Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 08:49 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,074,569 times

Advertisements

I don't personally think, that during the period of gentrification, suburbs were ever undesirable, it was more like instead of 90% of growth happening in the suburbs, the city now captured 15-25% of the growth. So you can't have a return to the suburbs if in reality people never stopped moving to the suburbs. Just because city growth slowed down doesn't mean the suburbs are picking up the people who would have been city slickers, more than likely due to demographic trends and the slowdown of immigration under Trump, (I'm not saying that is a bad or good thing, just saying they have a negative impact on growth) growth everywhere declined, it's just that the cities were hit harder than the suburbs who had/have a long history of strong growth.

On Houston while the city is just about built out, I think growth will start to be patchy, and best measured over decades rather than year to year. Their are still some areas were whole new neighborhoods can be put and the city itself has a large above-replacement level fertility population compared to other cities, so unless all those folks flee to the suburbs, i'm sure that baby growth by itself will lead to growth in the city. The main thing will be if new neighborhoods get's built in former undeveloped areas in the city, or new apartment complex, we will see possible years, with growth followed by years without any, but overall a growing trend due to more and more people being born in Houston than dying.

The main thing holding Houston back is legacy infrastructure, with some neighborhoods, being hollowed out because they became undesireable due to high crime and other schools, while other neighborhoods particularly in the SW of Houston had the high crime come in after or while development was storming the area, and the crime actually came well after every inch of land was developed.

One area that's definitely going to see a population boom is the third ward due to the U of H and TSU, whoa re both trying to expand the number of students living on campus, and if Houston continues to grow both of these places could see a West Campus style boom around them. The main issues of course is crime, but bad schools largely doesn't have to be addressed since we are talking college students here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 08:59 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,707,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I don't personally think, that during the period of gentrification, suburbs were ever undesirable, it was more like instead of 90% of growth happening in the suburbs, the city now captured 15-25% of the growth. So you can't have a return to the suburbs if in reality people never stopped moving to the suburbs. Just because city growth slowed down doesn't mean the suburbs are picking up the people who would have been city slickers, more than likely due to demographic trends and the slowdown of immigration under Trump, (I'm not saying that is a bad or good thing, just saying they have a negative impact on growth) growth everywhere declined, it's just that the cities were hit harder than the suburbs who had/have a long history of strong growth.

On Houston while the city is just about built out, I think growth will start to be patchy, and best measured over decades rather than year to year. Their are still some areas were whole new neighborhoods can be put and the city itself has a large above-replacement level fertility population compared to other cities, so unless all those folks flee to the suburbs, i'm sure that baby growth by itself will lead to growth in the city. The main thing will be if new neighborhoods get's built in former undeveloped areas in the city, or new apartment complex, we will see possible years, with growth followed by years without any, but overall a growing trend due to more and more people being born in Houston than dying.

The main thing holding Houston back is legacy infrastructure, with some neighborhoods, being hollowed out because they became undesireable due to high crime and other schools, while other neighborhoods particularly in the SW of Houston had the high crime come in after or while development was storming the area, and the crime actually came well after every inch of land was developed.

One area that's definitely going to see a population boom is the third ward due to the U of H and TSU, whoa re both trying to expand the number of students living on campus, and if Houston continues to grow both of these places could see a West Campus style boom around them. The main issues of course is crime, but bad schools largely doesn't have to be addressed since we are talking college students here.
One thing Houston has going for it is that it's surrounded by a fair amount of unincorporated land.

With the extremely lax annexation laws in Texas, it can easily choose to annex that land if it wants.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:25 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
One thing Houston has going for it is that it's surrounded by a fair amount of unincorporated land.

With the extremely lax annexation laws in Texas, it can easily choose to annex that land if it wants.
Actually, I think it is very hard to annex land in Texas now. You have to meet crazy requirements to annex any land or even your own ETJ.

