Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2020, 09:09 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times

Advertisements

It is interesting to see how both cities have been impacted over the years. The cities could not be more different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2020, 10:30 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Personally as a black guy, I don't have a positive opinion about Memphis even though it has a rich African American history. Definitely choose the booming Nashville in this instance even if Memphis is more black. Memphis from when I visited as a child in the 2000s was just depressing.

EDIT: I will say though that Memphis will always have a special place in my family's heart. It was the city that saved my father from complete financial ruin during the recession in 2009. He couldn't find a job in the auto industry to save his life here in Atlanta and he was getting desperate. He eventually found a job in Memphis and lived in my mother's relatives for a year while he got back on his feet. Tough times not being able to see my dad, but he had to do what he had to do in order to take care of his family.

Old 05-24-2020, 05:01 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,474,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Neither for "African American Urban Living."
This is not true and you couldn't haven't been to either city..I think they both do but in different ways as far as Black American Urban living. As many have stated earlier, Memphis is majority black while Nashville is more diverse as a city as a whole..Memphis has more of that hood element but Nashville has a pretty hood edge in spots as well. IMO i think Nashville is a better choice as far as a professional black stand point but both seem to have a number of black owned business. HBCU's seem to go to Nashville as others have stated. It's kinda hard for me to call this one because both cities are different but i would choose Nashville to live being a Black male but i enjoy the black experience visiting Memphis and i love the BBQ. Just don't feel as safe there.

Old 05-24-2020, 07:12 PM

2,653 posts, read 2,093,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
This is not true and you couldn't haven't been to either city..I think they both do but in different ways as far as Black American Urban living. As many have stated earlier, Memphis is majority black while Nashville is more diverse as a city as a whole..Memphis has more of that hood element but Nashville has a pretty hood edge in spots as well. IMO i think Nashville is a better choice as far as a professional black stand point but both seem to have a number of black owned business. HBCU's seem to go to Nashville as others have stated. It's kinda hard for me to call this one because both cities are different but i would choose Nashville to live being a Black male but i enjoy the black experience visiting Memphis and i love the BBQ. Just don't feel as safe there.
I think i have my gripes when people express the hood element of Memphis. It's not a whole swathes of the city is hood. I think majority Black cities & lesser degree towns just going have that unsavory reputation.

Old 05-24-2020, 08:11 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,291 times
Quote:
As a Black Male how do you feel about Nashville's Music Scene if you lived in Nashville? Would you Feel apart of/Embrace it, Shy away from it, or be indifferent towards it

Old 05-25-2020, 06:42 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,474,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
As a Black Male how do you feel about Nashville's Music Scene if you lived in Nashville? Would you Feel apart of/Embrace it, Shy away from it, or be indifferent towards it
Actually i Embrace it, I Embrace it when I visit the city now, which is a lot and I'm not a lover of Country music..I love the culture of Music city..I'm more of a old school r&b guy, hip hop and etc. What most have to understand is that Nashville isn't all just country music and even when your down on the Disney world stip/ Touist trap of Broadway it's a mixture of every thing and every body down there just having fun.. You have honky tonks over here, rap playing over there on party buses, rap and entainment on this corner, a little blues over there.. It a good fun diverse mix of everybody, Whites, Blacks, Hispanics, Middle easterners, just every one having fun together,, not really thinking about the music type.. When it comes to the other parts of the city it a good mix all over the city.. I also like the fact that a black artists like Jill Scott has chosen the city as a place to live as well, that speaks volumes. I would say if I do move there I would treat Broadway like I treat any tourist trap and us locals tend to treat tourist traps.. We stay far away until family and friends come to town,, lol...

Old 05-25-2020, 07:14 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,514,297 times
Nashville also has a thriving black gospel music scene with stars like Bobby Jones living there. And don't forget about jazz either.

Old 05-26-2020, 12:30 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Neither for "African American Urban Living."
We finally agree but if I had to choose,I it would be hard.Its a toss up. What I do know Blacks up until at least 2017,were leaving Nashville by a significant margin.Im not sure what it is now but that would give me pause yto think.
Im not saying Nashville is a bad place for blacks,I dont think that at all but I cant say with certainty that its the best either compared to Memphis overall despite Memphis having more crime and poverty.
Memphis is still owing and is currently on the upswing so who knows

Old 05-26-2020, 12:36 PM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,892 times
Quote:
You cant tell somebody what they are wrong about what they consider is urban in a city like Nashville that is a Sunbelt city.especially if he is from a city like Chicago,Miami,NYC,or even LA,etc

Old 09-07-2020, 11:31 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
The National Museum of African American Music opens this fall.

https://nmaam.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City