Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city/metro is more naturally beautiful?
Los Angeles 39 62.90%
San Diego 23 37.10%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 10:00 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
You're forgetting about South OC beaches. Lots of cliffs, canyons, and hills. The communities over there are developed in hills that are bigger than hills in San Diego.
No I'm not. That makes up a pretty small portion of the LA/OC coastline overall, hence the terms "pound for pound" and "per capita". You see oil derricks off the coast of LA and OC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2020, 10:52 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
That pound for pound or per capita access could actually be called immediacy/proximity, too. As in, this is what the view looks like from Embarcadero Marina Park:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Em...!1BCgIgARICCAI

The air pollution aspect deserves mentioning, too. Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
San Diego doesn't do GREAT there... but it does significantly better than Los Angeles, and that has an impact to many.

Not saying LA doesn't have more scenic diversity and resources overall... but I am saying that it's more competitive overall when taking into account those factors-those that aren't intimately familiar with those offerings in LA wouldn't even know they were there.

Last edited by Yac; 06-15-2020 at 07:41 AM..

Old 06-11-2020, 05:20 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,123,027 times
Quote:
You're forgetting about South OC beaches. Lots of cliffs, canyons, and hills. The communities over there are developed in hills that are bigger than hills in San Diego.
That is a microscopic portion of greater Los Angeles. Most residents of the LA region live in the basin or adjacent valleys. Flat, highly urbanized areas with little natural scenery. It's literally the complete opposite of San Diego is this regard.

Old 06-11-2020, 09:30 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,293,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post

Great shots, and I also voted for Los Angeles, but I fail to see how those photos illustrate a scenic advantage for Los Angeles over San Diego(with the exception of the skyscrapers). For millions of people living in the L.A. basin and north valley, man made/distant mountain view is the prevailing scenery.

IMO L.A. has more stunning sights, but there is a "scenery per capita" argument to be made for San Diego.

Old 06-12-2020, 04:48 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
That is a microscopic portion of greater Los Angeles. Most residents of the LA region live in the basin or adjacent valleys. Flat, highly urbanized areas with little natural scenery. It's literally the complete opposite of San Diego is this regard.
Maybe, but what I'm saying is that the most beautiful coastal beach regions of LA outshine the most beautiful coastal regions of San Diego, and you can't discount that.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:35 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,455,833 times
Quote:
Maybe, but what I'm saying is that the most beautiful coastal beach regions of LA outshine the most beautiful coastal regions of San Diego, and you can't discount that.
Hardly? The stretch from Dana Point to Laguna Beach is beautiful, probably one of the nicest in the country, but I think most without bias would say the stretch from La Jolla to Torrey Pines is a bit more impressive. For you to say it “outshines” only shows your bias. Another thing to consider is La Jolla/Torrey Pines is within the city limits of San Diego. You keep pointing to south OC for LA, but it’s a hike. It’s not much closer than it is from San Diego, and it’s usually quicker coming from San Diego because of traffic.

And your response of “maybe” to the previous poster that said most residents live in the LA basin or adjacent valleys isn’t maybe, its fact.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:42 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,547,418 times
This is correct...Mr J might have been better off referencing Malibu / Zuma (and its canyons) down to Pacific Palisades instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Hardly? The stretch from Dana Point to Laguna Beach is beautiful, probably one of the nicest in the country, but I think most without bias would say the stretch from La Jolla to Torrey Pines is a bit more impressive. For you to say it “outshines” only shows your bias. Another thing to consider is La Jolla/Torrey Pines is within the city limits of San Diego. You keep pointing to south OC for LA, but it’s a hike. It’s not much closer than it is from San Diego, and it’s usually quicker coming from San Diego because of traffic.

And your response of “maybe” to the previous poster that said most residents live in the LA basin or adjacent valleys isn’t maybe, its fact.

Old 06-12-2020, 10:41 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
The Laguna Beach to Dana Point stretch is pretty comparable to La Jolla to Del Mar. I do think La Jolla/Del Mar is more dramatic and scenic but I can see it going either way, neither is really head and shoulders above the other.

But I think Torrey Pines is a lot better/more scenic compared to Crystal Cove. Higher cliffs and a much longer stretch of nature/no development; 3.5 miles versus about .75 miles.

Old 06-12-2020, 12:51 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,123,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post

100% concur.

Old 06-12-2020, 04:21 PM

11,790 posts, read 8,002,955 times
I voted LA. Its hard to beat when the mountains are actually in the city. Driving to San Diego along I-5 is pretty scenic though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City