Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: #15-20 2020?
Austin 34 34.34%
Baltimore 29 29.29%
Charlotte 45 45.45%
Denver 62 62.63%
Phoenix 60 60.61%
Portland 28 28.28%
San Diego 56 56.57%
St Louis 24 24.24%
Tampa 17 17.17%
Other 9 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 12:56 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times

Advertisements

As Joakim said the corruption in Baltimore is BEYOND rampant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 02:22 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,326,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Baltimore and Charlotte seen to be both about the same (somewhat middling) in GDP per-capita:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...GDP_per_capita

The Baltimore Washington corridor is tough because there is definitely some grey area in between. It's not as bad as SF/SJ, which in my mind should be a single metro, but it does have the same problems.
I've always maintained the notion that cities are culturally too distinct and economically independent to be a single MSA metroplex like the Twin Cities, Bay Area or Dallas-Ft. Worth. They are just in a unique position where they are in extremely close proximity to each other which allows for a lot of population mixing in their bordering suburbs.

Quote:
Do people in Howard county generally consider themselves residents of the Baltimore metro?
People from Howard County generally associate themselves from the Baltimore area, but theres been noticeable shift of people that live in the county but work in the DC metro.

Any local will usually say the unofficial "dividing" line between the two metro's is Route 32. Anything north of the highway is in Baltimore's sphere and everything south is in DC sphere. The shift is comes very rapidly.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:14 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,986,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
Sneaky and unfair to exclude Minneapolis from the poll. I feel it is #15.
It's excluded because it ranks higher than 15; at either 13 or 14

11. Miami
12. Seattle
13. Detroit / Minneapolis
14. Minneapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
I've always maintained the notion that cities are culturally too distinct and economically independent to be a single MSA metroplex like the Twin Cities, Bay Area or Dallas-Ft. Worth. They are just in a unique position where they are in extremely close proximity to each other which allows for a lot of population mixing in their bordering suburbs.
Unlike the others you listed, Minneapolis and St. Paul literally border one another (no, the Mississippi does not completely separate them) and pretty much function as one city.

On your left is St. Paul (apartment building/restaurant) and on your right is Minneapolis (Wells Fargo branch). The street separating them - Emerald Street.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9678...7i16384!8i8192

Notice where the fence changes? That’s the border - St. Paul on the left and Minneapolis on the right.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/26...!4d-93.2072347

Last edited by YIMBY; 05-04-2020 at 04:14 PM..

Old 05-04-2020, 03:26 PM

5,825 posts, read 5,632,476 times
Quote:

People from Howard County generally associate themselves from the Baltimore area, but theres been noticeable shift of people that live in the county but work in the DC metro.

Any local will usually say the unofficial "dividing" line between the two metro's is Route 32. Anything north of the highway is in Baltimore's sphere and everything south is in DC sphere. The shift is comes very rapidly.
The Twin Cities are a unique situation from the other two. They literally border each other without interruption, and not in some sliver fraction of land do they meet at each city's most distant point (like how people use that argument for Raleigh and Durham). Minneapolis and St Paul are distinct but interwoven in a way most places aren't, the only large-ish area in the country I can even think of to resemble that dynamic are Virginia Beach and Norfolk...

So I'm fine viewing MSP as one city. The others, though? I've advocated for years here that San Jo, Oakland, Fort Worth, Newark, these places by themselves are part of the larger region they inhabit but should be respected enough to appreciate what they influence and contribute on their own merits. Those specific cities to me I don't view as "San Francisco" or "Dallas" or "New York"...

Old 05-04-2020, 03:46 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:

The MSP is different from DFW.
MSP functions more like one city like Houston than as a metro Luke Dallas Fort Worth or as a CSA like the bay area.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:56 PM

2,228 posts, read 1,401,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The Twin Cities are a unique situation from the other two. They literally border each other without interruption, and not in some sliver fraction of land do they meet at each city's most distant point (like how people use that argument for Raleigh and Durham). Minneapolis and St Paul are distinct but interwoven in a way most places aren't, the only large-ish area in the country I can even think of to resemble that dynamic are Virginia Beach and Norfolk...

So I'm fine viewing MSP as one city. The others, though? I've advocated for years here that San Jo, Oakland, Fort Worth, Newark, these places by themselves are part of the larger region they inhabit but should be respected enough to appreciate what they influence and contribute on their own merits. Those specific cities to me I don't view as "San Francisco" or "Dallas" or "New York"...
There is a difference between "one metro" and "one city". I don't think DFW or the Bay Area are one city, but I do think that they are one metro.

The idea of Palo Alto being "San Jose" but Redwood City being "San Francisco" doesn't really make any sense to me. I'd feel the same if Arlington was "Fort Worth" and Grand Prairie was "Dallas". I don't see the purpose of the separation in these metros that have a relatively even population density over a huge area.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:50 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
The Bay Area isn't a single MSA though; rather it is a single CSA consisting of a whopping NINE MSAs with the San Franciso-Oakland and San Jose MSAs being by far the largest and most important of them.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:08 PM

Quote:
There is a difference between "one metro" and "one city". I don't think DFW or the Bay Area are one city, but I do think that they are one metro.

The idea of Palo Alto being "San Jose" but Redwood City being "San Francisco" doesn't really make any sense to me. I'd feel the same if Arlington was "Fort Worth" and Grand Prairie was "Dallas". I don't see the purpose of the separation in these metros that have a relatively even population density over a huge area.
This is where the newest delineation, metropolitan division, comes in handy. Only MSAs containing an urbanized area of at least 2.5M people qualify for this MSA subdivision which is based on the presence of multiple county-based employment centers. San Francisco and Oakland each have their own metropolitan division as well as Dallas and Fort Worth.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:55 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This is where the newest delineation, metropolitan division, comes in handy. Only MSAs containing an urbanized area of at least 2.5M people qualify for this MSA subdivision which is based on the presence of multiple county-based employment centers. San Francisco and Oakland each have their own metropolitan division as well as Dallas and Fort Worth.
This entire site should move towards Metro Divisions. It's way more representative and way more useful 4/5 times.

Old 05-05-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
This entire site should move towards Metro Divisions. It's way more representative and way more useful 4/5 times.
Boston sure has a ton of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City