Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 11:30 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
As far as the fierce competitiveness of DFW's retail market, I heard Saks ceding market share to Neiman's is the same reason H-E-B has been hesitant to open stores in the heart of the metroplex (I've heard DFW is Kroger's by-far most profitable market).

It's weird though, because Houston doesn't seem to have this same issue as Dallas.
H.E.B will never open in Dallas proper. Maybe the far far outskirts but Central market by H.E.B is of Dallas's caliber. The reason H.E.B created that High caliber series is because it was the only way to enter the Dallas Market and be successful....and IT IS!!!!!

Houston only has 1 Central market and 1000 reg H.E.B stores...I wonder why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2020, 08:24 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
With immigration rates at 0 for this year and Millennials/Boomers fleeing the cities. I wonder if rents will drop in urban cores like NY SF Boston in the long run? I mean all of the growth in Northeast cities were from Immigration.. and with no immigration, what growth will be there? Will prices finally correct themselves?

I honestly hope Boston drops by atleast 25%, New York by 30%, SF by 35%, etc

Old 07-25-2020, 09:04 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,084,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
With immigration rates at 0 for this year and Millennials/Boomers fleeing the cities. I wonder if rents will drop in urban cores like NY SF Boston in the long run? I mean all of the growth in Northeast cities were from Immigration.. and with no immigration, what growth will be there? Will prices finally correct themselves?

I honestly hope Boston drops by atleast 25%, New York by 30%, SF by 35%, etc
Rents have already fallen in NY since the pandemic. Last month, listing inventories jumped almost 85% compared to June 2019. New rental inventory has gone way up as new leases signed were down more than 35% compared to 2019. There will continue to be a correction for several months to come here. We'll see how drastic the rent decreases get.

Old 07-25-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Rents have already fallen in NY since the pandemic. Last month, listing inventories jumped almost 85% compared to June 2019. New rental inventory has gone way up as new leases signed were down more than 35% compared to 2019. There will continue to be a correction for several months to come here. We'll see how drastic the rent decreases get.
Yeah hopefully for the long term.

Old 07-25-2020, 10:07 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
H.E.B will never open in Dallas proper. Maybe the far far outskirts but Central market by H.E.B is of Dallas's caliber. The reason H.E.B created that High caliber series is because it was the only way to enter the Dallas Market and be successful....and IT IS!!!!!

H-E-B has at least made it as far north as Waxahachie and Burleson, and it does own quite a bit of land in the heart of the DFW metroplex for future stores (eventually)

Old 07-25-2020, 01:35 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
H-E-B has at least made it as far north as Waxahachie and Burleson, and it does own quite a bit of land in the heart of the DFW metroplex for future stores (eventually)
Future Central Market Locations.
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...eady-to-start/

Old 07-25-2020, 03:06 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post

Central Market she While foods serve the save demographic.
Houston has 12 Whole Foods and 20 Randall's stores so I don't think they are missing anything but not having any more central markets.

HEB it's not in the same category as Central Market/ Whole Foods so I'm not sure why you bring it up.
They are sister companies but Whole Foods is a better comparison.

Old 07-25-2020, 03:07 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah hopefully for the long term.
There is a danger if the real estate market gets hit too hard. You’re playing with fire.

Old 07-25-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
There is a danger if the real estate market gets hit too hard. You’re playing with fire.
Bigger danger if nobody can afford said market.

Old 07-25-2020, 03:21 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Central Market she While foods serve the save demographic.
Houston has 12 Whole Foods and 20 Randall's stores so I don't think they are missing anything but not having any more central markets.

HEB it's not in the same category as Central Market/ Whole Foods so I'm not sure why you bring it up.
They are sister companies but Whole Foods is a better comparison.
DFW has 14 Whole Foods, 10 of which are on the Dallas side.

That said, I think the main difference is that Dallas also has WinCo, Tom Thumb and Albertsons (on top of Kroger and Whole Foods). Houston doesn't have as many different grocery chains competing in its markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City