Old 06-17-2020, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Actually, I think it is very hard to annex land in Texas now. You have to meet crazy requirements to annex any land or even your own ETJ.
Interesting. This must have been a fairly recent change if that's the case.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:02 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
Interesting. This must have been a fairly recent change if that's the case.
I don't think that 20 plus years is that recent.
Houston City limits have been huge for a long time.
Houston, has been annexing non residental commercial strips, not neighborhoods.
But people keep thinking otherwise.
I think the last major annexation was Kingwood in the mid 90s.
But yeah, airports, sea ports, highway areas yes.

I wish some of these myths would be dispelled. Houston is not swallowing neighborhoods filled with people.
If it was that easy Houston would be pushing 5M people right now

Old 06-18-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I don't think that 20 plus years is that recent.
Houston City limits have been huge for a long time.
Houston, has been annexing non residental commercial strips, not neighborhoods.
But people keep thinking otherwise.
I think the last major annexation was Kingwood in the mid 90s.
But yeah, airports, sea ports, highway areas yes.

I wish some of these myths would be dispelled. Houston is not swallowing neighborhoods filled with people.
If it was that easy Houston would be pushing 5M people right now
Just because Houston chose not to pursue annexation since the 90s doesn't mean it wasn't still easy for them to do so.

I did my own research after last night's post, and apparently the annexation laws were changed in 2017 (which is relatively recent) then made even stricter in 2019.

https://www.texaspolicy.com/legislat...here-in-texas/

No More Tiers: Annexation Becomes More Challenging for All Texas Cities - Randle Law Office | (281) 657-2000

Old 06-18-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Just because Houston chose not to pursue annexation since the 90s doesn't mean it wasn't still easy for them to do so.

I did my own research after last night's post, and apparently the annexation laws were changed in 2017 (which is relatively recent) then made even stricter in 2019.

https://www.texaspolicy.com/legislat...here-in-texas/

No More Tiers: Annexation Becomes More Challenging for All Texas Cities - Randle Law Office | (281) 657-2000
It wasn't all that easy decades ago either.
The annexation of Kingwood was messy and the annexation laws were tightened up after that.
You found the most recent changes but the first changes started in 1999

Old 06-18-2020, 12:36 PM

332 posts, read 260,998 times
One potential reason for the dramatic slowdown in population growth circa 2015-2016 in Houston (and to a lesser extent in Dallas) may be the oil and gas downturn. I know many people who lost their jobs around that time and moved elsewhere - because let's be honest, many of us wouldn't live in Houston if it wasn't for the fantastic, high-paying job opportunities that the city provides.

Old 06-18-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrawndagger View Post
One potential reason for the dramatic slowdown in population growth circa 2015-2016 in Houston (and to a lesser extent in Dallas) may be the oil and gas downturn. I know many people who lost their jobs around that time and moved elsewhere - because let's be honest, many of us wouldn't live in Houston if it wasn't for the fantastic, high-paying job opportunities that the city provides.
The metro is still growing rapidly and the O&G jobs are all over the metro.
What you say makes sense but wouldn't it be reflected all over the metro instead of just the city?
The Energy Corridor, Woodlands, Spring and To a lesser extent Sugarland are the great beneficiaries of the energy growth.

I doubt downturns in energy account for the brakes bring put on the city's growth.
I seriously think the city is underestimated like it was in the 2000s.

I think Dallas growth has been consistent the last decade. I think it was overestimated the first few years of the the 2010s and the numbers now are just correcting the overestimate

Old 06-18-2020, 04:02 PM

1,376 posts, read 928,163 times
Quote:
I don't disagree about the perception of Dallas. But since there was a comment about the amenities found in different cities, I was merely pointing out how Dallas is missing two of the most distinctively upscale department stores in the country, which is surprising for the 4th largest and fastest growing metro area in the country.

However, it is true that there are 4 Neiman Marcus locations throughout the Metroplex.

As far as the Galleria, I'm not sure what you mean by "upscale feel," but it has been slowly bleeding its upscale stores in favor of NorthPark and Highland Park Village.
Some of that was happening Atlanta with stores going to the Shops at Buckhead https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8381...7i16384!8i8192 but it appears now some of the stores are moving back to Lenox Square / Phipps Plaza again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City