Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 09:25 AM

6,904 posts, read 4,374,490 times

Advertisements

MSP is full of white social liberals who've run that place for a long time. It's an unlikely candidate for racial unrest given it's full of progressives, so you'd get the idea that the municipal authorities would have very progressive policies in place. The fact that nevertheless people across the world see news of Minneapolis having this situation is kinda curious.

In terms of it being effected? It's a long shout from Baltimore. In Baltimore the situation is one of urban blight which is the big problem really. The riots and all that seemed to just further reinforce the notion that Baltimore isn't a safe place to be for anyone but especially not well-to-do folks, but the notion already was there and had been for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2020, 09:52 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,920,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
There is a difference between protesters who want justice and those planted to be destructive.

Now White Supremacist groups are going to Minneapolis to turn this into a race riot. This is not only bad for Minneapolis it's bad for all of Americans.
No Antifa presence? LOL

Minneapolis will suffer consequences, definitely. I know a couple of people who plan to move out of the state, and are looking within their companies for transfers. If anyone thinks this rioting will not impact the future of businesses wanting to locate, or relocate, to the Twin cities, I think you're dreaming. It's not a good look, for the city, and I'm hopeful the city will put on some big boy pants tonight, to meet what is on the Antifa docket for tonight.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:58 AM

4,402 posts, read 4,672,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
No Antifa presence? LOL

Minneapolis will suffer consequences, definitely. I know a couple of people who plan to move out of the state, and are looking within their companies for transfers. If anyone thinks this rioting will not impact the future of businesses wanting to locate, or relocate, to the Twin cities, I think you're dreaming. It's not a good look, for the city, and I'm hopeful the city will put on some big boy pants tonight, to meet what is on the Antifa docket for tonight.
So where are they going to go? It's civil unrest all over the country. Rightfully so

Old 05-30-2020, 10:04 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,920,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
So where are they going to go? It's civil unrest all over the country. Rightfully so
It is, and the unrest is warranted, but not the burning of buildings and looting that's going on. This is expected in certain cities, as it's a part of their history, unfortunately. I know there has been rioting in the Twin Cities before, but nothing major enough for people to think of, when they are considering the TC for relocation. That has changed, as the city is front and center, right now. This, will be thought of, and not forgotten for a long, long time.

Old 05-30-2020, 10:07 AM

14,126 posts, read 15,183,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
It is, and the unrest is warranted, but not the burning of buildings and looting that's going on. This is expected in certain cities, as it's a part of their history, unfortunately. I know there has been rioting in the Twin Cities before, but nothing major enough for people to think of, when they are considering the TC for relocation. That has changed, as the city is front and center, right now. This, will be thought of, and not forgotten for a long, long time.
54 people were killed in the LA riots and the city recovered. Underlying economic conditions determine basically everything. Same with Cincinnati in 2001. It is now one of the strongest non state capital economies in the whole midwest

Other than the area that’s torched they city will likely recover quickly.

Last edited by btownboss4; 05-30-2020 at 10:15 AM..

Old 05-30-2020, 10:59 AM

9,742 posts, read 9,537,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
54 people were killed in the LA riots and the city recovered. Underlying economic conditions determine basically everything. Same with Cincinnati in 2001. It is now one of the strongest non state capital economies in the whole midwest

But did those cities systemically change or just recover?

Old 05-30-2020, 11:30 AM

7,748 posts, read 6,540,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

I am hoping those areas recover too. Even the area I work in was hit, now. Very sad.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:42 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,215,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I assume not as badly. Those cities were already losing population before they had riots in 2014-15. They also have much higher black populations which likely contributes to white flight.
We'll have to wait and see. Minneapolis is already sparking nationwide protests, something I was not expecting. With the protests in years past they were usually centered in cities where an event involving police brutality took place.

After Ferguson St. Louis proper did see protests, but almost everything you saw involving burning buildings was taking place in Ferguson and not St. Louis.

Additionally, Ferguson today isn't a war zone. Demographically St. Louis proper is actually seeing a declining black population, not white flight, and with the 2020 Census there's a significant chance that it will come back that white people have become the largest racial group in the city due to that flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I completely agree with these; but did St. Louis proper actually have bad riots??? I know Ferguson did, but did St. Louis?

Baltimore definitely had riots; about 1 week long, all the way from the heart of downtown to the neighborhoods.

Personally, I put Baltimore in a different (worse) level than St. Louis, since I think Ferguson was more affected than St. Louis proper.
There were protests in the city, but Ferguson bore the brunt of what made the national news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Person View Post
Why are people acting like Ferguson and St louis are soooooo far apart? Chicago's west side is just as far from downtown as Ferguson is. It had riots in 68
The difference is that the West Side is still a part of Chicago whereas Ferguson is not a part of St. Louis. It's not a distance issue rather than a destination issue. Many in metro St. Louis haven't even been there unless they lived there or knew someone who lived there.

This also meant that different police departments and court systems were involved in the process rather than the city's.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:55 AM

7,108 posts, read 9,035,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerseusVeil View Post
We'll have to wait and see. Minneapolis is already sparking nationwide protests, something I was not expecting. With the protests in years past they were usually centered in cities where an event involving police brutality took place.

After Ferguson St. Louis proper did see protests, but almost everything you saw involving burning buildings was taking place in Ferguson and not St. Louis.

Additionally, Ferguson today isn't a war zone. Demographically St. Louis proper is actually seeing a declining black population, not white flight, and with the 2020 Census there's a significant chance that it will come back that white people have become the largest racial group in the city due to that flight.

There were protests in the city, but Ferguson bore the brunt of what made the national news.

The difference is that the West Side is still a part of Chicago whereas Ferguson is not a part of St. Louis. It's not a distance issue rather than a destination issue. Many in metro St. Louis haven't even been there unless they lived there or knew someone who lived there.

This also meant that different police departments and court systems were involved in the process rather than the city's.
Even Ferguson itself isn't doing too bad. Its still working class and no there are no gangs and it's not an over all dangerous place.

Old 05-30-2020, 02:44 PM

14,376 posts, read 9,279,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
I mean the Boston Tea Party, Revolutionary War, and Civil War weren't so friendly. Sometimes people have enough and revolution's aren't always so peaceful. Destruction unfortunately gets attention when all fails.
A friend of mine trotted out one of Martin Luther King's less-well-known quotes in the course of a discussion on the riots in which someone else criticized the rioters unequivocally:

"A riot is the language of the unheard."

He said this in a 1967 speech at Stanford University on the "Other America." Here's the context in which it rested:

Quote:
Certain conditions continue to exist in our society, which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality and humanity. And so in a real sense our nation’s summers of riots are caused by our nation’s winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again. Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention.
'A riot is the language of the unheard': MLK's powerful quote resonates amid George Floyd protests | USA Today

Dr. King could probably say the same thing today with just minor modifications. Yes, much progress has been made, and African-Americans are in better shape overall today than they were in 1967, but some promises made then have not been kept, and being treated as equals by the cops is one promise that has most emphatically not been kept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City