Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 03:24 AM

11 posts, read 14,686 times

Advertisements

Background:
My wife and I got married last year and are thinking of moving out from where we live right now, which is in Charlottesville VA. A few things about Charlottesville are great for families (safe, beautiful outdoors, proximity to historical places, small town feel) but it lacks in others (opportunities due to small size, amenities, biggest city is still 2 hours away). There is an increasing cost of living owing to the town’s historic significance but it’s not being provided with an increase in quality of life. Charlottesville is still a very small town in area but the population has grown like crazy and that makes it feel very artificially congested. Lack of good affordable housing is another factor that we want to move.
However the biggest factor that’s pushing us out of here is the people. I don’t want to describe them in detail but let’s just say that the people here care a lot about what “causes” you are a part of, rather than what you are as a human being. If you recall, there was a big unite the right rally here and one would think that the city would have had a great transformation. Nope, everyone was still on their high horse. Despite us trying to be friends with people, we have only gotten looks because my wife and I are seen as redneck southerners who made it big perhaps? My accent definitely doesn’t sound like an IT manager’s but rather a small town car salesman. Our parents are both rural but they educated us so we could get white collar jobs. However in Charlottesville for some reason or another, people consider old money as the only respectable money. If I were to compare it to humans, I’d say Charlottesville is a generation Z teenager- it thinks it’s the **** but in reality it has nothing original going on, and has their head in the clouds.

So yeah we would like to get out of here and not live in a place that has people like here anymore despite all the beautiful surrounding and safety. We are both 30 yo and enjoy outdoors, movies, eating out. We *quit drinking* two years ago because it just brought out the worst in us. My wife and I met in KY while I was on a trip there and I loved Lexington and Louisville. I liked the flat topography and the good mix between big city and small town feel. One thing I wasn’t sure of, but Louisville felt a bit rough around the edges but maybe that’s just me.

I also really like Cincinnati except for the crowdedness. Cincinnati feels more urban for sure and has a larger metro area with definitely more businesses. I would have an easier time finding jobs there.

Right now I am looking at the following suburbs: Floyd’s Knobs, New Albany, Jeffersonville area and Lawrenceville. All of these are in Indiana but border Louisville or Cincinnati. Could you guys give me your suggestions as to where I should move if I want to raise a family and be with people who are not over the top “woke”?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 08:29 AM

12,853 posts, read 9,587,241 times
Burbs in general aren't full of "woke" people. Especially not southern or midwestern ones. You'll be fine.

Old 05-04-2020, 09:10 AM

2,547 posts, read 2,872,257 times
In the Cincinnati area, you should have plenty of options outside of Hamilton County to find the environment you're looking for.

Old 05-04-2020, 03:53 PM

9,687 posts, read 9,412,970 times
I prefer Cincy's northern suburbs to the KY suburbs. These areas are growing faster and feel more established. Montgomery, Mason, Sharonville, West Chester are nice. I am less familiar with Louisville's suburbs, but the nicer areas are around Prospect and Crestwood. New Albany and Jeffersonville are their own cities with nice historic neighborhoods.

Inner city best neighborhoods:

Louisville: The Highlands
Cincinnati: Hyde Park

Work in Progress Neighborhoods:

Louisville: Nulu
Cincinnati: OTR

Old 05-04-2020, 09:46 PM

11 posts, read 14,686 times
Thanks everyone, how would you compare the climate of the two? Does it stay warmer in one place or are they similar? Also, what of pollution when you compare the two?

Old 05-04-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanotherwayfarer View Post
Thanks everyone, how would you compare the climate of the two? Does it stay warmer in one place or are they similar? Also, what of pollution when you compare the two?
Louisville is more polluted than Cincinnati by comparison. Louisville experiences more hot and humid summer months. Cincinnati looks more forested and also has a hilly layout.

https://www.rd.com/advice/travel/50-...es-in-america/

Old 05-05-2020, 12:49 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,753,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanotherwayfarer View Post
You will really thrive in Floyds Knobs IN. Upscale, safe scenic but still a very big house for the money. Suburban yet close to all the culture Louisville has to offer.

Cincy is bigger and much rougher around the edges not only in more run down buildings but larger homeless population and slower growth. It's also a city about 60% bigger in MSA but besides pro sports and a couple department stores, there's not a staggering difference in the two DAY TO DAY LIVING. Also, while Cincy fans will boast about their cultural/museum scene, it is not vastly superior to the scene in Louisville, just different and complimentary to what is in Louisville (the two cities trade residents and day visitors like no other at 100 miles apart).

Three of the suburbs you are looking at are Louisville suburbs. All are infinitely better than Lawrenceburg, IN.

Floyds Knobs is great (BIG TIME top public school system in Floyd Central) and its nearby urban neighborhood of New Albany is super cute and rejuvenated. All of this 20 mins from Louisville amenities even Whole Foods, etc. Louisville is very similar to a
big city" version of Charlottesville. Charlottesville is one little area....Louisville is different urban districts, neighborhoods, and festivals. It shares that and red brick river history along with German/Catholic and Irish heritage along w/ Cincy.

Many city neighborhoods are older and graffiti is big so that may look it "rough" but crime wise the bigger cities like Cincy have more.

Louisville has more tourism, job, population, and better economic growth outlook overall compared to Cincinnati, but its not a substantial difference.

The difference in snow is somewhat large IMO. Louisville gets less and 3-5 degrees warmer in any season is a big difference IMO.

Old 05-05-2020, 01:03 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,753,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Louisville is more polluted than Cincinnati by comparison. Louisville experiences more hot and humid summer months. Cincinnati looks more forested and also has a hilly layout.

https://www.rd.com/advice/travel/50-...es-in-america/
Hmmm..Most rankings I see show Cincy much dirtier

Most Polluted Cities | State of the Air

I will trust the American Lung Association's 2020 rankings over what you posted. Cincinnati is a bigger MSA too....it has worse air, worse climate, and that's a fact.

Louisville does have worse allergy issues than Cincy. Not a ton more, but allergies in Louisville are bad but probably similar to VA.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Hmmm..Most rankings I see show Cincy much dirtier

Most Polluted Cities | State of the Air

I will trust the American Lung Association's 2020 rankings over what you posted. Cincinnati is a bigger MSA too....it has worse air, worse climate, and that's a fact.

Louisville does have worse allergy issues than Cincy. Not a ton more, but allergies in Louisville are bad but probably similar to VA.
Pollution includes more than just air particulates. The article I posted was more comprehensive. Also, neither city can claim good performance on air quality.

https://wfpl.org/as-it-turns-out-lou...e-epa-thought/

Last edited by Shakeesha; 05-05-2020 at 09:19 AM..

Old 05-05-2020, 12:23 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,626,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I prefer Cincy's northern suburbs to the KY suburbs. These areas are growing faster and feel more established. Montgomery, Mason, Sharonville, West Chester are nice. I am less familiar with Louisville's suburbs, but the nicer areas are around Prospect and Crestwood. New Albany and Jeffersonville are their own cities with nice historic neighborhoods.

Inner city best neighborhoods:

Louisville: The Highlands
Cincinnati: Hyde Park

Work in Progress Neighborhoods:

Louisville: Nulu
Cincinnati: OTR
Hyde Park is not an inner city neighborhood. It is an old money type community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City