Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: #15-20 2020?
Austin 34 34.34%
Baltimore 29 29.29%
Charlotte 45 45.45%
Denver 62 62.63%
Phoenix 60 60.61%
Portland 28 28.28%
San Diego 56 56.57%
St Louis 24 24.24%
Tampa 17 17.17%
Other 9 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 04:57 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,296,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Mpls an St Paul function as one city and I feel both of them combined is a sizable step above Denver.
Ok I am not really sure on what basis, but you are entitled to your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 05:21 PM

1,348 posts, read 879,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
Ok I am not really sure on what basis, but you are entitled to your opinion.
Population, GDP, transit. They're similiar cities but one has 600,000 to 700,00 more people and is more established overall.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:24 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,122,644 times
Quote:
I think people have a hard time ranking Mpls on here because it's not as well known and popular as other cities. Mpls at 3.6 million people has 600k more people than Denver's 2.9 million and is closer to Seattle's 3.9 million yet Denver is being ranked above Mpls by a lot of people.
It's also quite possible (and my personal opinion), that Minneapolis does not belong on this list at all as it's a top 15 city (unquestionably).

You'd have to be delusional to think Denver, San Diego, Or Phoenix is more important than MSP. I'm struggling to find any metrics that support this argument.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:27 PM

2,545 posts, read 3,296,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Detroit stands apart from these other cities in that it has an established legacy as a major city and national player. The way I view these things, the burden of proof is never on the incumbent city, I give it benefit of doubt until slippage becomes unquestionable across several planes...

So rising cities have the burden of proving they have supplanted an incumbent from position. Minneapolis hasn't done that with Detroit and has been knocking on the door for years...its still on Detroit's heels but has yet to show it can or has leapt over Detroit...

(To be clear I view all of these cities in the same "weight class" or bracket, but listing them in order, I can't justify any over Detroit at this point)...

I can see Minneapolis and Denver as interchangeable, though. I lean Minny, slightly larger corporate base and market, but I have no issues with someone calling them interchangeable. Phoenix and San Diego are also interchangeable and clearly bring up the rear in this group of five, in my opinion!
Yeah I think it becomes very difficult to rank once you get beyond the top 6 (and even within the top 6!). There are just too many variables, and no coherent or agreeable basis on how to weigh them. If you are looking for a consensus then the most that can be said IMO is that there is a top 6, a 7 to 12, and a 13 to 17. The next tier would be Baltimore, St Louis, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Cleveland, TB and LV. I can't decide if any of Portland, Orlando, Austin and Nashville also belong in that tier, or in the next tier with Cinci, KC and Milwaukee.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:28 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,122,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I can see Minneapolis and Denver as interchangeable, though. I lean Minny, slightly larger corporate base and market, but I have no issues with someone calling them interchangeable. Phoenix and San Diego are also interchangeable and clearly bring up the rear in this group of five, in my opinion!
All the reasons that Denver is more important than San Diego:
- Airport
- Sports teams (larger media market)
- no competition

That's hardly convincing...

San Diego's global importance is far higher than Denver's. Denver is important to Colorado and adjacent rural areas.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:29 PM

1,348 posts, read 879,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
It's also quite possible (and my personal opinion), that Minneapolis does not belong on this list at all as it's a top 15 city (unquestionably).

You'd have to be delusional to think Denver, San Diego, Or Phoenix is more important than MSP. I'm struggling to find any metrics that support this argument.
I agree

Old 05-11-2020, 05:37 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Which UAs cross MSA boundary lines and what is the supporting methodology?

I always assumed that if something is not within the same MSA with the primary city it cannot be considered to be part of the primary city's urban area.
Greenville SC's urbanized area is mostly within Greenville County but a small part of it extends into neighboring Spartanburg County which is the central county of its own separate MSA. They are both included in a larger CSA though.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:41 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,625,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
All the reasons that Denver is more important than San Diego:
- Airport
- Sports teams (larger media market)
- no competition

That's hardly convincing...

San Diego's global importance is far higher than Denver's. Denver is important to Colorado and adjacent rural areas.
This is fair...

Old 05-11-2020, 05:44 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
Quote:
I think people have a hard time ranking Mpls on here because it's not as well known and popular as other cities. Mpls at 3.6 million people has 600k more people than Denver's 2.9 million and is closer to Seattle's 3.9 million yet Denver is being ranked above Mpls by a lot of people.
I don't think too many people are ranking Denver ahead of MSP though. Most can agree that it is currently ahead of the other cities based on it's population and other stats. It indeed ranks in the middle. But it's not head and shoulders above the others at all. It's more a peer to San Diego, Denver and Phoenix than it is to Seattle. Which wasn't the case 10 years ago.

The population figures don't necessarily tell the whole story though. Boulder is very much a part of the Denver area and (like some have already said) was part of the MSA not too long ago. That's nearly 3.3M people in the immediate Denver area. 600k is a stretch imo

Old 05-11-2020, 05:58 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Interesting. From my (very unscientific) perspective, Denver and MPLS are interchangeable. And so are Phoenix and SD - two large sunbelt cities that dont seem to be particularly impactful, nationally or globally... They don't have a strong corporate presence, cultural influence or historical significance. (Tampa Bay is another one that fits that mold.) So if I were to rank 13-17, it'd be:

13-15: MPLS, Detroit, Denver
16-17: Phoenix, SD
What puts Denver ahead of Phoenix?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City