Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2020, 06:58 PM

4,343 posts, read 2,865,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
MSP is full of white social liberals who've run that place for a long time. It's an unlikely candidate for racial unrest given it's full of progressives, so you'd get the idea that the municipal authorities would have very progressive policies in place. The fact that nevertheless people across the world see news of Minneapolis having this situation is kinda curious.
An unlikely candidate for racial unrest?
Any city that systematically zoned black residents out of areas of town for decades sends like the perfect candidate for race tires to me.

In this article it shows how the spread of blacks into neighborhoods were halted by covenants restricting sale of property to Blacks: https://apple.news/AmRGXd8fSTMqry81Fhrh3TA

It shows that the city was segregated by design, and the cops behaved in a protective manner in the whiter areas and behaved in a more oppressive manner in the blacker areas.

Racism created these situations and Minneapolis it's no different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2020, 08:02 PM

14,375 posts, read 9,279,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Any city that systematically zoned black residents out of areas of town for decades sends like the perfect candidate for race tires to me.

In this article it shows how the spread of blacks into neighborhoods were halted by covenants restricting sale of property to Blacks: https://apple.news/AmRGXd8fSTMqry81Fhrh3TA

It shows that the city was segregated by design, and the cops behaved in a protective manner in the whiter areas and behaved in a more oppressive manner in the blacker areas.

However, this is a better-than-normal example of what "institutional racism" means, for here, the real estate industry in Minneapolis/St. Paul was simply following the norms established by the industry trade group, the National Association of Real Estate Boards (now National Association of Realtors), which began to promote covenants after the Supreme Court struck down legal American apartheid in Buchanan v. Warley.

And thus we have racism without racists.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:00 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,991,548 times
Quote:

I can see why you would think that Minneapolis was especially bad from the article, but a little context is helpful. EVERY non- Jim Crow American city had private racial deed restrictions in the first half of the 1900's

There were two types of racial segregation in the early 1900's. In the Jim Crow South you had legal restrictions on where non-white people could live. Those lasted until the Civil Rights Movement in the late 1960's. In the rest of the country, including Minneapolis, developers put voluntary deed restrictions on properties that they built that restricted ownership to white people. So, it was sort of the private equivalent of Jim Crow. Those restrictions were eliminated by a Supreme Court decision in 1948.

Now here is where the context comes in. In Minneapolis, it was about 5% of residential properies that had racial deed restrictions until they were eliminated in 1948. We know a lot more about deed restrictions in Minneapolis than most cities, because there is a professor at the University of Minnesota that studied it pretty thoroughly. If you look at the map of the city in this article from Jan, you can see how tiny of a portion of the city had covenants:

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2020/...judice/604105/

I think you'd be hard pressed to find another US city from this time that had such a low percentage, likely because Minneapolis didn't have a large presence of non-white people. Having non-white neighbors probably wasn't something that people worried about as much as in more diverse cities, because it was unlikely to begin with. The wealthy areas in the SW part of the city have almost no deed restrictions. It looks like it was mostly lower middle class areas in South Minneapolis that had them, likely because those were areas that non-white people could afford to buy homes.

By comparison, almost every home I looked at in LA built between 1918 and 1948 had had deed restrictions. I would be surprised if Detroit, Milwaukee, Chicago, Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh didn't have sharply higher rates of deed restrictions than Minneapolis.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:11 PM

4,343 posts, read 2,865,426 times
My point is: America has a race problem and Minneapolis is no exception. You have to read the quoted post for context.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:23 PM

2,312 posts, read 1,740,537 times
No. Minneapolis is a majority white, “progressive†(note the quotations), wealthier city - it’s a totally different dynamic than Baltimore and St. Louis, which are majority-black, more economically depressed, and have much higher crime rates.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:38 PM

10,132 posts, read 10,056,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
The riots did last "almost a week," Maybe even a little longer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_B...4:_Riots_begin
I live here, and was standing right there when the initial riot kicked off that Saturday. I do not need Wikipedia to tell me what I saw for myself.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:46 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,194,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Nowhere near to the degree as Baltimore or St. Louis (Ferguson). Those two cities are demographically worlds apart that had inherent problems that MSP lacked during its riots.
Minneapolis has some of the worst racial wealth inequality in the country. Contrary to popular belief. St. Louis and Baltimore metros have way more middle class black people than Twin Cities, despite having way bigger ghettos obviously.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...al-inequality/

Old 05-30-2020, 10:25 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,991,548 times
Quote:
My point is: America has a race problem and Minneapolis is no exception. You have to read the quoted post for context.
I read the post before I replied. While I agree with what you say your point is, I don't think that was the point of the article you linked to, and I disagree with the author that Minneapolis was in anyway special in this regard. While Ms. Delegard did amazing research on racial deed restrictions, her quote in your article that the areas with deed restrictions are the whitest areas in Minneapolis today is simply not true. Southwest Minneapolis, where there were almost no racial deed restrictions, is the Whitest neighborhoods in the city.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:58 AM

1,897 posts, read 1,464,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by providence623 View Post
It's not the pre-internet world, in those days a city riot would cause the city lose its economy just because violence would spark people to move out and companies to leave after.

Almost all of the economy is now digitalized and monitored from anywhere on this world.

Minneapolis has a good concentration of wealth.

Baltimore and Saint Louis are dying cities because there are no jobs, the economy has moved to other places. There is really nothing that makes people want to go to Detroit, or Cleveland, or Baltimore.
Here we go again! The dissing and dismissing of the "Rust Belt" region from someone the Coasts.

Old 05-31-2020, 05:05 AM

2,881 posts, read 2,343,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Minneapolis has some of the worst racial wealth inequality in the country. Contrary to popular belief. St. Louis and Baltimore metros have way more middle class black people than Twin Cities, despite having way bigger ghettos obviously.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...al-inequality/
Genuinely curious how, if at all, the role of the Somali community impacts these numbers? My very uninformed sense is that STL and Baltimore have long-standing "African-American" populations while Minneapolis's "black" population is more heavily composed of 1st/2nd gen populations from Africa?

Given the gap looks to be driven by higher than average white household incomes with fairly average black incomes, maybe the Somali community just nets out to be on par with typical AA household? Recently arrived maybe poorer than median AA, but large upward mobility typically seen among immigrant groups across time puts it on par?

Last edited by jpdivola; 05-31-2020 at 05:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City