Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which cities fit my criteria the best?
Boston 16 31.37%
Charleston 3 5.88%
Charlotte 19 37.25%
Dallas 12 23.53%
Indianapolis 1 1.96%
Kansas City 3 5.88%
Nashville 10 19.61%
Sacramento 5 9.80%
San Antonio 1 1.96%
Washington, D.C. 19 37.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 11:22 AM

1,393 posts, read 860,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
To be fair Boston only got like 8 inches of snow this winter and 2 of those inches was a random once in a generation snow we got like 2 weeks ago. It’s not THAT snowy and cold. Some years it’s honestly not that snowy and some days/weeks can be up in the 60s (even the low 70s!) in February...

But it’s still worse than every city here by a good margin
It’s all relative..the falls are great too...but winter will be cold especially for someone that’s living in Orlando..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 11:26 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Uncommon_ View Post
D.C. has some of the highest crime rates of the country's largest cities. Maybe I just associate more crime with more potential blight. Not sure.
If you're concerned about crime, you can easily eliminate half the list again. Obviously there is a degree of violence everywhere, but then you are left with Boston, Charleston, Charlotte, Sacramento, and San Antonio as the safest cities of the group. With SA probably the safest in violent crime rates, but all five are pretty equal in this regard and there is a clear distinction from these five to the other ones...

So going back thru and seeing this comment, it's still Charlotte and Sacramento #s 1 and 2 for you, but then there's kind of a four-way tie with Boston, Dallas, Chuck, and SA...

Persinally fir me, I wouldn't live in SA or Chuck unless it was the absolute right situation. Neither Boston or Dallas are particularly appealing to me (and honestly DC would be a Top 3 city for me), but if I had to pick, I'd probably lean towards Dallas still being #3. But there's a group of cities there...

Nothing you've said so far leads me to believe that DC, Indy, Nashville, or KC are great fits for you, so you can probably go ahead and start whittling down your list...

Old 05-01-2020, 11:58 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
•all of the cities besides Charleston has a Big 3 major league franchise, so you're good there. Only DC, Boston, and Dallas have all three, so if you need all three (I know you didn't say that), its between those three cities...

•all of these cities are growing in population, can't gi wrong here...

Objectively

By my count and according to your initial listed criteria, you have, Charlotte is your best option, followed by Sacramento. People are I'm here voting for their favorite cities without really weighing everything you asked about objectively...

Note, which city truly fits you best could differ enormously if you had the time to actually visit these places, so I'm not plugging Clt or Sac as definitively "you", only that they seem to be your best two options given your initial listed criteria...

This board is amazingly and embarrassingly ignorant of Sacramento and what it offers. It's the second most likely given your stated desires. If you want a third-best option, I think its Dallas, then all the other cities are kinda grouped together...

There is no reason people are saying Nashville or DC fit you best given your stated criteria, unless they are considering criteria outside of what you personally listed for yourself, which also means they are considering other criteria in bias, selfishly...

So start your search as a three horse race between Clt, Sac, and Dallas, in that order. Find what appeals and doesn't appeal about all to your interests, and if you have time treat yourself to at least a 3-day trip to all. But that's my advice, these are your three best options...

Where do you currently live? I have a pretty good knowledge for most of these cities, so ask away if you have questions!
I've never been to Sacramento and know the least about it of the options presented, so I didn't say anything about it but from the few facts I know--it's one of the most racially diverse cities in the country, it's located along a river, and due to its location I would assume it gets little snow in winter--I knew it could probably work for the OP but it was up to someone else to make the case for the city.

I think any of these cities could potentially work for the OP, but I'm not exactly seeing how Charlotte--my second home and my favorite of all the cities listed--comes out on top for three reasons mainly: while sufficiently diverse, it's not among the most diverse city here (and this is looking beyond simple racial statistics in the city proper and also looking at the foreign-born/immigrant populations as well as racial/ethnic diversity among workers, students, and tourists); it lacks an MLB team; and while there's a river and three lakes in the area, they are on the outer fringes of the city or in the suburbs which makes them less accessible; by contrast, Boston, DC, Nashville, and Sacramento have at least one body of water as a central feature with easy accessibility within the cities. Now these things may be not be dealbreakers for the OP, but going by the stated criteria, DC and Boston at the least would rank ahead of Charlotte overall. The only potential downside for DC--which isn't a big one--is winter weather and it seems that global warming is taking care of that pretty quickly (and apparently in Boston also).

