Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Midwestern city with most urban character?
Detroit 30 21.43%
MSP 32 22.86%
ST Louis 32 22.86%
Cincinnati 13 9.29%
Indy 5 3.57%
KCMO 3 2.14%
Cleveland 10 7.14%
Columbus 3 2.14%
Milwaukee 10 7.14%
Grand Rapids 2 1.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 07:50 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I disagree with some of this. Minneapolis looks and feels like a significantly larger city than Cleveland. Cleveland feels like a Kansas City or Indianapolis, both of which are larger metro areas. From the street, Minneapolis provides more walkability and cycle friendly areas. The immediate downtown, west broad, south end etc. all feel more vibrant than Cleveland with university circle being an exception. There are numerous parks and green space close by in safe neighborhoods.

https://www.minneapolis.org/neighborhoods/

Bicycling in Minneapolis - City of Minneapolis
Minneapolis' downtown is far from vibrant. I was there last year, and the streets were almost deserted. The bus stops had more people than the streets, and not that many were at the bus stops. People say, they have the sky walks, and that's why streets are deserted, but the sky walks were deserted, as well. I was shocked, to say the least. There is a problem with crime in downtown Minneapolis, and that has attributed to less people on the streets, I believe. Google it, there are articles. There's an article in the Star Tribune, about serious crime downtown spiking 70%. Not good.

Here's one article of many: https://alphanewsmn.com/downtown-min...lying-in-wait/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 08:01 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,656,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Cleveland feels like a Kansas City or Indianapolis, both of which are larger metro areas.
This is complete nonsense and a total misnomer. Cleveland feels (and is, effectively,) a lot bigger than KC and Indianapolis. Urbanized area is the only practical metric when it comes to how big a city/metro feels, and Cleveland ranks #25, well ahead of both KC (31) and Indianapolis (33). KC and Indy feel like overgrown small towns; Cleveland has a mature and seasoned urban context. Sure, maybe those downtowns are more "vibrant" by current standards, but Cleveland feels like a big legacy city (same class as Detroit, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, etc), with all the infrastructure that comes with having been a top 10 city from 1890-1970. Sorry, KC and Indy don't even come close.

And Cleveland is the primary city in a CSA of some 4.5 million people, and that is important.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:07 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
With this metric i would still say Cleveland is more urban, its people use transit more making MSP more of a car city compared to Cleveland. if you are talking about the vibe of the city there is no way Downtown Minneapolis has more of a big city vibe than Downtown Cleveland. Minneapolis has a skyway system that drastically cuts the foot traffic compared to Cleveland where there is more street store fronts instead of looking like a big office park. Minneapolis really only feels bigger than Cleveland is when there is a big event at the U.S Bank Stadium. and just like Minneapolis, Cleveland has its NBA, NFL and MLB team downtown.
Statistically that’s untrue. Per Capita Minneapolis has about 2x the transit usage of Cleveland.

And this also isn’t about just Downtown the whole city of Minneapolis is much much more urban than Cleveland.

People like to act like Rust Belt Cities are just like they were in 1960 but the neighborhoods have drastically emptied out. They really don’t have amenities in many neighborhoods that makes the neighborhoods urban.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:09 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,456,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post
This is complete nonsense and a total misnomer. Cleveland feels (and is, effectively,) a lot bigger than KC and Indianapolis. Urbanized area is the only practical metric when it comes to how big a city/metro feels, and Cleveland ranks #25, well ahead of both KC (31) and Indianapolis (33). KC and Indy feel like overgrown small towns; Cleveland has a mature and seasoned urban context. Sure, maybe those downtowns are more "vibrant" by current standards, but Cleveland feels like a big legacy city (same class as Detroit, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, etc), with all the infrastructure that comes with having been a top 10 city from 1890-1970. Sorry, KC and Indy don't even come close.

And Cleveland is the primary city in a CSA of some 4.5 million people, and that is important.
I agree that Cleveland has stronger urban 'bones' than Indy or KCMO, but "urbanized area" doesn't really mean much. It should really be called "suburbanized area."

Old 05-19-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Statistically that’s untrue. Per Capita Minneapolis has about 2x the transit usage of Cleveland.

And this also isn’t about just Downtown the whole city of Minneapolis is much much more urban than Cleveland.

People like to act like Rust Belt Cities are just like they were in 1960 but the neighborhoods have drastically emptied out. They really don’t have amenities in many neighborhoods that makes the neighborhoods urban.
I posted some pics of Milwaukee you should look at. Many neighborhoods that are urban.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:20 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I posted some pics of Milwaukee you should look at. Many neighborhoods that are urban.
Milwaukee is certainly the 2nd most cohesive after the Twin cities I would say.

They basically have built density from the same era (St Louis being a generation older than the rest though)

For that reason I think Population density is a decent measure for the true urban ness of the cities.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:53 PM

4,527 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgasm View Post

Thank you. FYI, Shakeesha is a longtime Cleveland hater.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:17 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
The question asked about "the most urban character," not "the most population density." They're not the same thing, as I'm sure you know.

I've been to Milwaukee once, and the areas I was in (outside of downtown and around the Miller factory) weren't all that urban. It was primarily made up of single-family housing and I didn't see any walkable retail districts.

That said, I grant you it was merely an impression based on one visit. I'm willing to be proven otherwise.
The Miller "factory" is in a long industrial corridor that extends for miles west of downtown. Mostly factories, rail yards, etc. Had you ventured a mile or so north or south of that corridor, you would've found yourself in neighborhoods chock-a-block with the city's ubiquitous 2-story duplexes situated on narrow lots:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0501...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0215...7i13312!8i6656

North or south of downtown, even more urban-form neighborhoods:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0495...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9975...7i16384!8i8192

Walkable retail a mile north of downtown:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0601...7i16384!8i8192

Walkable retail south of downtown:
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0122...7i16384!8i8192

Old 05-19-2020, 10:30 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,985,611 times
Quote:
Minneapolis' downtown is far from vibrant. I was there last year, and the streets were almost deserted. The bus stops had more people than the streets, and not that many were at the bus stops. People say, they have the sky walks, and that's why streets are deserted, but the sky walks were deserted, as well. I was shocked, to say the least. There is a problem with crime in downtown Minneapolis, and that has attributed to less people on the streets, I believe. Google it, there are articles.
LOL! Downtown Minneapolis is on another level when compared to the likes of Milwaukee, St Louis, Cleveland, Grand Rapids, Columbus, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Kansas City

Quote:
There's an article in the Star Tribune, about serious crime downtown spiking 70%. Not good.

Here's one article of many: https://alphanewsmn.com/downtown-min...lying-in-wait/
Yet more companies and people are moving downtown Minneapolis and there are more attractions than ever.

Last edited by YIMBY; 05-19-2020 at 11:26 PM..

Old 05-20-2020, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YIMBY View Post
LOL! Downtown Minneapolis is on another level when compared to the likes of Milwaukee, St Louis, Cleveland, Grand Rapids, Columbus, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Kansas City

Yet more companies and people are moving downtown Minneapolis and there are more attractions than ever.
I've lived in Milwaukee, and been to downtown Minneapolis (numerous times). I see, in downtown Minneapolis, streets that are barren of people....try to convince someone other than me, as I said, I've been there. (Oh, and Google downtown Minneapolis crime). BTW, the barren streets I speak of, were before the crime increase. I can't imagine how it is, now.

Last edited by Enean; 05-20-2020 at 05:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City