Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 06:11 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times

Advertisements

New York and Philadelphia had the longest running spots. Impressive for both. Obviously other cities are moving on, but still interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 06:31 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
New York and Philadelphia had the longest running spots. Impressive for both. Obviously other cities are moving on, but still interesting.
See post #19. I don’t feel like writing it all out twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulll View Post
That's definitely part of it, but San Francisco has held it's own without crazily annexing too.
“Held it’s own” isn’t how I’d describe it. It’s one of the most influential US cities, but it’s at #15 (just below Columbus, OH) in terms of city proper population.

What differentiates SF and Boston, though, is that there are mountain ranges and *large* bodies of water that impair annexation in the former city. MA cities don’t consolidate simply because they don’t want to.

*btw, I did vote on the poll in your annexation thread.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 04-26-2020 at 07:13 PM..

Old 04-26-2020, 06:38 PM

795 posts, read 482,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
See post #19. I don’t want to write the whole thing out again.

“Held it’s own” isn’t how I’d describe it. It’s one on the most influential US cities, but it’s at #15 (just below Columbus, OH) in terms of city proper population.

What differentiates SF and Boston, though, is that there are mountain ranges and *large* bodies of water that impair annexation in the former city. MA cities don’t consolidate simply because they don’t want to.

*btw, I did vote on the poll in your annexation thread.
Wow, I hadn't looked at a biggest U.S. Cities by population size list for a long time - sans this video! I was only paying attention to a few cities (Boston, Philadelphia, Washington DC, Baltimore and New Orleans for reasons I'm not sure why lol) I hadn't realized San Francisco wasn't in the top 10 anymore. Where the h-e-double hockey sticks have I been?! Lol. Thank you for the information.

You're right - San Francisco, Boston, Washington DC and Miami, to name a few will continue to be eclipsed in population regardless of their growth due to annexation/land and/or height restrictions... Interesting...

Last edited by CinderFella7; 04-26-2020 at 06:54 PM..

Old 04-26-2020, 07:16 PM

700 posts, read 421,876 times
St. Louis was a beast before the 1900s. LA was the monster that erupted in the 1900s.

Old 04-27-2020, 12:25 AM

11,794 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
St. Louis was a beast before the 1900s. LA was the monster that erupted in the 1900s.
Yeah, its interesting looking back at all the population explosions, how each metro had its time under the sun and when you look at today's booming metro's (primarily the southern sunbelt cities) we tend to forget that every established metro in this country has undergone similar population explosions.. It makes you wonder if the sunbelt will stop booming and if so, what will be the catalyst. I will say the NE, primarily NYC seems to have been far more consistent in growth rather than a sudden boom.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:06 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
Good for you!
I think you need the carrots considering your Brooklyn/Queens statement...

Wait, he's not a member? What happened? How did he post?

Old 04-27-2020, 01:10 AM

16,700 posts, read 29,521,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Not quite the same-annexation of existing urban areas from outside counties vs. annexation of unincorporated county land with the principal city of the county.
Not really.

Annexation, consolidation...we are splitting hairs here.

Especially since all of it happened prior to World War II and World War I and, in NYC's case, prior to 1900.

Old 06-23-2022, 09:41 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
This is where we'll be in 2035....After yr2020 estimates are used to predict the growth.
https://youtu.be/UFpP1jB1EVA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City