U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City would you chose for us?
Houston 27 20.00%
Dallas 51 37.78%
Atlanta 57 42.22%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 01:05 AM

2,368 posts, read 2,673,708 times

Advertisements

So me and my Wife live in Houston. She's a Houstonian and I've lived in Houston going on 10 years now. We did live in Atlanta for 2 years together before we decided to move back due to having our first child. We moved back to Houston in large part due to us having a big network of family support. Job wise and career wise it was a step back but at the time with a newborn in a city with less family support we decided moving back was best for us. This was in 2017 when we moved backed.

With all that said, fast forward to 2020 and I started to get use to the idea of staying in Houston permanently. But my companies Houston location is somewhat in uncharted water due to the pandemic. The company has other locations which happen to be in Atlanta and Dallas(HQ) and they'll be in much better shape in the long run. I worked at the location in Atlanta and preferred working there than the location in Houston simply because I was on the trajectory up within the company in Atlanta. Also my Wife who is a Houstonian claims she doesn't see herself living in Houston for much longer. Dallas and Atlanta are better cities for her career but Houston definitely can still work for her career. So I broke down OUR pros and cons for all 3 cities.

Houston:
Pros:
1. Most of our immediate family lives here.
2. Richmond/Ft.Bend area has the type of schools I want for my daughter (great diverse schools with significant amount of Black students)
3. The subdivisions we can tolerate are not far from the city and there's good enough amenities close by.
4. COL is the cheapest of all 3
5. We're very settled and comfortable here.
6. Like the culture the best here out of all 3
7. We have a good circle of close friends here.

Cons:
1. Job economy is lacking in comparison to other 2
2. The Weather
3. Feels like we're just settling here
4. Will have to get another job if we remain here.
5. Traffic
6. Inner ring burbs we like were impacted by Harvey so that has paused our aspirations of living close to the city of Houston. (there's still flood rings on street and stop signs in neighborhoods of interest we've explored)
7. Suburbs are the "weakest" out the 3 to us.

Dallas:
Pros:
1. Have just as much family here plus I'll be closer to my Parents in Northeast Texas.
2. Richardson,TX is the most ideal location of "suburban" to me and the Wife.
3. There's a little bit more walkable neighborhoods in the city
4. Diverse job market
5. I wouldn't have to leave the company I work for and I can make more
6. We have a solid circle of close friends here.
7. Still in Texas

Cons:
1. Like Houston a little better but Dallas is growing on us the more we visit.
2. COL is higher
3. The schools in the area we like are not as diverse as I'd like once it gets pass elementary school.
4. The weather
5. Feels a little similar to Houston to justify moving there simply for a Job.

Atlanta:
Pros:
1. Best city for both of our careers
2. Our favorite city out of the 3
3. Pretty good schools in suburbs we actually like.
4. Houses in the areas we like actually seem less expensive than Dallas and Houston.
5. It's more urban than the other 2.
6.True 4 seasons
7. Love the natural beauty and the outdoorsy activities the metro offers.

Cons:
1. Lack of family in comparison to the other 2.
2. Fear that my child won't have as close of a relationship with her immediate family due to living outside of TX.
3. Traffic
4. COL is higher than Houston
5. The schools I would like for my child don't seem as good as Houston and Dallas schools on paper.
6. Will have to spend most vacation time visiting Grandparents in Texas

Now going off ya own experiences of what you know of either city, try to put yourself in our shoes and see which city would you choose to live in. Keep in mind wherever we choose to move to will be in a suburb at least 25-30 minutes from the city or a inner-burb. We actually like all 3 just stuck on which city do we want to call our home permanently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 01:37 AM

12,486 posts, read 18,998,612 times
Bro. That’s a tough one.

From the private conversations that we’ve had, you like being among a lot of black people and surrounded by black culture. With that being said, Houston and Atlanta are at the top. Also, you seem to like the two more, based on your criteria. You like Atlanta more than the other cities, but you like Houston’s vibe better than the other cities.

I would stay in Houston (family and school) or go to Atlanta (career and more urban living).

Old 05-11-2020, 06:26 AM

5,101 posts, read 1,944,191 times
For your situation, you can't go wrong with neither Dallas nor Atlanta.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:33 AM

3,159 posts, read 4,615,756 times
You can’t go wrong with either, but DFW would keep you closer to family. Sometimes you just can’t put a price on that. If I’m not mistaken DFW has a larger black population than Houston Metro now, but being a larger area, it may just not be as noticeable. Black friends of mine that have grown up here or moved here seem to really like it.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:47 AM

4,614 posts, read 1,867,923 times
There isnt going to be one shoe that fits all I'm afraid. You have to figure out what you're really willing to sacrifice, that will lead you to your answer, HOWEVER; given the Covid-19 pandemic, job security is a #1 priority over all others so I wouldnt stay in Houston just because you're comfortable there and especially that you may end up unemployed with a family and you have the means to nip that in the bud.

