Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 06:56 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Some of that was happening Atlanta with stores going to the Shops at Buckhead https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8381...7i16384!8i8192 but it appears now some of the stores are moving back to Lenox Square / Phipps Plaza again.
A lot of metros that have several outposts of high-end department stores / boutiques will face the most closings. Miami and LA have already began shedding some locations due to their excess.

Places like Atlanta I see performing fine since most (not all) high-end retail is centered in one part of the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 07:36 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Some of that was happening Atlanta with stores going to the Shops at Buckhead https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8381...7i16384!8i8192 but it appears now some of the stores are moving back to Lenox Square / Phipps Plaza again.
I am not surprised. Seems like the place to be for high end retail. I wonder if some of the restaurants will also follow suit.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:23 PM

332 posts, read 260,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
The metro is still growing rapidly and the O&G jobs are all over the metro.
What you say makes sense but wouldn't it be reflected all over the metro instead of just the city?
The Energy Corridor, Woodlands, Spring and To a lesser extent Sugarland are the great beneficiaries of the energy growth.

I doubt downturns in energy account for the brakes bring put on the city's growth.
I seriously think the city is underestimated like it was in the 2000s.

I think Dallas growth has been consistent the last decade. I think it was overestimated the first few years of the the 2010s and the numbers now are just correcting the overestimate
I think it is reflected in the metro. The Houston metro population grew ~20% between 2010-2020, which while robust, is the lowest decadal growth since 1980-1990 (and of course the previous major downturn occurred in the mid 80s).

Regarding O&G jobs in the metro, the majority of white-collar jobs are located in the city of Houston, centered in downtown (CVX, Total, and a number of smaller E&P's), the Uptown area (BHP, APA), and the Energy Corridor (RDS, BP, COP). The only large company outside Houston is XOM.

While there may be other reasons for the pronounced population growth decline in 2016, I think the downturn certainly had an impact.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:56 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdrawndagger View Post
I think it is reflected in the metro. The Houston metro population grew ~20% between 2010-2020, which while robust, is the lowest decadal growth since 1980-1990 (and of course the previous major downturn occurred in the mid 80s).

Regarding O&G jobs in the metro, the majority of white-collar jobs are located in the city of Houston, centered in downtown (CVX, Total, and a number of smaller E&P's), the Uptown area (BHP, APA), and the Energy Corridor (RDS, BP, COP). The only large company outside Houston is XOM.

While there may be other reasons for the pronounced population growth decline in 2016, I think the downturn certainly had an impact.
It's not just about the top ten largest energy companies. Houston is more than that. Apart from XOM there are mid and small size energy related companies all along the beltway and I10 in addition to spring and the woodlands. It would not be the energy Capital if it was just some corporate offices of a handful of O&G companies. I am talking about every aspect of every form of energy production, transportation, sale and marketing including manufacturing of part used in energy production.

So my point is a dip in energy related jobs would reflect evenly over the metro overall and not just the central city. Yes metro growth slowed a little but city growth looks to be completely stalled.

If anything, the growth in the medical/ education/ technology jobs have been more centralized and those did not dip when the O&G jobs dipped last few years. So I think it's something more than jobs is going on there

Old 06-19-2020, 11:12 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think for urban cities like Boston, NYC and Seattle growth was driven by immigration. That immigration dried up significantly.

In less urban cities like there is no point in living in the City of Dallas vs Irvine or Arlington. Same built environment outside a few neighborhoods.

Like Atlanta has more urban amenities than Nashville, Dallas or Houston and is growing more strongly than those center cities because there is more neighborhoods that you can live car-lite take MARTA and such.
We don’t even have to think. We KNOW that despite how much people talk up urban professionals moving back into the the core of those cities that by far the much larger driver of growth was international immigration-we know that for fact.

I think you’re seeing both international immigration slow as well as a slow down in millenial settlement in the city proper.

And yes suburban cities are pretty much suburbs that are the same as their actual suburbs.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:50 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I think for urban cities like Boston, NYC and Seattle growth was driven by immigration. That immigration dried up significantly.

In less urban cities like there is no point in living in the City of Dallas vs Irvine or Arlington. Same built environment outside a few neighborhoods.

