Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 06:51 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The thing that you’re missing is that DFW suburbs do actually think they can compete with Dallas when it comes to amenities.
I can't speak on whatever toxic divisiveness exists in the minds of some folks that live in the DFW metro, but only reiterate the reality of their relationship.

Last edited by citidata18; 07-23-2020 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 08:43 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,516,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I can't speak on whatever toxic divisiveness exists in the minds of some folks that live in the DFW metro, but only reiterate the reality of their relationship.
which is why I asked the question to see where he, himself, was coming from on that.

Old 07-23-2020, 10:19 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,297,332 times
The DFW burbs are simply trying to get as much as they can from regional development. More tax dollars and bragging rights, etc..

None of them have the same level of urban amenities you can find in Dallas. I think it’s more or less a friendly relationship than a bitter rivalry.

Old 07-23-2020, 11:17 AM

527 posts, read 319,697 times
Pre Covid sometimes when checking my commute in google, I would expand the map and look at traffic in other cities. Nashville, just looks troubling. All of that sprawly growth and traffic would be "red" in so many places for a metro of its size.

I'm not picking on the city. It's not alone for sure, but it's unfortunate that this rising city with some good amenities is falling into the same pattern, especially with its current population being so broadly stuck in traffic.

Old 07-23-2020, 11:52 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickms View Post
Pre Covid sometimes when checking my commute in google, I would expand the map and look at traffic in other cities. Nashville, just looks troubling. All of that sprawly growth and traffic would be "red" in so many places for a metro of its size.

I'm not picking on the city. It's not alone for sure, but it's unfortunate that this rising city with some good amenities is falling into the same pattern, especially with its current population being so broadly stuck in traffic.
We tend to not have an appetite to fund transit in this country, especially rail transit where it currently doesn't exist. The best hope for rapidly expanding metros without rail transit is to build upon existing infrastructure (especially the tracks), and build new stops along existing routes for commuters, and then building high density nodes at those stops.

Old 07-23-2020, 12:03 PM

240 posts, read 129,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The thing that you’re missing is that DFW suburbs do actually think they can compete with Dallas when it comes to amenities. Look at the super bowl back in 2010 and see how much of the pie everybody wanted and why people didn’t want it centered in Dallas because they of course wanted the money, but also believed they could compete in certain ways with Dallas. When I saw that comment, I took it as that’s just another long line of “we have the same things as Dallas does”.
I personally don't think there's anything special about Frisco and Plano but the majority of people that live in DFW probably do. When I lived in downtown Dallas that was almost looked at as being frowned upon and Frisco and Plano are looked at as some kind of paradise. The main thing that Frisco and Plano has that Dallas doesn't is proximity to more high end corporate jobs. It also has better shopping, grocery stores and schools, mega strip malls and shopping centers at every corner. That may not be appealing to people who value urbanity in cities, but apparently it's appealing to tons of Americans as they keep moving to Plano/Frisco area in record droves.

Old 07-24-2020, 06:54 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
The Nashville MSA was 1,959,495 and CSA at 2,087,725 as of July 2019. The MSA is possibly at or slightly more than 2 million now.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash...ropolitan_area
Nashville MSA per 2019 Census Estimate: 1,934,317
Nashville CSA per 2019 Census Estimate: 2,062,547

The MSA and CSA boundaries have been updated several times since 2013. I know that Nashville's lost land area (counties) as did one of homes (Raleigh), in some of the statistical designations.
Over time, expect those boundaries to keep changing as data changes.

Old 07-24-2020, 08:53 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,448,551 times

Dallas "CREATES" High end shopping. Forty Five Ten is Dallas born as well as Stanley Korshack and of course Neiman Marcus is a world wide staple in itself. Sak's and Bloomingdales does have outlet stores across from North Park Center in https://shopsatparklane.com/.https:/...-outlet-store/ https://shopsatparklane.com/director...venue-off-5th/

So while sak's did leave Dallas its shows that it was only because of fierce Competition...because opening a outlet shows their will to be in the Dallas Market.

Barney's NY once had a location in Dallas also but it closed a couple of years ago. The simple fact that it was actually feasible to open a location here says alot...Name another sunbelt city with one.

All of Dallas' suburbs are well planned and on point. They all have their own niche within the metroplex. Can they compete with central Dallas with Urbanity?...Absolutely not...but they make up for that in other ways that can only be had in suburbs. Does bDallas want to be a suburb?.......No!!!!.....but Dallas' suburbs want to provide some type of urban experiences to satisfy their residents who choose not to drive in.

Will those urban experiences be able to compare to Uptown,Deep Ellum, Knox Henderson, Victory Park,Lower Greenville, The Cedars, Main Street, Bryan Place,
and The Arts District???....Never in a million years. But that's what makes the suburban life gret in DFW. because you can have a great suburban life 20n min away from great urban infrastructure and Amenities that your chosen suburb can't provide......EVERYBODY WINS!

People Downplay DART every day...but you have to LIVE here to see how useful it is and how you can choose to live carless if you want...or use your car less.

And its still growing. with three lines going to DFW airport...And a full downtown subway. MARTA is great for what it does for Atlanta but I wouldn't trade DART for it.....To me it would be 10 steps back.

0.2 Cent......dallasboi

Old 07-24-2020, 09:03 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,448,551 times
https://dallas.culturemap.com/news/c...ta%20indicates.
Quote:
New data from commercial real estate services company Cushman & Wakefield shows DFW gained 1,349,378 residents from 2010 through 2019. In terms of the number of new residents tallied during the past decade, DFW ranked first among U.S. metro areas, the data indicates.
Quote:
Today, DFW is the fourth largest metro area in the U.S., behind New York City, Los Angeles, and Chicago. The population of Chicago, the third largest metro area, barely budged from 2010 to 2018, according to the Census Bureau. Today, about 9.46 million people live in the Windy City and its suburbs. If the Chicago area’s population growth remains relatively flat, DFW’s headcount conceivably could surpass Chicago’s in the not-too-distant future.
Metro Population is what's important...not City population....Look at Atlanta...498,044 in (2018)...And look at Arlington Tx.(a suburb in DFW)398,112 (2018)..not to far off.

Old 07-24-2020, 09:54 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
As far as the fierce competitiveness of DFW's retail market, I heard Saks ceding market share to Neiman's is the same reason H-E-B has been hesitant to open stores in the heart of the metroplex (I've heard DFW is Kroger's by-far most profitable market).

It's weird though, because Houston doesn't seem to have this same issue as Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City