Old 05-01-2020, 12:12 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,696,789 times
I know Sacramento and I think it's a great city. I didn't mention it because the OP said "at least one major sports team" meaning more would better so I went with larger cities that included what the OP wanted and more.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:16 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Is downtown Dallas vibrant and walkable?

Old 05-01-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Nothing you've said so far leads me to believe that DC, Indy, Nashville, or KC are great fits for you, so you can probably go ahead and start whittling down your list...
DC checks pretty much all his criteria and the only one you could potentially say it doesn't is winter weather which isn't that big of a deal, at least for me and I've lived most of my life in the Carolinas and Georgia--and it's not exactly uncommon for freak winter weather events to occur in those states. As a matter of fact, the worst winter snow event I ever experienced was when I was living in the Charlotte area in 2004 when we got nearly two feet of snow. My commute back home after work (I was working second shift at the time and the snow began in the evening on day in February) usually took no longer than 30 minutes but during that blizzard, it took more than 3 hours. Of course that's not representative of what occurs every winter in Charlotte at all, but moderate snow and ice events at least every other winter aren't unheard of.

Crime rates aren't part of the criteria and it seemed he was already aware of DC's crime rate and still listed it as an option, so that doesn't seem to be disqualifying.

Old 05-01-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I've never been to Sacramento and know the least about it of the options presented, so I didn't say anything about it but from the few facts I know--it's one of the most racially diverse cities in the country, it's located along a river, and due to its location I would assume it gets little snow in winter--I knew it could probably work for the OP but it was up to someone else to make the case for the city.

I think any of these cities could potentially work for the OP, but I'm not exactly seeing how Charlotte--my second home and my favorite of all the cities listed--comes out on top for three reasons mainly: while sufficiently diverse, it's not among the most diverse city here (and this is looking beyond simple racial statistics in the city proper and also looking at the foreign-born/immigrant populations as well as racial/ethnic diversity among workers, students, and tourists); it lacks an MLB team; and while there's a river and three lakes in the area, they are on the outer fringes of the city or in the suburbs which makes them less accessible; by contrast, Boston, DC, Nashville, and Sacramento have at least one body of water as a central feature with easy accessibility within the cities. Now these things may be not be dealbreakers for the OP, but going by the stated criteria, DC and Boston at the least would rank ahead of Charlotte overall. The only potential downside for DC--which isn't a big one--is winter weather and it seems that global warming is taking care of that pretty quickly (and apparently in Boston also).
I get where you're coming from, I just interpreted his criteria differently...

Charlotte is more ethnically and racially diverse, as well as higher foreign-born, than SA, KC, Chucktown; more foreign-born than Nashville, Indy and on balance "about" equal racially and ethnically with these cities...at the very least Charlotte is the 5th-strongest in terms of overall diversity of these 10 cities, so I guess I just looked at it from the standpoint of eliminating the fat...

When he listed the Big 3 leagues, he said at least one of the three, with no preference on what his favorite sport was. If he said he had a favorite sport he follows my answer would be different, as well as if he said he needed more than one or all three, or if he specifically asked about the intensity of the fanbases and their culture....

He said one of the three, so that's all I considered...

And I completely agree with you on accessibility to water, Charlotte isn't the best, but to this point he hasn't specified his preference here to greater degree, so Charlotte meets the baseline qualification he asked for. Maybe he's someone who enjoys access to water but doesn't exactly need optimum access?

That's just how I interpreted it, though. Charlotte is meeting everything the way he stated it across the board, my intention was not to infer that he means anything other than what he's stated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
DC checks pretty much all his criteria and the only one you could potentially say it doesn't is winter weather which isn't that big of a deal, at least for me and I've lived most of my life in the Carolinas and Georgia--and it's not exactly uncommon for freak winter weather events to occur in those states. As a matter of fact, the worst winter snow event I ever experienced was when I was living in the Charlotte area in 2004 when we got nearly two feet of snow. My commute back home after work (I was working second shift at the time and the snow began in the evening on day in February) usually took no longer than 30 minutes but during that blizzard, it took more than 3 hours. Of course that's not representative of what occurs every winter in Charlotte at all, but moderate snow and ice events at least every other winter aren't unheard of.