With Atlanta, you like it but you feel it may not be the best choice for your family.

With Dallas, its growing on you and allows you to be close to your family but isnt cheap. (There are some on here that believe Atlanta is more expensive than DFW, I personally feel otherwise).

With Dallas, especially given it's a HQ for your company, you get more job security and you're closer to your family.

With Atlanta, the operation is probably doing better than Houston but that can change as we dont know how this pandemic will turn out, and you may still be put in the same boat as you are in Houston, and you will also be further from help if things fall out the sky for you.

You will have to be the one to decide what is more important, whether it be your family proximity or your passions.

I'm not going to vote here.

I will say if it were my child and we were speaking immediate family such as siblings / mother ... I would not seperate them, that would be a much higher priority than which metro I lived in. If it were aunts, uncles, grandparents however I dont think that is a big deal.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
You can’t go wrong with either, but DFW would keep you closer to family. Sometimes you just can’t put a price on that. If I’m not mistaken DFW has a larger black population than Houston Metro now, but being a larger area, it may just not be as noticeable. Black friends of mine that have grown up here or moved here seem to really like it.
Houston still has more at the moment. Houston just seems blacker due to the way the metro is set up.

All in all, he’s not in a bad situation. Either choice would be ideal for them; I think it boils down to preference.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:35 AM

Honestly, these jobs nowadays have no loyalty. I don’t think job security nearly exists the way it used to back in the day. Companies let some of the best people go like a drop of a dime. Also, this pandemic is forcing companies to trim employees and to present many employees with work-from-home options.

I would choose comfortability and family over jobs because who knows what’s in the future with this new normal. It’s a risk that we are all faced with. If you were single, then I would say “Go”; IDK your faith, but consult God on this and let your heart and spirit guide you on this decision.

I still think Houston and Atlanta would be better options. I know in this climate for black people that kids need all the blackness they can get in schools; it’s imperative for their upbringing and sanity.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:57 AM

5,101 posts, read 1,944,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Houston still has more at the moment. Houston just seems blacker due to the way the metro is set up.
Just ran the numbers and Houston metro has 250K more black people than Dallas metro.

What also makes Houston seem "blacker" on the surface are a couple things:

1. Because of its proximity, Houston's culture has more of a deep south connection, where the culture is more heavily influenced by black people since they make up a plurality if not majority of the population in that region. Dallas, conversely, has more of a hybrid Western / Midwestern connection, where the culture is more heavily influenced by people of European descent.

2. The racial wealth/economic disparity is much greater in Dallas than Houston. Houston has Dallas beat when it comes to good-paying blue collar jobs and healthcare, which are both occupational areas where black people tend to make up a larger share of the labor force. Thus, you're more likely to run to "ordinary" black people doing well for themselves in Houston than Dallas.

Last edited by citidata18; 05-11-2020 at 10:10 AM..

Old 05-11-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
What makes Houston seem "blacker" on the surface are a couple things:

1. Because of its proximity, Houston's culture has more of a deep south connection, where the culture is more heavily influenced by black people since they make up a plurality if not majority of the population in that region. Dallas, conversely, has more of a hybrid Western / Midwestern connection, where the culture is more heavily influenced by people of European descent.

2. The racial wealth/economic disparity is much greater in Dallas than Houston. Houston has Dallas beat when it comes to good-paying blue collar jobs and healthcare, which are both occupational areas where black people tend to make up a larger share of the labor force. Thus, you're more likely to run to "ordinary" black people doing well for themselves in Houston than Dallas.
I agree.

Also, Houston isn’t as segregated. You have thriving black communities all over the metro. We aren’t confined to one area of the metro. The north side is just as black as the south side. Houston’s dominant culture is black (slight edge over the other cultures), if you ask me.

Houston thrives on black culture. DFW and Atlanta have more Africans than Houston, but Houston feels like it’s more African than the two. Houston’s openness to diversity helps this a bunch.

Red lives in The Woodlands, which is lily white. However, he’s close to Spring, which has a pretty solid middle class black population. He prefers Fort Bend County’s school system, which has a black plurality.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:20 AM

2,714 posts, read 901,152 times
Id say Dallas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or