Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: #15-20 2020?
Austin 34 34.34%
Baltimore 29 29.29%
Charlotte 45 45.45%
Denver 62 62.63%
Phoenix 60 60.61%
Portland 28 28.28%
San Diego 56 56.57%
St Louis 24 24.24%
Tampa 17 17.17%
Other 9 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 09:52 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,805,346 times

Advertisements

Wait so which cities were in 11-15 tops? I thought both Denver an HD Phoenix made the cut.

Premier City
1. New York

All around mega beasts
2. LA
3. Chicago

Dominant Players in important industries
4. DMV
5. SFBA
6. Boston
7. Houston
8. Philadelphia

Premier regional hubs
9. Atlanta
10. DFW

Large hubs that are major players in certain industries
11. Seattle
12. Miami
13. Detroit

Medium sized regional hubs that excel overall in industry
14. Phoenix
15. MSP
16. Denver
17. San Diego

Medium sized hubs that excel in at least one major industry
18. Orlando
19. Charlotte
20. Tampa
21. Portland

Sizeable hubs that are not there yet or used to be and lost it
22. Cleveland
23. St Louis
24. Pittsburgh
25. SLC
26. Sacramento
27. Kansas City
28. Cincinnati
29. New Orleans

Fast Growing up and comers
30. Nashville
31. Las Vegas
32. Raleigh - Durham
33. Austin
34. Columbus
35. Indianapolis
36. San Antonio
Baltimore and San Jose I included in their CSA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 10:18 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,122,644 times
Austin should not be on this list. It's absolutely laughable that it is higher than Charlotte and Baltimore. Good job internet.

11. Miami
12. Seattle
13. Detroit
14. Minneapolis
15. San Diego
16. Phoenix
17. Denver
18. Charlotte
19. Baltimore
20. St. Louis (really unsure choosing this over Tampa)

Old 05-02-2020, 10:21 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,122,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Wait so which cities were in 11-15 tops? I thought both Denver an HD Phoenix made the cut.

Premier City
1. New York

All around mega beasts
2. LA
3. Chicago

Dominant Players in important industries
4. DMV
5. SFBA
6. Boston
7. Houston
8. Philadelphia

Premier regional hubs
9. Atlanta
10. DFW

Large hubs that are major players in certain industries
11. Seattle
12. Miami
13. Detroit

Medium sized regional hubs that excel overall in industry
14. Phoenix
15. MSP
16. Denver
17. San Diego

Medium sized hubs that excel in at least one major industry
18. Orlando
19. Charlotte
20. Tampa
21. Portland

Sizeable hubs that are not there yet or used to be and lost it
22. Cleveland
23. St Louis
24. Pittsburgh
25. SLC
26. Sacramento
27. Kansas City
28. Cincinnati
29. New Orleans

Fast Growing up and comers
30. Nashville
31. Las Vegas
32. Raleigh - Durham
33. Austin
34. Columbus
35. Indianapolis
36. San Antonio
Baltimore and San Jose I included in their CSA
I like how you presented this, but I think Austin definitely needs to be higher...no lower than 25. Orlando is too high...above Charlotte hmm... I don't see how Charlotte isn't right behind Denver and San Diego.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:22 AM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Austin should not be on this list. It's absolutely laughable that it is higher than Charlotte and Baltimore. Good job internet.

11. Miami
12. Seattle
13. Detroit
14. Minneapolis
15. San Diego
16. Phoenix
17. Denver
18. Charlotte
19. Baltimore
20. St. Louis (really unsure choosing this over Tampa)
Man I don't actually perceive Austin as a Top 20 city either, but enough people have huffed and hawed about it so I included it. I think it gives some insight that for those of us who care about all this city stuff, alot of people seem to think it is. It's hard to tell whether we just have an over representation of Austin backers here or if this is an accurate depiction of what people would say if you asked them where they place Austin...

Old 05-02-2020, 11:45 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
It is pitiful how low Phoenix performs. Austin should not be included either.

Old 05-02-2020, 12:35 PM

5,820 posts, read 5,627,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
It is pitiful how low Phoenix performs. Austin should not be included either.
Do you think the fact that so many people stump for Austin means that most people would agree on its placement if asked, or does it mean we have an over representation of Austin boosters on here?

Old 05-02-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
I like how you presented this, but I think Austin definitely needs to be higher...no lower than 25. Orlando is too high...above Charlotte hmm... I don't see how Charlotte isn't right behind Denver and San Diego.
Thanks.

Lol you picking hairs on Orlando and Charlotte here. They are right next to each other.
And what do you mean Charlotte isn't right behind Denver and San Diego? I listed them 16,17 and 19. Switching Charlotte and Orlando doesn't make much of a difference to me here. I can see Charlotte as 18 or even 17.

I visited Austin for a few weeks to catch up with a friend. I was impressed with the growth. The skyline is night and day from how I remember it, it was awesome to see. But I need convincing on ranking it in the Top 25

Old 05-02-2020, 01:27 PM

747 posts, read 497,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Do you think the fact that so many people stump for Austin means that most people would agree on its placement if asked, or does it mean we have an over representation of Austin boosters on here?
What would you consider a “booster”? Someone that stans for a city he or she lives in? Or does it have to be his or her hometown? Does it have be the same city over and over again? Can it be multiple cities? I’d like some clarification.

For example, I have absolutely no real ties to Austin. I lived there for a fall semester and have traveled there a couple times thereafter. But I wasn’t raised there and have no emotional feelings toward the city. I find myself however defending it against people who consider it a “rival,” have never been or spent enough time to make an accurate judgment, refuse to acknowledge its importance in 2020 and beyond, or who have developed a disdain because they are tired of hearing about Austin. Or maybe they’re just jealous or insecure, I guess only they know.

Would you then consider me a booster? If so, well then I guess I’m also a booster for Orlando, Atlanta, Phoenix, Philadelphia, Miami, and San Diego, and other cities depending on the accusation. These are all cities I’m very familiar with and have defended from irrational posters that have no idea what they’re talking about.

So is there such a thing as a multi-layered booster? Clearly, people are allowed to have their opinions, but you see and hear enough of comparisons of Austin to Tulsa, Albuquerque, or OKC, Orlando referred to as “soulless,” Phoenix denounced as “a giant parking lot,” Philly described as notches below Boston, Miami dismissed as not being a world city, in addition to the times I’ve had to sporadically correct people on Atlanta or San Diego, and it becomes irksome, because people are not speaking from objectivity.

Old 05-02-2020, 01:32 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
I think its both. The facts have been presented as to why Austin does not belong, yet some are still waiting outside the thread with ski masks and 9mms to make sure it wins. Some just hate the other options posed and selected Austin by default.

Old 05-02-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Do you think the fact that so many people stump for Austin was means that most people would agree on its placement if asked, or does it mean we have an over representation of Austin boosters on here?
I know I am going to get a lot of posters angry by saying this but I'm just giving my honest opinion.
Dallas and Houston's two biggest weaknesses have been night life and urban form.

They were so horrible in those two that you could pretty much compare them to any top 100 city.
Austin on the otherhand was known as the largest college town in America and was constantly praised for its more walkable downtown.

So since these are all in the same state people compare them a lot. It has been pounded in people's brains that Austin is better at those two things it gives Austin an extra elevation it may not have had if it wasn't compared to top 15 cities constantly. Similar dynamic happens in Ohio.

Relax I have no hate for Austin, it just outshines Dallas and Houston in two major Categories so it makes it seem more important.

Austin is shooting up the list though. I can see it top 20 very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City