter-in post 18 I describe specifically my thoughts and impressions of the 4 as other posters do. The job market and safety, I don't know if those are things specifically touches on in as much detail in the other thread, so perhaps those could be appropriate follow-up points here for those aware.
Thanks for sharing that thread.

Old 04-23-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
You're late.
Not sure what’s the point of commenting if you aren’t answering the question at hand

Old 04-23-2020, 08:46 PM

313 posts, read 218,447 times
I'll say this: Orlando is a love or hate type of thing. I think most people who live either within the core areas, (Downtown, Winter Park, Eola, College Park) and a select few suburbs like Windermere and the communities along Markham Woods (Longwood, Heathrow/Lake Mary, West Sanford) LOVE IT, but other than that, it's easy to see why a lot of people also hate it, as the rest is bland, hideous congested sprawl with horrendous traffic.
Tampa is similar in layout, but dirtier, and has a dead downtown... But it has Clearwater nearby, as well as Downtown St-Pete, which IMO, is the nicest and best "downtown" in Florida.

I can't speak on San Antonio, as I haven't been yet, but I do plan to visit as soon as this virus goes away.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:14 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblenbitz View Post
I'll say this: Orlando is a love or hate type of thing. I think most people who live either within the core areas, (Downtown, Winter Park, Eola, College Park) and a select few suburbs like Windermere and the communities along Markham Woods (Longwood, Heathrow/Lake Mary, West Sanford) LOVE IT, but other than that, it's easy to see why a lot of people also hate it, as the rest is bland, hideous congested sprawl with horrendous traffic.
Tampa is similar in layout, but dirtier, and has a dead downtown... But it has Clearwater nearby, as well as Downtown St-Pete, which IMO, is the nicest and best "downtown" in Florida.

I can't speak on San Antonio, as I haven't been yet, but I do plan to visit as soon as this virus goes away.
I likewise plan to visit San Antonio-I can't quite place a finger on it-on one hand, people rave about it being one of the best touristy downtown areas in the south and maybe even best historical areas in the whole US... on the other hand, it has a very low walkability score, people say the economics there aren't great compared to most other mid-sized cities, tourist trap gets thrown around, and generally, even though it's core perhaps has the most notable tourist presence in the state, it also seems to get a rep as the most boring or least provincial of the big 4 TX cities. I can't really understand that marriage or seem to balance it out. Admittedly though, it's economic prospects do look poor when compared to other TX cities, and it's surprising for me to see how hard it is to fly in there. I actually have to say, I think it's urbanity is somehow underrated by WalkScore (perhaps it's penalized for just how tourist-oriented it is, or the shops and restaurants along the Riverwalk don't factor into overall urbanity? It seems like a pretty happening urban center to me (at least compared to DT Tampa as of right now). I also think it has underrated urbanity. It seems to have a continuous grid pattern for several miles extending out from core in multiple directions, and traditional neighborhoods outside of the core like King William and Tobin Hill. By no stretch am I saying it's as urban as say New Orleans, but I think it has an outsized level of it compared to its size still, as it had a population of nearly 250K by 1930 (the last pre-automobile oriented census)-for comparison, it was almost as large as Houston and Dallas were then, and Austin had 50K, Orlando had 30K at that time)

As for Orlando and Tampa, they are a story in contrasts. Tampa has some urban factors (and more urban bones overall) that Orlando lacks, but Orlando is more cohesive and human-scaled and connected and accessible by walking or transit within its core. When you take a closer look at Tampa's core, it's almost like a miniature version of New Orleans with everything from settlement patterns to geography. But. Similar to New Orleans, Tampa has a lot more grit surrounding it's immediate core than Orlando-it also doesn't have the consistent presence of street facing retail that Downtown Orlando does-and it has neighborhoods with more activity post 9-5 life in LITERALLY every direction extending from downtown now (North to Tampa Heights/Armature Works, West to UT/Hyde Park/South Howard, South to Water Street area, and East towards Ybor City). A lot of work has been in Tampa's core-but all these things literally pull activity AWAY from Downtown after hours. Tampa also had more post-war white flight and suburbanization post WWII leading to the industrial, gritty, dirty vibe surrounding those areas, and more highways cutting across and dividing primary historic neighborhoods (and also MILES of industrial parks to the east dividing suburban Brandon from Urban Tampa).

