Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these areas would you prefer to spend your summers in?
Southern / Coastal Oregon (Medford, Brookings, Roseburg, etc.) 10 18.52%
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho Area (including nearby WA and MT) 6 11.11%
Traverse City, Michigan 9 16.67%
Coastal Maine (Portland, Kennebunkport, Acadia NP, Bar Harbor, etc.) 29 53.70%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 08:50 AM

223 posts, read 316,871 times

Advertisements

I'll leave this open to subjectivity. Which of these areas would you rather spend your summers in and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 09:32 AM

13,833 posts, read 8,104,414 times
Traverse City.

I love northern Michigan. I like that it's wooded. Lots of wild country nearby for camping, hiking, boating, canoeing, etc.

I'm sure Oregon and Idaho are great, I've just never been there and am not familiar with them.

I've been to New England in the summer, and it's beautiful; but the New England vibe is not something I care to be immersed in for months at a time.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:11 AM

5,017 posts, read 3,965,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Guy View Post
I'll leave this open to subjectivity. Which of these areas would you rather spend your summers in and why?
On one hand, Oregon is probably the most beautiful of the bunch. But, for me, I'd be far more interested in hopping around the towns along the Maine Coast... Great scenery, very nice little downtown areas, cliffs, sandy beaches, rock beaches.

Add to it Portland, ME. Great little city.. Charming, great food, cool nautical culture, historic roots. And, for those that have never been, Acadia gives any area of this country a run for it's money when it comes to natural beauty. Right out of picture book.

Traverse City is really pretty, have spent a lot of time there. Just not as interesting of an area as compared to Maine/Oregon. Coastal Michigan towns are nice enough, but Oregon and Maine are in a different league.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:43 PM

7,780 posts, read 10,214,178 times
I'll take all of them, thanks.

Seriously though, I have been dreaming/planning on doing a summer in Maine some year so it's at the top of the list by default. I have a hint of what traverse city might be like, having spent some time (though brief) in Detroit and the western lake towns last summer. But Oregon and Idaho? Totally foreign to me.

Ultimately, I'll stick with what I know in Maine, since I've been wanting to go back ever since I first visited several summers ago.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:51 PM

12,241 posts, read 8,172,621 times
Coastal Maine and it isnt even close. Theres nothing like a summer in New England/Upstate NY.

Old 05-21-2020, 04:30 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,512,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Coastal Maine and it isnt even close. Theres nothing like a summer in New England/Upstate NY.
Eh, PNW has some say in that as well. Pretty nice area in the summer similar to New England.

I'd love to go out to those areas in Oregon one of these days.

Old 05-21-2020, 05:16 PM

6,443 posts, read 5,104,927 times
Traverse City sounds really relaxing.

I haven't actually seen much of Michigan. A lot of Chicagoans travel up there and to Wisconsin frequently, but my parents always wanted to get out of the Midwest so we'd take our summer trips to the coasts or the Mountain West. The only Great Lakes shorelines I've seen are in Chicagoland, Milwaukee, and the Indiana Dunes.

Old 05-21-2020, 05:41 PM

10,123 posts, read 10,038,505 times
Idaho. I can go star gazing at night without the light pollution.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:44 PM

223 posts, read 316,871 times
I wish I knew more about what it’s like out west. Coeur d’Alene area has Glacier National Park nearby, and I’m sure the Oregon coast is beautiful in the summer, but I can’t say I know how it feels to be there. I know how it feels to be on the Great Lakes in the summer and it can be wonderful. As lovely of a slice of Americana as a quaint town on a Great Lake is in the summer, I’m sure it doesn’t pack the same punch as a place out west or on one of the coasts.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:19 PM

56 posts, read 57,078 times
I will never get tired of the Oregon Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City