Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 08:20 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I do not find Santa Barbara humid at all. Especially in comparison to Austin. What I find interesting and shocking about Austin is its public transportation system and its traffic. With all the people moving there what is being addressed about that?
Santa Barbara is technically quite a bit more humid than Austin. However, you feel humidity more the higher the temperature, and Austin is much hotter.

Austin has this on the ballot in November, but who knows what will happen given the current circumstances.

https://capmetro.org/projectconnect/

I think Austin traffic is fine if you live and work centrally. I haven't had a commute longer than 20 minutes in many years, and I only drive about once per week. However, if you buy a house way out in the suburbs and commute downtown it will not be fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 09:57 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Austin is dry compared to Houston or Florida. It's also drier than say, San Francisco, but MUCH hotter! Compared to an actual arid climate like Santa Fe, it is quite humid for sure. Austin is at the border between semi-arid West Texas and the humid subtropical gulf coast and it takes on characteristics of both clkmates.

Austin is probably more laid back than LA or Brooklyn, but could be relatively similar. I would have to ask what your house budget is and whether you need public schools as Austin is a relatively small city and the vibe can vary based on neighborhood. Some of the places with more character can be expensive and tougher to find the zoning with good public schools. The suburb areas are more affordable but can feel like anytown, USA.

I live in east Austin and there is a great community of young families in my neighborhood, but the schools I'm zoned to are rated very poorly. Most families either have very young children, home school, or do some kind of transfer lottery. I don't have children myself.
Well I should clarify by saying that Austin feels humid to me being from out west .......i know its not as humid as somewhere on the Gulf.However, I would still call Austin humid or at least it is to me but I know its relative.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:30 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times
If Santa Barbara is an option, and you can swing it, I don’t know why you’d consider any other city? Near perfect weather, beautiful beaches with mountains just off the coast, and probably the cleanest (and safest) city you’ll ever see.

It’s only downside (besides being insanely expensive), but also one of its huge pluses, is that it’s not a major city. But it’s only 1.5 -2 hrs to Los Angeles, and 3.5-4 hrs and 5 hrs to San Diego and San Francisco, respectively.

While it is expensive, it does get considerably cheaper when you go inland a bit to the Santa Ynez Valley. I don’t think I’ve ever met a person that’s been to Santa Barbara that wouldn’t drop everything to move there if they could.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:36 AM

12,824 posts, read 9,541,088 times
If budget is not an issue, SB wins handily here.

Old 07-21-2020, 06:55 AM

29 posts, read 29,202 times
Thanks everyone for your responses! - budget unfortunately is an issue, which is why Austin looks more affordable, but it's missing the scenery and everything else California comes with. Is there anywhere outside of SB that's more affordable? Buellton and Ventura look more affordable, still not THAT affordable. I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of what each place offers in terms of things to do, but there are nuances to people that take a while to learn. I'm also really tired of snobby people who only value materialism or quid pro quo relationships, what can you do for their career? I guess this can't be avoided though. Though are there nuances to the people in the places, that takes a while to understand, only from living there, for example, a heavy presence of local families so if you are not from there, you will feel left out? Are there people who are transplants looking for friendsgivings, etc. We are not interested in purchasing, interested in renting a townhome or single family home, and possibly joining local swim club or sailing club for a sense of community, or something like that, if any of that could be afforded. Thanks

Last edited by lake825; 07-21-2020 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: additional question

Old 07-22-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake825 View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses! - budget unfortunately is an issue, which is why Austin looks more affordable, but it's missing the scenery and everything else California comes with. Is there anywhere outside of SB that's more affordable? Buellton and Ventura look more affordable, still not THAT affordable. I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of what each place offers in terms of things to do, but there are nuances to people that take a while to learn. I'm also really tired of snobby people who only value materialism or quid pro quo relationships, what can you do for their career? I guess this can't be avoided though. Though are there nuances to the people in the places, that takes a while to understand, only from living there, for example, a heavy presence of local families so if you are not from there, you will feel left out? Are there people who are transplants looking for friendsgivings, etc. We are not interested in purchasing, interested in renting a townhome or single family home, and possibly joining local swim club or sailing club for a sense of community, or something like that, if any of that could be afforded. Thanks
Austin has a different kind of beauty, the hill country is beautiful but I don't think it compares to the overall landscape and variety of California. I don't think any place can. I enjoyed my time in Austin, but ultimately my career calls and I'm headed to OC myself.

What happened to Santa Fe? It has much better weather than Austin, and probably similar prices and better scenery.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:21 AM

472 posts, read 346,532 times
I like Santa Fe the best out of these options. In my opinion, it is aesthetically the most magical. It is also more affordable compared to Santa Barbara. The climate is great- there's great amenities for a place its size. The only issue is the public school system- it is sadly lacking in caliber; the entire state really lags behind in that department. If you can afford it though, the private schools in the area are top notch. Great skiing and hiking nearby; folks in the area are also really welcoming. I like SB and Austin a lot. My family is from all parts of the Southwest, hah, but I think Santa Fe is just a really special and neat place. It isn't for everyone though but I really recommend it!

Old 07-22-2020, 11:21 AM

330 posts, read 149,246 times
Agree with Crazy Breakfast here. I would rule out Austin if you can work from home and take advantage of being able to live in either SB or SF, two beautiful places you likely wouldn't be able move to if you needed to secure a job commuting into the office daily. It sounds like the schools are taken care of in all three. I think COL in Santa Fe is comparable to Austin, and both are well below SB. The weather in SF is much drier and SF experiences many more sunny days. While you'll have to deal with a mild winter at SF elevation and some snowfall you'll actually be able to spend time outdoors in the sun during the summer.

Old 07-22-2020, 11:35 AM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times
For me Santa Fe would be too small of a city. But I think if the favorite option is Santa Barbara (an even smaller city), Santa Fe makes a lot of sense as a compromise. ABQ could be an option as well.

Also, Austin isn't a dry climate. NM is as dry as it gets.

Old 07-22-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazybreakfast View Post
I like Santa Fe the best out of these options. In my opinion, it is aesthetically the most magical. It is also more affordable compared to Santa Barbara. The climate is great- there's great amenities for a place its size. The only issue is the public school system- it is sadly lacking in caliber; the entire state really lags behind in that department. If you can afford it though, the private schools in the area are top notch. Great skiing and hiking nearby; folks in the area are also really welcoming. I like SB and Austin a lot. My family is from all parts of the Southwest, hah, but I think Santa Fe is just a really special and neat place. It isn't for everyone though but I really recommend it!
I've been to SF once. I loved it. Maybe a bit small and missing a couple of cultural things I'm used to, but great town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City