Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: #15-20 2020?
Austin 34 34.34%
Baltimore 29 29.29%
Charlotte 45 45.45%
Denver 62 62.63%
Phoenix 60 60.61%
Portland 28 28.28%
San Diego 56 56.57%
St Louis 24 24.24%
Tampa 17 17.17%
Other 9 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 11:44 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Yes, exactly. SD really doesn't have anything over MSP or Detroit in terms of importance. Military would probably be the only thing, but that is just one of many metrics (an important one though).

MSP and Detroit are without doubt in the top 15. Denver, Phoenix, and San Diego- which are all relatively similar in importance- are more debatable.
One thing Denver, Phoenix, and San Diego have in common is that all three attract a large number of people primarily due to leisure purposes centering on climate/geography/recreation. As a matter of fact, you could argue they are primarily known for those things and not really for anything economic/corporate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 12:35 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,732,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
One thing Denver, Phoenix, and San Diego have in common is that all three attract a large number of people primarily due to leisure purposes centering on climate/geography/recreation. As a matter of fact, you could argue they are primarily known for those things and not really for anything economic/corporate.
Interesting, but why would you think people are attracted primarily due to leisure purposes? If you could simply choose where you live based on that you'd go to a small town like Durango, CO or Sedona, AZ. Like any big city, most people move and live in any place for living a good lifestyle, including job prospects. None of these cities get to their current sizes based simply on climate or geography. The 3 do rank as the 16th, 17th and 18th largest metro areas for GDP in 2018. Ahead of Charlotte, Austin, Tampa and in the same range as Minneapolis and Detroit. San Diego does have a world famous amazing climate, Phoenix and Denver both have a tough season to get through.

Phoenix is my home so I can speak to it best, major corporations based here, a few I'm sure you've heard of: PetsMart, Make A Wish Foundation, Republic Services, Ping, Best Western, Go Daddy, On Semiconductor, Insight Enterprises, Limelight Networks, Drive Time,Avnet, Cold Stone (Kahala Brands), Kona Grill, University of Phoenix (Apollo Group), Lifelock, Sprouts, Circle K, Knight Transportation, Fender Musical Instruments, U-Haul, Carvana, Viad, Freeport McMoran, Avnet, Banner Health (regional hospital group).

I'd say the one thing SD, Denver and PHX have in common is you can have big city opportunity/amenities with a nice climate and recreational options nearby. So if you need a career, like most of us do, and you enjoy the outdoors these places will be higher on your list.

Last edited by locolife; 05-13-2020 at 12:44 PM..

Old 05-13-2020, 01:10 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,122,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I'd say the one thing SD, Denver and PHX have in common is you can have big city opportunity/amenities with a nice climate and recreational options nearby. So if you need a career, like most of us do, and you enjoy the outdoors these places will be higher on your list.

With Phoenix being a steal COL-wise.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:25 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Interesting, but why would you think people are attracted primarily due to leisure purposes? If you could simply choose where you live based on that you'd go to a small town like Durango, CO or Sedona, AZ. Like any big city, most people move and live in any place for living a good lifestyle, including job prospects. None of these cities get to their current sizes based simply on climate or geography. The 3 do rank as the 16th, 17th and 18th largest metro areas for GDP in 2018. Ahead of Charlotte, Austin, Tampa and in the same range as Minneapolis and Detroit. San Diego does have a world famous amazing climate, Phoenix and Denver both have a tough season to get through.

Phoenix is my home so I can speak to it best, major corporations based here, a few I'm sure you've heard of: PetsMart, Make A Wish Foundation, Republic Services, Ping, Best Western, Go Daddy, On Semiconductor, Insight Enterprises, Limelight Networks, Drive Time,Avnet, Cold Stone (Kahala Brands), Kona Grill, University of Phoenix (Apollo Group), Lifelock, Sprouts, Circle K, Knight Transportation, Fender Musical Instruments, U-Haul, Carvana, Viad, Freeport McMoran, Avnet, Banner Health (regional hospital group).

I said that all three attract a large number of people primarily for leisure purposes, not that people (meaning most people) are attracted to those cities primarily for leisure. Small but very important distinction. Of course none of these places grew to their current sizes without having an economy in place to support their populations, but my focus is recent years (e.g., since the turn of the century) when trends because indicating there are an increasing number of people who move to the city they'd like to be in first and then make employment work for them. With widespread telework turning into a more permanent feature post-COVID-19, I'd expect this phenomenon to really take off going forward which will especially benefit Phoenix and Denver which have relatively diverse economies and more reasonable costs of living.

Old 05-13-2020, 03:01 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,732,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I said that all three attract a large number of people primarily for leisure purposes, not that people (meaning most people) are attracted to those cities primarily for leisure. Small but very important distinction. Of course none of these places grew to their current sizes without having an economy in place to support their populations, but my focus is recent years (e.g., since the turn of the century) when trends because indicating there are an increasing number of people who move to the city they'd like to be in first and then make employment work for them. With widespread telework turning into a more permanent feature post-COVID-19, I'd expect this phenomenon to really take off going forward which will especially benefit Phoenix and Denver which have relatively diverse economies and more reasonable costs of living.

Yeah, that makes sense then. A lot of people do enjoy the leisure activities in all 3, if I was given an equal job offer between say Philly and Denver that's an easy choice for me to make as an outdoor type. But I couldn't pick Denver without a job there, just because I like the activities available.

Agreed on the working remote thing, if somehow this turns into a reduction in rush hour congestion due to more working from home I won't complain a bit.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:10 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 7 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 977,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Sneaky and unfair to exclude Minneapolis from the poll. I feel it is #15.
Yeah, I changed my mind. I now think Minneapolis is #14. I made a recent post in the # 11-15 Cities thread.

Old 06-15-2020, 05:27 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,136 times
Quote:
I wouldn’t put Phoenix and Denver in the same “nice climate” department as San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City