Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 10:39 AM

5,822 posts, read 5,627,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Boston would have a much lower crime rate if the police and judges weren’t extremely lax

96% of non fatal shootings in Boston go unsolved-the highest rate in the country by far. If you shoot someone in Boston and they don’t get arrested 24/25 times you’re fine to go shoot another person.
This is more an American problem than a Boston one; Charlotte has also released media reports like this...

Incidentally, in my former life Charlotte is the only place and time I was ever arrested for a shooting. Only one other time was I ever even investigated for a shooting, about four and a half years earlier, different place, but no charges came from that and no convictions came from either...

Gun crimes, along with murder (which of course doesn't have to involve a gun), are the toughest crimes to prove and obtain a conviction, so it stands to reason they are the toughest crimes to investigate. It isn't a surprise that many gun offenders are roaming the streets. A relative small percentage of guys in the streets commit a disproportionately high number of gun violence...

That's an American issue, though. The stories you posted from Boston have been told and retold in cities around the nation; America's love of all things GUNS has had a negative manifestation in a variety of ways...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 12:04 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This is more an American problem than a Boston one; Charlotte has also released media reports like this...

Incidentally, in my former life Charlotte is the only place and time I was ever arrested for a shooting. Only one other time was I ever even investigated for a shooting, about four and a half years earlier, different place, but no charges came from that and no convictions came from either...

Gun crimes, along with murder (which of course doesn't have to involve a gun), are the toughest crimes to prove and obtain a conviction, so it stands to reason they are the toughest crimes to investigate. It isn't a surprise that many gun offenders are roaming the streets. A relative small percentage of guys in the streets commit a disproportionately high number of gun violence...

That's an American issue, though. The stories you posted from Boston have been told and retold in cities around the nation; America's love of all things GUNS has had a negative manifestation in a variety of ways...
Study itself says Boston is the highest of a pretty comprehensive study for non arrests. This in addition tot he bottom of the barrel incarceration rate as well as the quick releases lead me to believe Boston is a bit more lax than most places. Obviously most gun crimes are not investigated or solved but it’s usually higher than 4%.

When I returned to Wood Ave in 2010 after a brief hiatus the gang had literally posted flyers of themselves since the electrical post adjacent to my home.

Boston never adapted d the broken windows theory like NYC and instead chose community policing with a focus on community preservation and job training Thus allowing many criminals to remain in the community so long as they didn’t cause any further and I quote “Ra-Ra” I remember being told by my mentor and sergeants Benzino wanted to throw a block party in his Dorchester neighborhood. The was told he’d get no permits because it’s would create a dangerous situation due to his enemies. Good idea to, he was shot at his Mothers funeral in Massachusetts..by his own nephew.

Boston's lax enforcement has attracted criminal organization from other cities. The Columbia Point Dawgs were founded by a man from Detroit who came to Boston to set up shop around 1987.

The Orchard Park Trailblazers (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orch...k_Trailblazers) began as the New York Boys whose founder -Daryl Whiting- was from Queens. It’s a favorable environment to commit crime in comparison to many cities. Less so. I’m than 2000 or 2010 but still...Boston is one of few places where legitimate neighborhoods are referred to by their gang name like HBlock is.

Obviously I don’t think Boston has an extreme amount of crime it doesn’t. But it’s heavily concentrated in areas where gang culture is well known (maybe similar to LA?) Dorchester Roxbury and Mattapan accumulated over 900 unsolved murders in 40 years and the area is just 11 square miles.

