Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the outdoors crown jewel of the Midwest?
Michigan 98 74.81%
Minnesota 16 12.21%
Wisconsin 14 10.69%
Another Midwest State (specify below) 3 2.29%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 05:56 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Interesting....maybe one of these days I'll make my way up there.
Yeah, it's definitely worth the trip, lots of other trails nearby in fairly close proximity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2021, 08:45 PM

828 posts, read 647,741 times
Minnesota has the nicest individual area of the 3 in terms of the Northwoods, but it's also the smallest and Minnesota has a lot of really boring areas outdoors-wise. I'd probably give it to Michigan mostly cuz of the UP, but I can make a strong argument for Wisconsin too. Minnesota not in the same ballpark on the whole as either WI/MI outdoors-wise, and is most similar to Missouri in terms of quality of outdoors stuff.

Old 06-08-2021, 01:58 PM

542 posts, read 1,106,763 times
We're having a family b-day get together, for my uncle's 75th this summer. We'll be flying into Minneapolis, and spending one day around the Twin Cities, before heading to Hayward, Wisconsin for the week. This thread has been a great place for showing us some cool things to go see. I've only been to the Eastern side of Wisc., from Chicago, Milwaukee, to Green Bay. We're still looking for ideas around Lake Superior, and the Duluth area. Is Eau Claire worth a stop? Any advice would be great. TIA

Old 06-20-2021, 11:07 AM

162 posts, read 155,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
Minnesota not in the same ballpark on the whole as either WI/MI outdoors-wise, and is most similar to Missouri in terms of quality of outdoors stuff.
Missouri? Based on what factors? The majority of the outdoor stuff in MN is centered on lake activities and winter activities. I have found Wisconsin and Michigan to offer the very similar outdoors scenes to MN, and am pretty the Missouri outdoor scene is not very comparable...

Old 06-21-2021, 05:45 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
According to Google, here are the Top 10 natural sites in each state:

MICHIGAN
  • Arch Rock (8)
  • Isle Royale National Park (3)
  • Keweenaw Peninsula (10)
  • Kitch-iti-kipi (9)
  • Ludington State Park Beach (6)
  • Mackinac Island (1)
  • Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore (2)
  • Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore (4)
  • Tahquamenon Falls and State Park (5)
  • Warren Dunes State Park (7)

A majority are in UP, not surprisingly. Not included above are also Michigan's many Lake Michigan beach towns like Saugatuck.

MINNESOTA
  • Boundary Waters Canoe Area (4)
  • Gooseberry Falls State Park (3)
  • Itasca State Park (5)
  • Minneapolis, Lake Harriet (9)
  • Minneapolis, Minnehaha Falls (1)
  • Split Rock Lighthouse (6)
  • Superior Hiking Trail (10)
  • Superior National Forest (8)
  • Tettegouche State Park (7)
  • Voyageurs National Park (2)

WISCONSIN
  • Apostle Islands National Lakeshore (3)
  • Big Bay State Park (10)
  • Cascade Mountain (9)
  • Cave of the Mounds (5)
  • Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest (7)
  • Copper Falls State Park (8)
  • Devil's Lake State Park (1)
  • Door County/Peninsula State Park (2)
  • Ice Age Trail (6)
  • Taliesin and Iowa County (4)

With this, I'd rank them:
(1) Michigan
(2) Minnesota
(3) Wisconsin
Just out of curiosity, how did you find these ordered rankings for the state through Google?

Old 06-21-2021, 07:00 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
With the current heat wave, it seems like Minnesota is getting hotter temperatures more frequently in excess of 90F. Far northern WI and the western UP don't generally see above 90F for even the hottest periods. Low temperature tomorrow night in Vilas County, WI is 37F with some scattered frost possible by Eagle River.

Old 06-25-2021, 01:49 AM

2,868 posts, read 2,815,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Just out of curiosity, how did you find these ordered rankings for the state through Google?
Google Travel and then typed in the state. It comes up with a listing of Top 100 Things to Do (of which I ignored all the non-natural ones). It's an algorithm so does fluctuate slightly. From a quick glance, Voyageurs National Park is now #1 in Minnesota, and the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness is #2 (versus being #2 and #4, respectively, last time).

Old 06-25-2021, 01:20 PM

23,520 posts, read 24,000,129 times
Michigan

Old 07-08-2023, 01:21 PM

211 posts, read 119,415 times
This is sort of cheating. But I’m going to give the nod to Minnesota because the twin cities are very close to both Duluth and the Superior shore and the Driftless in Wisconsin.

The sawtooth mountains offer a similar experience to the porkies.

Duluth offers a generally similar experience to Marquette.

And the driftless of Wisconsin are right there.

The only thing that’s missing are Michigans spectacular dunes and the excellent beaches of traverse city and the eastern side of Lake Michigan.

So Minnesota has to take it by having a combo of what the UP has to offer and some of Wisconsin’s best offerings in close proximity to major cities.

Old 07-08-2023, 01:36 PM

1,348 posts, read 878,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestCoast714 View Post
This is sort of cheating. But I’m going to give the nod to Minnesota because the twin cities are very close to both Duluth and the Superior shore and the Driftless in Wisconsin.

The sawtooth mountains offer a similar experience to the porkies.

Duluth offers a generally similar experience to Marquette.

And the driftless of Wisconsin are right there.

The only thing that’s missing are Michigans spectacular dunes and the excellent beaches of traverse city and the eastern side of Lake Michigan.

So Minnesota has to take it by having a combo of what the UP has to offer and some of Wisconsin’s best offerings in close proximity to major cities.
Minnesota has the most inland lakes and the driftless is just southeast of the Twin Cities Metro. The Inland lakes in Northern Minnesota are beautiful. There are landscapes in Minnesota you won't find in Michigan or Wisconsin like
Blue Mounds State Park

Last edited by Kaszilla; 07-08-2023 at 02:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City