Orlando for it's part, really was a small town up until Walt came over, and so it didn't have as much of that-unlike any major Florida city, Orlando at this point is effectively surrounded by primarily residential neighborhoods on all sides. Many of those residential neighborhoods, even the ones separated by 50/Colonial, also never lost their "Urban Village"/Main Street strips harkening back to Orlando's small town days. Orlando is like Austin in some senses in that smaller part, in that it is a "big town". I think that the Mills 50 area of Orlando at this point could be considered or compared with South Congress section of Austin (and there are other literal leafy areas connected by more human scaled residential strips (the new urbanist Baldwin Park, but historically, Thornton Park, College Park, Audubon Park, Ivanhoe Village, extending north into the very leafy Winter Park area and even that feel somewhat extending to Maitland.

Points to Orlando for having
-more connected neighborhoods
-more preserved housing stock
-a cleaner, less gritty feel
-(opinion, but) a more active recreational culture for hiking/biking and trail network
-feeling more cosmopolitan perhaps largely thanks to Disney/Universal, but also diversity, int'l flight, etc

Points to Tampa Bay for having
-a traditional urban grid
-big city feeling neighborhoods
-multiple city centers spread around area
-an omnipresent nautical culture with the bay, gulf, and all that comes with that
-"big city" events like Gasparilla, 3 pro sports, and a significantly more sophisticated cultural scene-region

Old 04-24-2020, 01:41 PM

2,228 posts, read 1,401,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I likewise plan to visit San Antonio-I can't quite place a finger on it-on one hand, people rave about it being one of the best touristy downtown areas in the south and maybe even best historical areas in the whole US... on the other hand, it has a very low walkability score, people say the economics there aren't great compared to most other mid-sized cities, tourist trap gets thrown around, and generally, even though it's core perhaps has the most notable tourist presence in the state, it also seems to get a rep as the most boring or least provincial of the big 4 TX cities. I can't really understand that marriage or seem to balance it out. Admittedly though, it's economic prospects do look poor when compared to other TX cities, and it's surprising for me to see how hard it is to fly in there. I actually have to say, I think it's urbanity is somehow underrated by WalkScore (perhaps it's penalized for just how tourist-oriented it is, or the shops and restaurants along the Riverwalk don't factor into overall urbanity? It seems like a pretty happening urban center to me (at least compared to DT Tampa as of right now). I also think it has underrated urbanity. It seems to have a continuous grid pattern for several miles extending out from core in multiple directions, and traditional neighborhoods outside of the core like King William and Tobin Hill. By no stretch am I saying it's as urban as say New Orleans, but I think it has an outsized level of it compared to its size still, as it had a population of nearly 250K by 1930 (the last pre-automobile oriented census)-for comparison, it was almost as large as Houston and Dallas were then, and Austin had 50K, Orlando had 30K at that time)

My view on San Antonio is that it is very family-oriented for both tourists and residents. If you are traveling with a family or looking for an affordable place to raise a family, San Antonio grades well. However it's not an exciting place for singles or young adults.

The metro ranks 24th in population but only 32nd in GDP, which is a big reason why it feels smaller than it is. (Neighboring Austin on the other hand is 30th in population and 26th in GDP). The reason for this isn't that the economy is "bad" so much as the fact that a lot of San Antonio's population is under the age of eighteen, and the education levels are somewhat middling. The good news is that the cost of living is low and it's certainly still a place where a middle class family can live affordably.

Regarding downtown and urbanity, I think San Antonio's downtown is more of a tourist area than a functioning downtown. Most of the major corporations in San Antonio are based in suburban locations. Certainly you can visit in San Antonio and stay in the riverwalk area without a car, but living without a car is not something that is done there. (Or anywhere in Texas, for the most part).