Crime rates aren't part of the criteria and it seemed he was already aware of DC's crime rate and still listed it as an option, so that doesn't seem to be disqualifying.
DC weather isn't a huge deal to me either, but global warming is impacting everyone, so regardless DC will have one of the snowier winters of the cities he listed (bottom five)...

Crime wasn't part of his criteria but he expressed an intimation that it matters to him at least somewhat. Regardless of whether crime is a strong consideration for him or not, I don't see a path where DC is at the top of his criteria unless I begin assuming he'd enjoy something(s) outside of what he's stated in his own words...

Just my interpretation of it, Mute!

Old 05-01-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Is downtown Dallas vibrant and walkable?
Seemed pretty vibrant to me, we went to a wrestling match at the Mavericks' arena and rode DART around downtown. I wouldn't say it's the most vibrant downtown of the group but I don't think any are particularly bad besides the Midwest cities...

But my opinion on Indy and KC are my own, plenty of people on here swear by those cities vibrancy, so it's easier to leave it up to OP and say all of the downtown's bring something to the table...

Old 05-01-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I get where you're coming from, I just interpreted his criteria differently...

Charlotte is more ethnically and racially diverse, as well as higher foreign-born, than SA, KC, Chucktown; more foreign-born than Nashville, Indy and on balance "about" equal racially and ethnically with these cities...at the very least Charlotte is the 5th-strongest in terms of overall diversity of these 10 cities, so I guess I just looked at it from the standpoint of eliminating the fat...

When he listed the Big 3 leagues, he said at least one of the three, with no preference on what his favorite sport was. If he said he had a favorite sport he follows my answer would be different, as well as if he said he needed more than one or all three, or if he specifically asked about the intensity of the fanbases and their culture....

He said one of the three, so that's all I considered...

And I completely agree with you on accessibility to water, Charlotte isn't the best, but to this point he hasn't specified his preference here to greater degree, so Charlotte meets the baseline qualification he asked for. Maybe he's someone who enjoys access to water but doesn't exactly need optimum access?

That's just how I interpreted it, though. Charlotte is meeting everything the way he stated it across the board, my intention was not to infer that he means anything other than what he's stated...

DC weather isn't a huge deal to me either, but global warming is impacting everyone, so regardless DC will have one of the snowier winters of the cities he listed (bottom five)...

Crime wasn't part of his criteria but he expressed an intimation that it matters to him at least somewhat. Regardless of whether crime is a strong consideration for him or not, I don't see a path where DC is at the top of his criteria unless I begin assuming he'd enjoy something(s) outside of what he's stated in his own words...

Just my interpretation of it, Mute!
I'm still not really seeing a case for Charlotte ranking first seeing as though it meets the baseline for several criteria as you acknowledged, but doesn't really excel at more of them than DC and Boston. DC excels at diversity, active downtown, public transportation, access to water, pro sports, cleanliness, lack of a visibly large homeless/panhandling population, and population growth of the central city (particularly given its small-ish size and inability to annex). Charlotte does well in all of these categories but DC simply does better. Boston does better in most as well.

Old 05-01-2020, 01:19 PM

747 posts, read 497,450 times
Quote:
If you're concerned about crime, you can easily eliminate half the list again. Obviously there is a degree of violence everywhere, but then you are left with Boston, Charleston, Charlotte, Sacramento, and San Antonio as the safest cities of the group. With SA probably the safest in violent crime rates, but all five are pretty equal in this regard and there is a clear distinction from these five to the other ones...

So going back thru and seeing this comment, it's still Charlotte and Sacramento #s 1 and 2 for you, but then there's kind of a four-way tie with Boston, Dallas, Chuck, and SA...

Persinally fir me, I wouldn't live in SA or Chuck unless it was the absolute right situation. Neither Boston or Dallas are particularly appealing to me (and honestly DC would be a Top 3 city for me), but if I had to pick, I'd probably lean towards Dallas still being #3. But there's a group of cities there...

Not overly concerned with crime but then again, I never said I was. Just making the correlation between blighted areas and crime. I assumed since DC had more crime that it might also have more blight. Not to say the assumption was correct but it was my assumption nonetheless. If DC in fact as clean as most are making it out to be, that’s a HUGE nod in its favor in my book. It’s why I would never live in a city like LA, SF or NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City