Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 10:32 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times

Advertisements

Williamson County has a land use plan that leaves most of the land away from the immediate I-65 corridor as rural. So it's really not that far off from full build out already.

Now Rutherford and (to a lesser extent) Sumner Counties are a different stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 10:45 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Topography issues or not, Nashville proper has over 500 square miles of land. I find it difficult to believe that there isn't somewhere to grow.
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2249...7i16384!8i8192
This was literally the first pin I dropped in Google Maps within Nashville's limits, after looking at the map for like 30 seconds.
So Nashville is booming in its downtown and everything else is going to far flung suburbs? Is that what's happening?
Actually, that area looks like multi-acre lots with single dwellings to me.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:17 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Actually, that area looks like multi-acre lots with single dwellings to me.
So? All fast growing Sunbelt cities have assembled such parcels for redevelopment. It's how growth happens as they expand. It's not as if all cities have grown on land that wasn't previously owned by somebody else.
The point it is that Nashville has a TON of land and a lot of it is definitely developable. Now, if there's something happening from a land use perspective, or there's some sort of law that prevents redevelopment, then that's a municipal decision & a self inflicted wound. That said, Nashville's growth isn't slowing/stagnating because there's nowhere to grow.
Look at Miami. They keep growing and there's less than 36 square miles of land. Nashville has 14 times the amount of land area.

Old 06-25-2020, 07:30 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,806,621 times
Quote:
Topography issues or not, Nashville proper has over 500 square miles of land. I find it difficult to believe that there isn't somewhere to grow.
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2249...7i16384!8i8192
This was literally the first pin I dropped in Google Maps within Nashville's limits, after looking at the map for like 30 seconds.
So Nashville is booming in its downtown and everything else is going to far flung suburbs? Is that what's happening?
I agree with your point, but man that area looks so wonderful to me. I would love to be living there right now. I kinda like that cities have areas like these.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:09 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I agree with your point, but man that area looks so wonderful to me. I would love to be living there right now. I kinda like that cities have areas like these.
Yes, that land is beautiful. There's only one place in the city limits of one of my two homes that can mimic that (in the city limits and isn't park land) but it's a tiny chunk of land in comparison. One family has held onto this land for years as the city developed suburban neighborhoods around it. It's an 88 acre horse farm. https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8799...7i16384!8i8192

Old 06-25-2020, 09:27 AM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
That is the beauty of Nashville. You are never too far away from nature. Other pretty seemingly rural looking areas include areas near Nolensville, Cane Ridge, and even Antioch. There are steep ridges in north and west Nashville, rolling hills, and a farmland. Williamson and Cheatham counties are stunning as well.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:11 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
Quote:
Yes, that land is beautiful. There's only one place in the city limits of one of my two homes that can mimic that (in the city limits and isn't park land) but it's a tiny chunk of land in comparison. One family has held onto this land for years as the city developed suburban neighborhoods around it. It's an 88 acre horse farm. https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8799...7i16384!8i8192
That family gave the land for Ravenscroft, I’m sure they will hold onto it for as long as they’d like.

Old 07-03-2020, 06:18 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
That is the beauty of Nashville. You are never too far away from nature. Other pretty seemingly rural looking areas include areas near Nolensville, Cane Ridge, and even Antioch. There are steep ridges in north and west Nashville, rolling hills, and a farmland. Williamson and Cheatham counties are stunning as well.
Hownis this different from Charlotte or Raleigh, Which are within 2 hours of the Atlantic Ocean and the mountains. How far is Nashville from an ocean?

Old 07-05-2020, 02:06 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Hownis this different from Charlotte or Raleigh, Which are within 2 hours of the Atlantic Ocean and the mountains. How far is Nashville from an ocean?
Nashville is hillier and has less developable land than both. I am not sure what your question has to do with population growth.

Old 07-11-2020, 06:17 AM

382 posts, read 488,737 times
I noticed Nashville's population growth really went off a hill a few years ago but seems to be slowly picking back up again. One theory I have for this is that many of the households leaving the city for the suburbs seem to be families and many moving in seem to be young professionals. The number of households in the city may continue to grow but the exodus of families with children in many areas may be negating some of that population growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City