Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 06:11 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Detroit + Philadelphia + Boston
Philly only by size, Boston only by geographic layout. Detroit and Milwaukee are much more like Chicago. Philly and Boston are much more like New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2020, 06:13 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
If Detroit and NYC had a baby, it would be Chicago.
Or if Milwaukee was inflated 4-5 times and added a ton of skyscrapers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
Chicago = NYC - 0.91(1+x³/3.01e6)(Philadelphia+Detroit)
where x is the number of years since 1850.
I just find it fascinating that NYC was reaaly close to falling into the 6 millions.

Last edited by KoNgFooCj; 06-12-2020 at 06:21 PM..

Old 06-12-2020, 08:00 PM

506 posts, read 476,983 times
Chicago = the square root of NYC x Detroit + Milwaukee squared

Old 06-12-2020, 08:05 PM

4,511 posts, read 5,051,906 times
Detroit, St. Louis, Baltimore.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:49 AM

68 posts, read 57,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
If this was true, why would Northwestern Mutual build it's new (tall) world headquarters in downtown Milwaukee within the last couple of years? I'm guessing, they "figured it out."
I apologize if I didn't fully articulate my perspective. I'm not saying they can't build any more buildings, there just may be some limits in height as to making their skyline taller. The northwestern mutual building (550 ft) may be towards the end of the height limit whereas in Chicago the comparable CNA Center ( 600 ft) is one of the more medium buildings.

Old 06-13-2020, 12:57 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
Not two cities, but I would say Chicago is a combination of NYC, Miami, Milwaukee, Toronto, Detroit and Philadelphia.

NYC = Downtown core/skyline, similar level of urbanity/urban offerings
Miami = long spanning beach from south side all the way to the north side, lined with tall apartment/condo buildings
Milwaukee = Layout; next to lake, and sprawling out N, W, and S, similar in many other ways
Toronto = Similar in scale/size, next to a great lake
Detroit = Industrial relevance
Philadelphia = Working class city, yet also with a white collar presence, and one that is obsessed with sports. Boston could also work

Old 06-13-2020, 05:11 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshorestateofmind92 View Post
I apologize if I didn't fully articulate my perspective. I'm not saying they can't build any more buildings, there just may be some limits in height as to making their skyline taller. The northwestern mutual building (550 ft) may be towards the end of the height limit whereas in Chicago the comparable CNA Center ( 600 ft) is one of the more medium buildings.
Milwaukee has a building at 600 feet. Not sure they will build anything taller than that....probably no need for many cities to build tall buildings, anymore. Covid-19 is changing the world...the way people interact, socialize, and work. I expect many, many more people to work from home, and attend meetings here and there. For meetings here an there, a business can rent a space, rather than a floor, in an office building. I'm expecting to see a lot of vacancies in cities with many, many skyscrapers.

Here's an article I just found that's interesting. It reminded me, that meetings don't have to be held in an office space...they can just easily be "virtual" meetings. Makes sense. I predict a dire commercial real estate market, as do those who know a whole lot more than I, about the real estate market.

Last edited by Enean; 06-13-2020 at 06:10 AM..

Old 06-16-2020, 05:10 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
Chicago seems to me a combination of:

- New York: for its downtown, skyscrapers, art deco, and global importance
- Toronto: for its building style, and climate
- Baltimore or St. Louis: for their rust-belt vibe, urban decay, and crime rates

Old 06-16-2020, 06:27 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Chicago seems to me a combination of:

- New York: for its downtown, skyscrapers, art deco, and global importance
- Toronto: for its building style, and climate
- Baltimore or St. Louis: for their rust-belt vibe, urban decay, and crime rates
Chicago doesn't have a lot of urban decay.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:04 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Chicago doesn't have a lot of urban decay.
Not now, but if people are really starting to flee Chicago as some suggest (especially on the South Side), it won't be long before it does.

Englewood in particular already looks like depopulated parts of Deteoit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City