Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cbus vs Indy
Columbus, OH 63 60.58%
Indianapolis, IN 41 39.42%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2020, 06:42 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I'm a big fan of the HGTV show Good Bones, which is filmed entirely in the transitional neighborhoods surrounding Downtown Indianapolis. Does anyone know what happened to these neighborhoods? I'm assuming the same white flight as everywhere, but would love to hear from a local who could perhaps chime in.
I am watching right now. These neighborhoods are in rough shape. Mostly craftsman style homes and workforce housing that have seen better days. I have seen some nice aerials of Columbus on House Hunters. Seems like both cities are growing and attracting young people due to low cost of living and new jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 07:12 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
I'm a big fan of the HGTV show Good Bones, which is filmed entirely in the transitional neighborhoods surrounding Downtown Indianapolis. Does anyone know what happened to these neighborhoods? I'm assuming the same white flight as everywhere, but would love to hear from a local who could perhaps chime in.
Basically.

There are some core neighborhoods on the east side like Fountain Square and Irvington I wouldn't mind to live in. Some have transitioned back into relatively good areas. Others are still pretty bad.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:24 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I am watching right now. These neighborhoods are in rough shape. Mostly craftsman style homes and workforce housing that have seen better days. I have seen some nice aerials of Columbus on House Hunters. Seems like both cities are growing and attracting young people due to low cost of living and new jobs.
I've never been to Indy, but I know Columbus pretty well. They were never very industrial, and the neighborhoods directly to the north and south of Downtown are fantastic in my opinion. I'm particularly fond of German Village.

With Indy's more thriving Downtown, it would seem they would have the same. I know they have a more industrial past, though.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:32 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Basically.

There are some core neighborhoods on the east side like Fountain Square and Irvington I wouldn't mind to live in. Some have transitioned back into relatively good areas. Others are still pretty bad.
Yeah, I gather from the show that Fountain Square is the favored quarter. I have a friend that transferred up there with UPS, and he lives in the Broad Ripple neighborhood North of Downtown. He loves it there, but doesn't know much about other districts yet. He tells me there are rougher looking hoods than what we have in Atlanta adjacent to Downtown in a few directions, which surprises me given their size. Thanks for responding!

Old 09-01-2020, 09:32 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Yeah, I gather from the show that Fountain Square is the favored quarter. I have a friend that transferred up there with UPS, and he lives in the Broad Ripple neighborhood North of Downtown. He loves it there, but doesn't know much about other districts yet. He tells me there are rougher looking hoods than what we have in Atlanta adjacent to Downtown in a few directions, which surprises me given their size. Thanks for responding!
Gentrification really has not hit a lot of the Indy inner ring neighborhoods until recently. Indy has focused more on commercial development and new jobs.

Old 09-01-2020, 12:17 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Columbus is more progressive and much better neighborhoods. I assume the shopping and dining scene is better in Columbus, but I could be wrong. Indy has a more interesting downtown though, but seems like more of a rough city. Plus I’d take being in Ohio over Indiana.

Old 09-01-2020, 02:34 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
I would pick Indianapolis.

Old 09-01-2020, 03:04 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,518,151 times
I actually like both. Lived in Columbus at one time and liked it. The tie breaker for me is I'm a big NFL/NBA fan and could not care less about NHL/MLS, so I'm going with Indy.

Old 09-01-2020, 10:52 PM

955 posts, read 611,813 times
Personally not a fan of either. I will give it to Columbus, though, as I feel it's a bit safer and has a few solid neighborhoods.

Old 09-01-2020, 11:51 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
I am curious about this comparison as well. Columbus is the largest metro I've never been to (at least not since I was old enough to remember) but I know Indy decently well. That said, if I were forced to pick I think I'd lean toward Columbus but it is close and just a guess. I feel that with OSU, Columbus will have slightly more Chinese/Asian amenities. Indy is quite devoid of this and it's important for our family.

Quote:
I cannot tell you much about the past and what happened. I can just talk about the present:

Fountain Square is pretty clearly the most popular historic urban core neighborhood in Indy. It is fully gentrified but still retains a quirky hipster character at the moment. There's not much more transitioning left, but out on the boundaries it is still rough and that area is slowly getting fixed up.

Bates-Hendricks, where a lot of the Good Bones flips are, is also fairly gentrified, at least the northern half of it is fully transitioned. It doesn't have a ton of commercial space though the way Fountain Square does.

My personal favorite neighborhood is Old Northside. It is also historic and has been revitalized pretty nicely, and strikes me more like a yuppy hood than hipster. That's not necessarily why I like it though, but I just like the aesthetic from the street.

Broad Ripple is a super trendy, kinda bro-y college strip north of downtown about 25 minutes. It is definitely nice though...think of it like a great 5 block strip for partying. The issue (well depends on your perspective I guess) is that it is quite a hike from downtown and therefore not part of the urban core scene. But at the same time that puts it much closer to the very popular northern suburbs like Fishers and Carmel which is, I would guess, a large portion of the demographic it pulls from.

Another random slice of a historic walkable neighborhood away from the urban core is Irvington, which is about 15 minutes east. This one is only maybe 2 or 3 blocks of commercial but it is very nice and the housing stock is very interesting. Quite a popular little neighborhood surrounded somewhat by less safe and desirable areas.

There's more neighborhoods I like, but I'll stop there. Those are the highlights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City