Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2020, 02:22 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,246,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
They don't need to be officers of the law in the first place if they think they can participate in unjustified killings of citizens without consequences.
So you’re gonna just assume every cop is itching to kill with impunity? Fine. Defund them, get rid of them all, and deal with the consequences. I’ve known a lot of bad cops in my life but I would never say they all have to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2020, 02:53 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,833,367 times
I don't think the call for refunding it's add being assumed on here.
I don't think any of these politicians are calling for anarchy.

The example of refunding usually given is the example of Camden where the local police was refunded and replaced with a new system created that day that merges the county.

Don't listen to sound bites from either side of government. Most of these things are to distract from the issue by stoking fear. Don't be scared of something without hearing about what it will be replaced with.

People are often scared of change but sometimes it's for the best.
There's nothing more important than someones life. Police departments add they operate currently are a detriment to someand protector to others. If it's not protecting everyone then it needs to be replaced with something that does.

But to each and everyone of you who are very flippant with the issue, what if it was you, or your brothers or sisters that were being killed on these streets? Wouldn't you want a better system?

Old 06-15-2020, 07:56 AM

37,904 posts, read 42,096,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
So you’re gonna just assume every cop is itching to kill with impunity? Fine. Defund them, get rid of them all, and deal with the consequences. I’ve known a lot of bad cops in my life but I would never say they all have to go.
No, every cop isn't itching to kill with impunity, but most of the ones that aren't tend to be like the three others at the scene of Floyd's murder who were just as complicit.

Old 06-15-2020, 07:59 AM

37,904 posts, read 42,096,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
100x this
Don't think people who think they are entitled to ending someone's life simply because they have the authority of the badge shouldn't be wearing a badge.
At all.

Old 07-13-2020, 11:00 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,551,078 times
There's a higher chance than most on this thread seem to think that Minneapolis will go down the same roads as St. Louis and Baltimore. No matter where you stand on any of these issues, when there's so much emotional flailing about and loss of objectivity that you're even remotely considering literally dismantling the police department, that Minneapolis will start swirling down the toilet is a very strong possibility. It's simple common sense. That's a foolish hill many are willing to die on. Again, objectivity. Good citizens will tire of the turmoil and extreme politics at some point. But for now, it's wait and see time. If those in Minneapolis are as open minded as they claim, they will have to make DRASTIC changes in their political and social belief systems to keep from becoming a St. Louis or Baltimore. We can't forget Portland and Seattle; once great cities now gripped with a heavy Antifa grip than probably will eventually seal their doom on many levels. I was around the in the 60's/70's. People were much more willing to learn from mistakes and failures than they are today.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:30 PM

21,753 posts, read 12,907,551 times
Is anyone even thinking about Minneapolis anymore- really?

Like i said in the beginning, itll be fine..

Old 07-13-2020, 02:48 PM

527 posts, read 321,157 times
Quote:
Those cities were already losing population before they had riots in 2014-15.

You don't know if they lost population, We won't know for sure until next year and that still doesn't mean that riots are the reason.

Old 07-13-2020, 04:36 PM

1,368 posts, read 897,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
There's a higher chance than most on this thread seem to think that Minneapolis will go down the same roads as St. Louis and Baltimore. No matter where you stand on any of these issues, when there's so much emotional flailing about and loss of objectivity that you're even remotely considering literally dismantling the police department, that Minneapolis will start swirling down the toilet is a very strong possibility. It's simple common sense. That's a foolish hill many are willing to die on. Again, objectivity. Good citizens will tire of the turmoil and extreme politics at some point. But for now, it's wait and see time. If those in Minneapolis are as open minded as they claim, they will have to make DRASTIC changes in their political and social belief systems to keep from becoming a St. Louis or Baltimore. We can't forget Portland and Seattle; once great cities now gripped with a heavy Antifa grip than probably will eventually seal their doom on many levels. I was around the in the 60's/70's. People were much more willing to learn from mistakes and failures than they are today.
You wish lol. I'm 100% positive Minneapolis will be fine.

Old 07-13-2020, 10:10 PM

9,704 posts, read 9,455,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickms View Post
You don't know if they lost population, We won't know for sure until next year and that still doesn't mean that riots are the reason.
https://www.stlmag.com/history/st-lo...y-1930-census/

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...76bb730da.html

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...1950/39557461/

Old 07-13-2020, 10:28 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,681,946 times
That's St. Louis city, which didn't have the riots that Ferguson did... which makes this thread's entire basis flawed when it comes to STL... St. Louis proper is experiencing black flight, not white flight, it's gaining in a lot of categories (whites, asians, adults with degrees, average salary, etc.) yet this thread suggests the opposite due to riots in a suburb... People are leaving the city for the suburbs because of very, very limited rioting in... the suburbs??? Citydata forum, all baseless sterotypes these a days, and you never seem to be able to make the cut above it do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City