Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2020, 02:06 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times

Advertisements

We going shed some on Oklahoma and Arkansas

Oklahoma City along with Tusla and Little Rock

Kansas City along with St Louis and Des Monies

How we are comparing the two

1. Jobs/Economy/Future growth

2. Housing stock

3. Nightclubs/Bars

4. Sports

5. Walkability downtown

6. Transportation

7. Airports amount of flights to many locations and feeling of airport begin in new city

8. Nice neighborhoods near Downtown

9. Schools

10. Scenery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 03:09 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
I expect most people would quite easily say that Kansas City-St Louis-Des Moines to be significantly higher quality places to live and enjoy pretty much across the board. For starters, Oklahoma City and Tulsa will be more adversely affected by the oil price crash.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:48 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,825,123 times
1. Kansas City
2. Des Moines

3. Tulsa
4. Little Rock

5. Saint Louis
6. Oklahoma City

The Missouri/Iowa pair wins.

Old 05-05-2020, 05:55 AM

14,192 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I expect most people would quite easily say that Kansas City-St Louis-Des Moines to be significantly higher quality places to live and enjoy pretty much across the board. For starters, Oklahoma City and Tulsa will be more adversely affected by the oil price crash.
How far is Stillwater from OKC? From I-35?

My entire experience of the Sooner State consists of a trip down that Interstate on the way from Kansas City to Dallas. (I also traveled along the stretch of historic US 66 in the Panhandle headed to KC from LA in 1980, but that was in the middle of the night.)

But there's an item I ran across in the course of my reporting on transportation infrastructure that struck me as perhaps illuminating for this discussion.

Some of you may know that for about 12-15 years now, Oklahoma Cityans (I'm told that's how they style it there; it should be "Oklahoma Citians" IMO) have voted on, and approved each time, a series of sales-tax hikes that fund a series of infrastructure, amenity and public-safety improvements. (The taxes are time-limited and sunset after a period of years. As the sunset approaches, the city draws up another list of projects and submits them to the voters for approval.) Collectively, these are known as the "Metropolitan Area Projects," or "MAPS." The Oklahoma City Streetcar, whose route is more extensive than KC's, is perhaps the highest-profile of these projects.

I found out in the course of researching the most recent MAPS round ("MAPS 4") that the whole ball got to rolling after an airline announced that it would not go ahead with its plans to build a new maintenance facility in Oklahoma City because it polled its employees and they said they absolutely didn't want to live there.

Old 05-05-2020, 06:10 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,765,828 times
Kansas City, Des Moines, and St. Louis in every category.
Little Rock does better on scenery I guess than any of the others. I like the Great Plains and the prairie so I like the others just as much.
Crime isn’t mentioned. They’re all pretty bad for that, but Des Moines and OKC have the better stats.

Old 05-05-2020, 07:32 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,825,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
How far is Stillwater from OKC? From I-35?

My entire experience of the Sooner State consists of a trip down that Interstate on the way from Kansas City to Dallas. (I also traveled along the stretch of historic US 66 in the Panhandle headed to KC from LA in 1980, but that was in the middle of the night.)

But there's an item I ran across in the course of my reporting on transportation infrastructure that struck me as perhaps illuminating for this discussion.

Some of you may know that for about 12-15 years now, Oklahoma Cityans (I'm told that's how they style it there; it should be "Oklahoma Citians" IMO) have voted on, and approved each time, a series of sales-tax hikes that fund a series of infrastructure, amenity and public-safety improvements. (The taxes are time-limited and sunset after a period of years. As the sunset approaches, the city draws up another list of projects and submits them to the voters for approval.) Collectively, these are known as the "Metropolitan Area Projects," or "MAPS." The Oklahoma City Streetcar, whose route is more extensive than KC's, is perhaps the highest-profile of these projects.

I found out in the course of researching the most recent MAPS round ("MAPS 4") that the whole ball got to rolling after an airline announced that it would not go ahead with its plans to build a new maintenance facility in Oklahoma City because it polled its employees and they said they absolutely didn't want to live there.
I wouldn't bundle the two cities together. Tulsa is a lot greener, artsy and historic [Route 66, art deco downtown]. It's like a smaller Atlanta.

Oklahoma City is like a smaller Dallas, growing quickly, and culturally more Western.

I prefer Tulsa far more. Then again, I grew up there and only left because I got tired of living in a right-wing hellhole of a state.

If Tulsa were in a different state, it'd be booming right now. It has a great arts scene, music scene and even a new municipal park that's getting rave review [google A Gathering Place]. But the state is OKC-centric and Tulsa's old money is content with stagnation.

Old 05-06-2020, 07:22 AM

1,351 posts, read 899,190 times
Tulsa's a pretty cool town, and definitely the best of that bunch OK/AR bunch. It feels like a smaller Kansas City on a lot of fronts, and is similar to Des Moines in that regard. I've always thought Tulsa and Des Moines are actually very similar, in their current states of existence.

OKC seems to have that sprawling feel, not dissimilar to Dallas/Ft. Worth, but lacks much remarkable character.

St. Louis and Little Rock seem to belong to different worlds. Little Rock the definitive South, and St. Louis always feels like an eastern city that happens to be west of the Mississippi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City