Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 02:46 PM

130 posts, read 86,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I like all 3 but Nashville>Richmond/SLC.

Nashville wins but between Richmond and SLC, it's a tie for me. Richmond is the better city imo.. it's more vibrant and active. SLC, the city itself is a bit bland for me but I love the geographical setting. So much natural beauty in the area. Obviously Nashville is the more booming city of the bunch.
I’m sure SLC ranks below the other two in terms of vibrancy but it has made improvements. With the combination of the growing tech industry and the outdoor recreation I feel it will possibly Improve the vibrancy in time. There are around 7 new downtown towers planned or under construction, two of which are residential which will help the downtown feel more active.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 04:18 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
I think people are selling SLC short. It anchors a region of 2.6 Million people. It's CSA currently has a higher GDP than Nashville's and both regions are growing at about the same rate. Nashville definitely has the cool factor going for it but SLC is doing really well

Old 05-02-2020, 04:47 PM

229 posts, read 217,370 times
I live in Salt Lake and love it but have never been to the other 2 cities listed.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:02 PM

22 posts, read 20,483 times
Nashville is in the Austin-Charlotte tier.

This tear is far ahead of other cities of similar population.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvilledemographer View Post
Nashville is in the Austin-Charlotte tier.

This tear is far ahead of other cities of similar population.
I’d love to hear some reasons or discussion other than just “Nashville is better” from people who live in Nashville, which are several of the commenters so far.

Someone mentioned that SLC has a higher GDP, what makes Nashville a higher tier?

Old 05-02-2020, 11:41 PM

730 posts, read 814,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallVegan View Post
I’d love to hear some reasons or discussion other than just “Nashville is better” from people who live in Nashville, which are several of the commenters so far.

Someone mentioned that SLC has a higher GDP, what makes Nashville a higher tier?
No, SLC does not have a higher GDP than Nashville. Only when SLC adds Provo and Ogden does the GDP surpass Nashville's.

2018 GDP
Nashville - $132,202k (+37.3% since 2012)
Salt Lake - $94,306k (+34.5% since 2012)
Richmond - $85,792 (+27% since 2012)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_areas_by_GDP

SLC does, however, have a higher per capita GDP.

Salt Lake - $61,809
Nashville - $60,806
Richmond - $54,611

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...GDP_per_capita

Now, if you add Provo and Ogden's GDP to Salt Lake's, the per capita figure will drop considerably, as Ogden's per capita GDP is $33,554, and Provo's is $35,913.

For personal income, Nashville and Richmond are very similar.

Per capita personal income, 2018:
Nashville - $57,953
Richmond - $57,301
Salt Lake - $51,736

https://apps.bea.gov/iTable/index_nipa.cfm

For current high rises, wikipedia only lists the ones in Nashville taller than 260 feet, so we'll use 260 feet as the standard.

Nashville - 38
Salt Lake - 19
Richmond - 17

Buildings taller than 260 feet under construction:

Nashville - 13
Richmond - 2
Salt Lake - 1

Buildings taller than 260 feet planned:

Nashville - 24
Salt Lake - 1
Richmond - 0

Granted, these figures are form wikipedia so they might not be entirely accurate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_in_Nashville
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Salt_Lake_City
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...mond,_Virginia

Last edited by BuffaloHome; 05-03-2020 at 12:23 AM..

Old 05-03-2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
No, SLC does not have a higher GDP than Nashville. Only when SLC adds Provo and Ogden does the GDP surpass Nashville's.

2018 GDP
Nashville - $132,202k (+37.3% since 2012)
Salt Lake - $94,306k (+34.5% since 2012)

Richmond - $85,792 (+27% since 2012)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_areas_by_GDP

SLC does, however, have a higher per capita GDP.

Salt Lake - $61,809
Nashville - $60,806
Richmond - $54,611

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...GDP_per_capita

Now, if you add Provo and Ogden's GDP to Salt Lake's, the per capita figure drops considerably, as Ogden's per capita GDP is $33,554, and Provo's is $35,913.
Thanks for the info, so that’s the MSA data with SLC at 1.3M and Nashville at 1.9M population. Any idea what the Nashville CSA is at?

I wouldn’t expect Provo’s per capita to be that low with all the tech companies located in the area, I’d assume it’s due to the large families.

Old 05-03-2020, 12:13 AM

11,787 posts, read 7,999,289 times
SLC however does have better roads and transit than either Austin or Nashville.

Old 05-03-2020, 08:29 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,430,706 times
As others have said, Nashville is already there.

Nashville is booming downtown with development and construction, and has moved out of the city tier with both Salt Lake City & Richmond.

Nashville has almost 2 million in its metro area and growing well, and has 3 pro sports teams (NFL, NHL, MLS), indicative of a city's influence and strong brand.

Salt Lake City would be next--a city I do love honestly--and has about 1.3 million metro and 1 pro sports team (NBA). It has a stunning geography, with incredible mountains in its backdrop. It has such an incredibly clean downtown for a metro its size. Growing well and with a diverse economy, Salt Lake City will be a continued strong growth metro.

Richmond would be last here, but is still with a ton of potential. It has some crime that is higher than the other 2 metro areas, but sits in a position that is favorable to growth, being a capital city and in a growing state in the south.

Old 05-03-2020, 10:14 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
As others have said, Nashville is already there.

Nashville is booming downtown with development and construction, and has moved out of the city tier with both Salt Lake City & Richmond.

Nashville has almost 2 million in its metro area and growing well, and has 3 pro sports teams (NFL, NHL, MLS), indicative of a city's influence and strong brand.

Salt Lake City would be next--a city I do love honestly--and has about 1.3 million metro and 1 pro sports team (NBA). It has a stunning geography, with incredible mountains in its backdrop. It has such an incredibly clean downtown for a metro its size. Growing well and with a diverse economy, Salt Lake City will be a continued strong growth metro.

Richmond would be last here, but is still with a ton of potential. It has some crime that is higher than the other 2 metro areas, but sits in a position that is favorable to growth, being a capital city and in a growing state in the south.
Salt Lake also has MLS.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City