Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the outdoors crown jewel of the Midwest?
Michigan 98 74.81%
Minnesota 16 12.21%
Wisconsin 14 10.69%
Another Midwest State (specify below) 3 2.29%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 03:14 PM

8,334 posts, read 5,492,671 times

Advertisements

Wisconsin for me. I love that state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 08:43 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,089,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Here's a nice video of Minnesota's "mountains" along Lake Superior.

https://youtu.be/0ISdDHpkSfM
My boyfriend and I encountered a wolf and a moose while snowshoeing to the top of Mount Josephine a couple of winters ago. Incredible view from the summit - you can see all the way to Isle Royale.

Old 05-27-2021, 11:42 AM

1,351 posts, read 894,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I've only been in the southern parts of Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin and I didn't think they looked all that much different than Central Indiana except they are woodsier and the skies are generally greyer. I don't believe the Central and Northern parts of those 3 states are mountainous or even very hilly. That's why I think the Ozarks in Southern Missouri or the Appalachians in Southeast Ohio are probably the most scenic parts - or the "outdoor crown jewels", if you will - of the Midwest.
I think pretty much anywhere in Minnesota, except maybe the Arrowhead, gets more sun than Indiana.

Those dead cold days of winter are generally clear blue skies.

Old 05-27-2021, 12:37 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Wisconsin has more Lake Superior shoreline than does Minnesota, along with an entire eastern border that is Lake Michigan. Just sayin'. I love Bayfield and Door County, for northern WI. And, then, the Driftless Region is kind of stunning, as well. Anyway, WI, after Michigan, for me. A little too much "plains" in MN, for my liking.
I prefer Vilas County, the most lakes of any county in the state, and more elevation so the snow stays around longer than anywhere else during "average" winters which aren't what they used to be.

Old 05-27-2021, 12:50 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I prefer Vilas County, the most lakes of any county in the state, and more elevation so the snow stays around longer than anywhere else during "average" winters which aren't what they used to be.
Vilas county is also amazing....I especially love Crystal Lake - best lake for swimming.

Old 05-27-2021, 12:52 PM

9,977 posts, read 5,677,344 times
^^ Once you're that far north you might as well cross over the border into the UP. For some reason comparable land is a lot cheaper up there, maybe because it's just a bit further than Chicago/Milwaukee weekenders are willing to drive.

Old 05-27-2021, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
^^ Once you're that far north you might as well cross over the border into the UP. For some reason comparable land is a lot cheaper up there, maybe because it's just a bit further than Chicago/Milwaukee weekenders are willing to drive.
I like the UP, but it's a more depressed area, overall. Very beautiful, though. People from Chicago and Milwaukee don't usually go a lot farther north than Eagle River...Minocqua is more popular, though. If they want to enjoy a Great Lake outside of Chicago, Wisconsin offers an entire coast of Lake Michigan...plenty of lovely areas there to vacation. Milwaukee is getting to be a destination for week-ends, and Sheboygan is becoming popular, as well. Only a little over an hour to Milwaukee, and another 45 minutes up to Sheboygan.

As far as Michigan, a lot of people from Chicago go over to Michigan, but not the UP...

Of course, Lake Geneva in southern Wisconsin, has always been a destination. Week-ends there, you'll find mostly Chicagoans.

Old 05-27-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
The areas north of there in the UP actually have next to zero economy and are severely economically depressed. The difference between Vilas County, WI and Gogebic County, MI is quite extreme for most metrics. Also, very rural areas of the UP don't have quite the broadband connectivity, compared to northern Wisconsin. I know Boulder Junction, a town of less than 300-400 people in Vilas County just invested in broadband internet for the entire town, even areas deep in the woods. Property values are higher there, so I'm sure they will be getting a few more remote workers.

Old 05-27-2021, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Vilas county is also amazing....I especially love Crystal Lake - best lake for swimming.
I am a big fan of the fairly new WinMan trails in Winchester, WI, world class in design:

https://www.winmantrails.com/

Lakes that I like there are Star Lake and North Twin Lake. Lac Vieux Desert is excellent, an over 4,000 acre lake. Also, Van Vliet Hemlocks is a very nice trail in Presque Isle that is a favorite of mine.

Old 05-27-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I am a big fan of the fairly new WinMan trails in Winchester, WI, world class in design:

https://www.winmantrails.com/

Lakes that I like there are Star Lake and North Twin Lake. Lac Vieux Desert is excellent, an over 4,000 acre lake. Also, Van Vliet Hemlocks is a very nice trail in Presque Isle that is a favorite of mine.
Interesting....maybe one of these days I'll make my way up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City