After the takedown of CPD who had lucrative business fronts from Georgia to Maine as well as 1.2 million dollars cash) in 2015. Boston experienceD a power void and three consecutive years of homicide increases. In 2016 16 teenage boys age 16-19 were murdered. For this very reason BPD prefers to keep thing stable in general. The CPD takedown was initiated by the FBI not BPD.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2015/10...-killings/amp/

Boston had the widest gap in Black homicide and white homicide clearance rates in the US circa ~2015 https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...cides-arrests/

“ The Boston Herald over the last week or so has made much ado about the unsolved homicide cases in the City of Boston. A headline on July 28 read: “Boston lags behind U.S. in solving murders.” The first few lines read: “The Boston Police Department is carrying a grim ledger of 336 unsolved murder cases from the past 10 years -- a period that saw the city consistently lagging behind the national average for cracking slay cases despite repeated changes in strategies and leadership, a Herald review found. The stunning total of unsolved cases encompasses 2004 to 2013, . . . killed 628 people across the dozen neighborhoods patrolled by Boston cops” (my emphasis) The article then went on to show the homicides occurred at a much greater rate in black neighborhoods: “Black men were slain at 10 times the rate of white men” and “More than two-thirds of the city’s murders were committed in Roxbury, Mattapan and Dorchester” which are predominately black areas. Then it put a little bit of a hit on the Boston Police: “Of the city’s 628 victims, 410 were black males and 38 were white males. But police solved only 38 percent of the murders of black males compared to 79 percent for the slayings of white men.” Overall, it noted that “police arrested, charged or formally identified suspects in 47 percent of the homicides.””

Yes gangs make crimes harder to solve etc etc but naw there are some definite things here that are amplified or unique to Boston, murkside..

Crime in Baltimore operate Ms in a very different more regionalized, violent and random way.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:18 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,076,536 times
Quote:
Mass also has the lowest incarceration rate in the lower 48.
Yeah.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...pervision_rate

Old 05-14-2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Study itself says Boston is the highest of a pretty comprehensive study for non arrests. This in addition tot he bottom of the barrel incarceration rate as well as the quick releases lead me to believe Boston is a bit more lax than most places. Obviously most gun crimes are not investigated or solved but it’s usually higher than 4%.

When I returned to Wood Ave in 2010 after a brief hiatus the gang had literally posted flyers of themselves since the electrical post adjacent to my home.

Boston never adapted d the broken windows theory like NYC and instead chose community policing with a focus on community preservation and job training Thus allowing many criminals to remain in the community so long as they didn’t cause any further and I quote “Ra-Ra” I remember being told by my mentor and sergeants Benzino wanted to throw a block party in his Dorchester neighborhood. The was told he’d get no permits because it’s would create a dangerous situation due to his enemies. Good idea to, he was shot at his Mothers funeral in Massachusetts..by his own nephew.

Boston's lax enforcement has attracted criminal organization from other cities. The Columbia Point Dawgs were founded by a man from Detroit who came to Boston to set up shop around 1987.

The Orchard Park Trailblazers (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orch...k_Trailblazers) began as the New York Boys whose founder -Daryl Whiting- was from Queens. It’s a favorable environment to commit crime in comparison to many cities. Less so. I’m than 2000 or 2010 but still...Boston is one of few places where legitimate neighborhoods are referred to by their gang name like HBlock is.

Obviously I don’t think Boston has an extreme amount of crime it doesn’t. But it’s heavily concentrated in areas where gang culture is well known (maybe similar to LA?) Dorchester Roxbury and Mattapan accumulated over 900 unsolved murders in 40 years and the area is just 11 square miles.

After the takedown of CPD who had lucrative business fronts from Georgia to Maine as well as 1.2 million dollars cash) in 2015. Boston experienceD a power void and three consecutive years of homicide increases. In 2016 16 teenage boys age 16-19 were murdered. For this very reason BPD prefers to keep thing stable in general. The CPD takedown was initiated by the FBI not BPD.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2015/10...-killings/amp/

Boston had the widest gap in Black homicide and white homicide clearance rates in the US circa ~2015 https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...cides-arrests/

