Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 09:38 AM

1,803 posts, read 934,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Not now, but if people are really starting to flee Chicago as some suggest (especially on the South Side), it won't be long before it does.

Englewood in particular already looks like depopulated parts of Deteoit.
One thing Chicago did was rip down a lot more of its past Urban Decay then other cities. Many areas show empty grass lots with trees where homes once were. There are still some boarded up homes as they might have gotten condemned by the city, but if they get to a point of no repair. The city was still quick to take it and rip it down. Its hoods are generally with clean streets that get sweeping city services and lots left to be trashed are much more rare as the city will go after owners. Always a exception but far more then some other cities that get raps for Urban Decay.

I think most expect still loss of population from its Hoods and Especially its African-Americans there. Cities up North were already struggling to grow and most that have were very small totals. Some as Sanctuary Cities and high Latino amounts also had undocumented uncounted levels.

I read a link where Chicago's Hispanic population as 1/3 the city has as much as 20% as undocumented and therefore not going to be counted by census. Until the North and especially the Midwest has corporations stay or invest more there vs the Sunbelt? The growths will be stagnant to small.

Milwaukee was a growing city in the Midwest that now may have it effected for some time to come. Others never got to the growth level yet. I do believe in future decades these regions will see much more growth and more a shift from the Sunbelt. Time will tell. Changes in how the US grows and booms never cease to surprise as decades go by.

Detroit has just so many blocks of abandonment and burned out windowless SFH homes that no other city had that level and so much never leveled though completely abandoned. But as Chicago, Detroit was not a attached row-housing city in any large numbers. No city also has the level of a common street-grid with 90% of the city with alleyways behind every block as Chicago has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 09:51 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,360,257 times
Quote:
Not now, but if people are really starting to flee Chicago as some suggest (especially on the South Side), it won't be long before it does.

Englewood in particular already looks like depopulated parts of Deteoit.
Actually, despite its crime rate, Englewood has physically held up pretty well, and investors have come in and rehabbed alot of buildings and rented them Section 8. Chicago overall has an amazing lack of urban decay and graffiti, much less than most eastern cities. I see swipes at Chicago inferring differently, but having visited the southside several times in the past year, I cna honestly say it is physically in pretty good shape with some attractive housing. The west side is less kept up, but still not bad. NBC just did a piece on its news the other night highlighting the housing on the south side and the well kept, intact neighborhoods contained within it.

I would say Chicago is its own creature, but is a combination of NYC/Toronto, Boston/SF, and Cleveland/Detroit.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:28 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Actually, despite its crime rate, Englewood has physically held up pretty well, and investors have come in and rehabbed alot of buildings and rented them Section 8. Chicago overall has an amazing lack of urban decay and graffiti, much less than most eastern cities. I see swipes at Chicago inferring differently, but having visited the southside several times in the past year, I cna honestly say it is physically in pretty good shape with some attractive housing. The west side is less kept up, but still not bad. NBC just did a piece on its news the other night highlighting the housing on the south side and the well kept, intact neighborhoods contained within it.

I would say Chicago is its own creature, but is a combination of NYC/Toronto, Boston/SF, and Cleveland/Detroit.
Yes, people who don't know Chicago, just make assumptions, that has a lot of decay. They would be wrong.

Old 06-16-2020, 11:02 AM

636 posts, read 611,519 times
Quote:

One of the least believable things ever posted here.

Old 06-16-2020, 11:22 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:

The key part of my post was where I prefaced it by "not now." Urban decay is typically a lagging indicator.

We'll see what those areas are like a decade or two from now. There was one recent projection that stated Chicago could lose 1/2 million black people by 2030, between the high taxes and high crime rates driving them out.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:16 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,476,042 times
NYC+LA+Detroit

Let me be specific here in terms of LA.. It was added in terms of Suburban sprawl and movie scene.. Back in the 80's and 90's, tons of movies were made in Chicago suburbs that could have easily been made in LA burbs dealing with that suburban way of life...

Old 06-16-2020, 04:49 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,181,799 times
Chicago's southside is still very structurally dense in most areas, but I will say that Chicago easily has the largest ghetto by geographic size of any city I've ever been to and it's really no comparison. If you drive south on Halsted, it's literally 100 blocks of dis-invested neighborhoods. Chicago is just so massive that the economic and racial segregation is just so blatant, it really is a tale of two cities in a lot of regards.

Old 06-16-2020, 05:03 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,181,799 times
I would say Chicago feels like a mix of New York and Detroit in it's downtown and commercial areas. The residential gives me a feel of St. Louis meets Milwaukee, a lot of red and brown brick flats like St. Louis (Chicago also has a lot of apartment blocks that look eerily similar to apartment blocks in St. Louis) mixed in with the grey and cream colored brick and frame house feel of Milwaukee. General layout feels like a Detroit and Milwaukee had a baby, with the strong grid and lake presence.

Old 06-18-2020, 04:33 PM

40 posts, read 19,334 times
Quote:
If Detroit and NYC had a baby, it would be Chicago.
More like if Detroit and Philly had a baby....

Old 06-19-2020, 04:03 PM

613 posts, read 327,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coventry80 View Post
More like if Detroit and Philly had a baby....
Chicago is the capital of the Midwest, the big city in that region just like NY is for the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City