Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 06:11 PM

68 posts, read 57,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Nope...Michigan doesn't get Milwaukee...we like it here in WI.
Could we trade you holland...it has potential
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 06:36 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshorestateofmind92 View Post
I could be wrong but Milwaukee's may be quite a bit less sturdier. More bigger buildings more weight. Who knows the swaying technique for the Willis Tower worked for standing against weather elements. Maybe they can figure something out for Milwaukee. Heres a nice little article.
https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2014/03/1...-sinking-city/
If this was true, why would Northwestern Mutual build it's new (tall) world headquarters in downtown Milwaukee within the last couple of years? I'm guessing, they "figured it out."

Old 06-11-2020, 10:34 PM

613 posts, read 327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshorestateofmind92 View Post
Some of yall equations are getting too long.
2 or 3 cities please. Its suppose to be somewhat challenging...lol
I know, it's just I think that any decent sized southern upper midwest city like Milwaukee, a midland city like St. Louis and the big city status of New York and you put it in a blender, it ends up like Chicago.

Old 06-12-2020, 06:20 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelph73 View Post
I know, it's just I think that any decent sized southern upper midwest city like Milwaukee, a midland city like St. Louis and the big city status of New York and you put it in a blender, it ends up like Chicago.
Not sure where you're getting "southern". Milwaukee is not southern.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:25 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Not sure where you're getting "southern". Milwaukee is not southern.
He's saying "southern upper-Midwest", which is technically true, although a little strange..

Old 06-12-2020, 12:56 PM

613 posts, read 327,931 times
Yep that's what I meant, the Southern part of the Upper Midwest.

Old 06-12-2020, 01:35 PM

636 posts, read 611,906 times
Milwaukee, Detroit, and Toronto. NY is too different from Chicago to be included imo.

Old 06-12-2020, 01:43 PM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Milwaukee, Detroit, and Toronto. NY is too different from Chicago to be included imo.
Chicago is like a smaller NY with a midwest twist. If you combine NY + Detroit + Toronto, you get a good idea of what Chicago is.

Old 06-12-2020, 02:00 PM

636 posts, read 611,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Chicago is like a smaller NY with a midwest twist. If you combine NY + Detroit + Toronto, you get a good idea of what Chicago is.
Not really, they're very different if you've spent time in both. Maybe River North because of the high-rises but even then still very different to me.

Old 06-12-2020, 03:11 PM

1,803 posts, read 935,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Not really, they're very different if you've spent time in both. Maybe River North because of the high-rises but even then still very different to me.
No city has the tenement blocks of especially Manhattan and into other Boroughs. But Chicago using old warehousing from River North to the West Look and re-purposing to Loft living. Actually superior to tenement as they are self-contained units and more likely soundproof with high ceilings and balconies. Add the highrises added it gave density and totally new interiors.

In the level Chicago has around and in the core. Few cities match them. A city of skyscrapers is needed to include in the mix. So Toronto may fit best being even a Great Lakes shoreline city, but it has less of the older skyscrapers.

No city matches Chicago in how its street-grid is uniformly spread with full alleyways across 90% of the city. Also the fronts free from ugly powerlines and poles because they run thru the alleyways in back. So hard to match street-grid there to. No city has the Chicago style Craftsman Bungalow belt built 20s 30s brick homes that grew to be 1/3 the city still today. Though LA had its own Bungalow-belt the same era with its Arts and Crafts era bungalows. But LA's were not brick and the large porches. No city had the Greystone varieties of a past era. Two-three flat neighborhoods that are like a 1/4 of the city and its creation of the front open court-yard apt building. I did see them all the way south in like Burmingham AL though.
Other Midwest cities did adapt some to their own versions of say bungalows, that may still be similar like Milwaukee.

Love me some mid-century bungalow-ranch styles too pretty unique too there. So no city will match a city that has its own styles and flair. Why combinations are used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City