“ The Boston Herald over the last week or so has made much ado about the unsolved homicide cases in the City of Boston. A headline on July 28 read: “Boston lags behind U.S. in solving murders.” The first few lines read: “The Boston Police Department is carrying a grim ledger of 336 unsolved murder cases from the past 10 years -- a period that saw the city consistently lagging behind the national average for cracking slay cases despite repeated changes in strategies and leadership, a Herald review found. The stunning total of unsolved cases encompasses 2004 to 2013, . . . killed 628 people across the dozen neighborhoods patrolled by Boston cops” (my emphasis) The article then went on to show the homicides occurred at a much greater rate in black neighborhoods: “Black men were slain at 10 times the rate of white men” and “More than two-thirds of the city’s murders were committed in Roxbury, Mattapan and Dorchester” which are predominately black areas. Then it put a little bit of a hit on the Boston Police: “Of the city’s 628 victims, 410 were black males and 38 were white males. But police solved only 38 percent of the murders of black males compared to 79 percent for the slayings of white men.” Overall, it noted that “police arrested, charged or formally identified suspects in 47 percent of the homicides.””

Yes gangs make crimes harder to solve etc etc but naw there are some definite things here that are amplified or unique to Boston, murkside..

Crime in Baltimore operate Ms in a very different more regionalized, violent and random way.
It all sounds relative, bro. Many cities publish indictments of their criminals and law enforcement like, this, but I get you....

More than who has the lowest rates or whatever, I was speaking on the general fact that arresting and locking up shooters isn't a one city issue, it's an American thing ..

Old 05-14-2020, 12:48 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,183,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not really. As others said, New York is no longer a high crime city (and hasn't been for a while).

Also, Wichita is a high crime city, not surprised that it is ranked higher than Philadelphia either.

This list follows the crime rankings pretty well actually.
Absolutely correct.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
It all sounds relative, bro. Many cities publish indictments of their criminals and law enforcement like, this, but I get you....

More than who has the lowest rates or whatever, I was speaking on the general fact that arresting and locking up shooters isn't a one city issue, it's an American thing ..
The last link I gave you was a Washington postcarticle about Boston.

-Lowest incarceration rate In the nation

-Lowest arrest rate on non fatal shootings in the nation

-Biggest black-white homicide clearance disparity in the nation

^at a certain point it goes beyond happenstance... all that tells me is in Boston there is a general reaction to not pursue and to try and stabilize. This probably gives Boston a higher violent crime rate than one would expect given its prosperity and education. judging by incarceration rate I’d say DC might also follow this trend.

I know it’s unique to Boston to some extent because the other cities in MA generally don’t have as much of a problem solving homicides and don’t have as many homicides, e.g. Worcester. Even though many of them are much poorer, more blighted and more isolated. Springfield has the homicides but clears most of them. New Bedford doesn’t have the homicides but has higher in pretty much every other category and is the “Secret City”

It’s a certain culture that took root here and the law enforcement response -in my opinion has been good-but lax.

And ultimately I’m not staying no one else has some of these same issues but maybe in a less pronounced way. I’m just speaking from my side of the world ...
Attached Thumbnails
Ranking of most dangerous big cities by crime rate-32be9b17-1206-400d-936f-d860e9d7eaac.jpeg   Ranking of most dangerous big cities by crime rate-ba3c9d5c-6157-4139-bb71-3d4818adff6b.jpeg  

Old 05-14-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:

^at a certain point it goes beyond happenstance... all that tells me is in Boston there is a general reaction to not pursue and to try and stabilize. This probably gives Boston a higher violent crime rate than one would expect given its prosperity and education. judging by incarceration rate I’d say DC might also follow this trend.

I know it’s unique to Boston to some extent because the other cities in MA generally don’t have as much of a problem solving homicides and don’t have as many homicides, e.g. Worcester. Even though many of them are much poorer, more blighted and more isolated. Springfield has the homicides but clears most of them. New Bedford doesn’t have the homicides but has higher in pretty much every other category and is the “Secret City”

It’s a certain culture that took root here and the law enforcement response -in my opinion has been good-but lax.