Like Atlanta has more urban amenities than Nashville, Dallas or Houston and is growing more strongly than those center cities because there is more neighborhoods that you can live car-lite take MARTA and such.
This an exaggerated view of Dallas. Most of the city is going to be a different environment than the burbs, especially areas inside Loop 12. Far North Dallas does feel more like Plano, etc though. But Central Dallas has a good number of unique neighborhoods that are more walkable than many assume.

Central Dallas and Intown Atlanta are growing very similarly. Also, MARTA has very limited coverage and the average person of ATL still drives. MARTA does have higher ridership than the DFW area rail systems, but it’s an older system and serves a different socioeconomic area than the majority of the DFW rail miles do.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:55 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Central Dallas and Intown Atlanta are growing very similarly. Also, MARTA has very limited coverage and the average person of ATL still drives. MARTA does have higher ridership than the DFW area rail systems, but it’s an older system and serves a different socioeconomic area than the majority of the DFW rail miles do.
The bolded is nothing less than a dog whistle, but that's nothing new. What you really meant to say was minority, not 'socioeconomic area'. I guess you're unfamiliar with DART's lines South of Downtown Dallas, but I don't want to go down that road.

MARTA's supposed limited coverage seems to hit up a multitude of important areas, enabling quite a few to indeed live a car-free or car-lite lifestyle. I don't believe DART offers direct platform access from the lobbies of multiple office towers, but correct me if I am wrong. And yes, MARTA is older but it is also much faster and able to move much higher capacities. MARTA does one thing that DART will never be able to do, in providing a single-seat ride from inside of the Airport to 4 of the 5 largest business districts in the region.

Last edited by JMatl; 06-23-2020 at 10:19 PM..

Old 06-24-2020, 12:21 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
MARTA rail needs more coverage but it hits several key areas in Fulton and DeKalb and most of the major employment hubs in the region.

The average person of practically all U.S. metros drives, so that's not saying anything.

MARTA rail has higher ridership because it's an older system as new HRT systems stopped getting built shortly after Atlanta got their's. Not sure what you mean by MARTA serving a "different socioeconomic area" than rail service in DFW but despite being limited to two counties, MARTA rail's coverage area is socieconomically diverse, serving Buckhead, Bankhead, and everything in between.

Old 06-24-2020, 01:11 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,301,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
The bolded is nothing less than a dog whistle, but that's nothing new. What you really meant to say was minority, not 'socioeconomic area'. I guess you're unfamiliar with DART's lines South of Downtown Dallas, but I don't want to go down that road.

MARTA's supposed limited coverage seems to hit up a multitude of important areas, enabling quite a few to indeed live a car-free or car-lite lifestyle. I don't believe DART offers direct platform access from the lobbies of multiple office towers, but correct me if I am wrong. And yes, MARTA is older but it is also much faster and able to move much higher capacities. MARTA does one thing that DART will never be able to do, in providing a single-seat ride from inside of the Airport to 4 of the 5 largest business districts in the region.
I just meant that MARTA has a higher percentage of its rail miles in poorer areas and that’s fine, it’s exactly a purpose public transit can be used for, I just think that’s why the DFW rail service has lower numbers. It’s serves as more of a work commute system for the burbs.

Atlanta’s linear layout of its business districts does help with access to MARTA. DFW’s denser areas are more spread out throughout the area. Most are connected by rail except the ones up the DNT corridor for the time being. The new Silver rail line will connect Plano to DFW airport, crossing some business centers that currently don’t have rail access though.

Old 06-24-2020, 10:17 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Nashville-Davidson County has limited buildable land due to topography. I think that suburban Williamson County should show some decent increases, that seems to be where the residential boom is. Locals, please correct me if this isn't accurate.
Topography issues or not, Nashville proper has over 500 square miles of land. I find it difficult to believe that there isn't somewhere to grow.
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2249...7i16384!8i8192
This was literally the first pin I dropped in Google Maps within Nashville's limits, after looking at the map for like 30 seconds.
So Nashville is booming in its downtown and everything else is going to far flung suburbs? Is that what's happening?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City