It should be said that San Antonio is growing extremely rapidly, and I think it's quite likely that it will be a very different looking city in 2030.

Old 05-01-2020, 03:31 PM

269 posts, read 181,531 times
I’ve lived in downtown Orlando (lake Eola) for most my adult life (go knights!), and been to Tampa many times. I now live in San Antonio for two years exactly today (Alamo height area). Below are my answers to your questions.

Cost of Living
I say it’s a wash. Sales tax in SA is 8.25%, Orlando is 6.5%. Property tax is higher than Orlando. House prices are similar, but you do get a much bigger house and backyard in SA.

Job market
Also a wash. If you looking for government Jobs, specifically DoD related, def SA. Orlando has more simulation and technology industries and def hospitality. Both cities have strong job growth.

Safety
Slight edge to Orlando from personal experience, not data. Avoid pine hills in west Orlando and some in south Orlando. I’m too new in SA to give feedback, but the drivers in SA are more intentionally reckless, if you want to correlate that to behaviors of general population.

Things to do
Orlando. Obviously all the theme parks galore, plus the nearby 30min beaches to the east or 1.5 hr to the west in Tampa. Orlando downtown wins hands down, so many bars and it’s clean and connected. Park ave in winter park is a gem. International tourist drive district. Lakes every where. San has river walk and Pearl, but full of tourists.

Scenery
Orlando, and especially Tampa. Water, water, water. Neighborhoods in Orlando are far more charming, connected, and curb appeal. SA has the gorgeous hill country, but that can be a 45min drive from the city core. SA neighborhoods are seriously ugly. Only Alamo height, king Williams, some in shavano are nice, but are overpriced. The streets in SA are just run down, with a block of restaurants then a block of vacant gas station.

Food
You didn’t ask, but Orlando hands down. Sure SA has Mexican food, but honestly, after living here and having all Mexican raised friends, even that is all that. Orlando def has more choices.

Old 05-01-2020, 03:45 PM

747 posts, read 498,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis32801 View Post
I’ve lived in downtown Orlando (lake Eola) for most my adult life (go knights!), and been to Tampa many times. I now live in San Antonio for two years exactly today (Alamo height area). Below are my answers to your questions.

Cost of Living
I say it’s a wash. Sales tax in SA is 8.25%, Orlando is 6.5%. Property tax is higher than Orlando. House prices are similar, but you do get a much bigger house and backyard in SA.

Job market
Also a wash. If you looking for government Jobs, specifically DoD related, def SA. Orlando has more simulation and technology industries and def hospitality. Both cities have strong job growth.

Safety
Slight edge to Orlando from personal experience, not data. Avoid pine hills in west Orlando and some in south Orlando. I’m too new in SA to give feedback, but the drivers in SA are more intentionally reckless, if you want to correlate that to behaviors of general population.

Things to do
Orlando. Obviously all the theme parks galore, plus the nearby 30min beaches to the east or 1.5 hr to the west in Tampa. Orlando downtown wins hands down, so many bars and it’s clean and connected. Park ave in winter park is a gem. International tourist drive district. Lakes every where. San has river walk and Pearl, but full of tourists.

Scenery
Orlando, and especially Tampa. Water, water, water. Neighborhoods in Orlando are far more charming, connected, and curb appeal. SA has the gorgeous hill country, but that can be a 45min drive from the city core. SA neighborhoods are seriously ugly. Only Alamo height, king Williams, some in shavano are nice, but are overpriced. The streets in SA are just run down, with a block of restaurants then a block of vacant gas station.

Food
You didn’t ask, but Orlando hands down. Sure SA has Mexican food, but honestly, after living here and having all Mexican raised friends, even that is all that. Orlando def has more choices.
I’m totally surprised to hear all these negative things about San Antonio’s eye test. I’ve never been (was actually supposed to move this summer before COVID screwed everything up) but I’ve always heard very good things about the aesthetics of San Antonio. I thought it was a beautiful, well-kept city in comparison to Houston for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City