And ultimately I’m not staying no one else has some of these same issues but maybe in a less pronounced way. I’m just speaking from my side of the world ...
Which again, I'm not denying that a study says Boston has an issue at a more pronounced rate...

Boston seems bad for Mass; the overall issue is relative...

Old 05-14-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Which again, I'm not denying that maybe a study says Boston has an issue at a more pronounced rate...

The issue is relative...
Well okay, yea for sure. Relative of course. American issue but it all cities deal with the same issues the same way or to the same extent.

America has a drug problem. Boston does not have a meth problem. Missouri does.

America has a violent Crime problem. That problem is more pronounced in Philadelphia than Boston.

America has a illegal immigration problem..

I think we’ve reached an understanding here lol.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:57 PM

2,655 posts, read 2,097,567 times
Quote:

Yup. Quite relative to majority of urban poverty. Geographically smaller would be a place like compton.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:25 PM

6,561 posts, read 12,044,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
Here's the MSA list. Ranking of most dangerous big Metropolitan Statistical Areas by crime rate.

These are the 50 largest MSA's from the FBI UCR with complete crime data. Some notable MSA's are missing such as New York, Chicago, Houston, Detroit, St. Louis and a few others due to missing or incomplete MSA crime data.

1 Memphis, TN-MS-AR M.S.A.
2 Albuquerque, NM M.S.A.
3 Baltimore-Columbia-Towson, MD M.S.A.
4 Bakersfield, CA M.S.A.
5 Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN M.S.A.
6 Tulsa, OK M.S.A.
7 Baton Rouge, LA M.S.A.
8 Fresno, CA M.S.A.
9 Oklahoma City, OK M.S.A.
10 Tucson, AZ M.S.A.
11 Milwaukee-Waukesha, WI M.S.A.
12 San Francisco-Oakland-Berkeley, CA M.S.A.
13 Salt Lake City, UT M.S.A.
14 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA M.S.A.
15 Jacksonville, FL M.S.A.
16 Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler, AZ M.S.A.
17 Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL M.S.A.
18 Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC M.S.A.
19 Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue, WA M.S.A.
20 Orlando-Kissimmee-Sanford, FL M.S.A.
21 Knoxville, TN M.S.A.
22 Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, CA M.S.A.
23 Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD M.S.A.
24 Sacramento-Roseville-Folsom, CA M.S.A.
25 Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA M.S.A.
26 Buffalo-Cheektowaga, NY M.S.A.
27 Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta, GA M.S.A.
28 Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX M.S.A.
29 Virginia Beach-Norfolk-Newport News, VA-NC M.S.A.
30 San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, CA M.S.A.
31 Urban Honolulu, HI M.S.A.
32 Columbus, OH M.S.A.
33 Austin-Round Rock-Georgetown, TX M.S.A.
34 San Diego-Chula Vista-Carlsbad, CA M.S.A.
35 McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX M.S.A.
36 Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL M.S.A.
37 Albany-Schenectady-Troy, NY M.S.A.
38 Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI M.S.A.
39 Grand Rapids-Kentwood, MI M.S.A.
40 Richmond, VA M.S.A.
41 Worcester, MA-CT M.S.A.
42 Hartford-East Hartford-Middletown, CT M.S.A.
43 Providence-Warwick, RI-MA M.S.A.
44 Rochester, NY M.S.A
45 Cincinnati, OH-KY-IN M.S.A.
46 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV M.S.A.
47 Pittsburgh, PA M.S.A.
48 Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, CA M.S.A.
49 Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH M.S.A.
50 Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT M.S.A.

Source - https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...tables/table-6
I was thinking Atlanta wasn't on the list because I didn't expect it to see it so low. As I said before it's a relatively safe MSA (not the best but not the worst, pretty much right in the middle) while the city proper is not so much, since it has a small population less than 10% of the MSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City