Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 01:31 PM

223 posts, read 170,388 times

Advertisements

Chicago+Philadelphia=New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 03:03 PM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
No city in Europe equated to NYC. NYC is straight block streets... I draw no comparison of any European city to NY.

Id say NYC is a mix of Boston+Chicago+San Francisco

Old 02-15-2021, 03:18 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,026,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illadelph73 View Post
Same type of idea as this thread but with New York instead of Chicago.

Boston + Philadelphia or any large city in New Jersey + a large European city like London or Amsterdam (it used to be called New Amsterdam and colonized by the Dutch after all) = New York.

The main thing I oppose here is that Philadelphia is equivalent to any large city in New Jersey.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:32 PM

765 posts, read 898,545 times
San Francisco (bay area, including San Jose metro) + Chicago. I think that would be a good match up.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:08 PM

156 posts, read 174,391 times
New York is in a class of its own for North America, but not the world. -- And if you haven't traveled extensively, then you just don't know. Tokyo is in a global class all it's own. I had the chance to visit there in 2016 and was blown away by the size and density of the place, but moreover how clean and efficient it is for a metropolitan area that size. Shibuya square is like Times Square x 10... The subway system, no comparison, it's so much more modern, clean and efficient. New Yorks subway is good in that it "mostly" runs 24/7, but it's such an outdated and beat up looking metro. Most Asian metro systems destroy it.
London is another city that I think is greater than New York along many metrics. -- The public transportation, although not as modern as many cities in Asia, is still far ahead of New York. London also has amazing history and intimate urban settings in the middle of the city that you just can't find in New York...
Another city that I found more impressive than New York was Istanbul... If you ever get a chance to visit that city, do so -- amazing place. The history, the food, the culture, the urban layout; not to mention that it's much larger than New York...
Paris is another amazing city that is equal to or could be considered better than New Yorks along several metrics....
I really need to explore the megacities of South America, as I've heard great things -- Lima, Peru; Sao Paolo, Rio De Janeiro..etc...
New York is great, but there's just so many other cities out there that offer more...

But in regards to the question posed by the OP. - I'd say San Fran + Boston + Chicago would equal New York (But honestly, those 3 cities combined would be more impressive than NY on its own). - But New York is certainly in a class of its own in North America... I haven't been to Vancouver yet though, so I may change my mind about that later...

Old 02-15-2021, 09:33 PM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdl76 View Post
New York is in a class of its own for North America, but not the world. -- And if you haven't traveled extensively, then you just don't know. Tokyo is in a global class all it's own. I had the chance to visit there in 2016 and was blown away by the size and density of the place, but moreover how clean and efficient it is for a metropolitan area that size. Shibuya square is like Times Square x 10... The subway system, no comparison, it's so much more modern, clean and efficient. New Yorks subway is good in that it "mostly" runs 24/7, but it's such an outdated and beat up looking metro. Most Asian metro systems destroy it.
London is another city that I think is greater than New York along many metrics. -- The public transportation, although not as modern as many cities in Asia, is still far ahead of New York. London also has amazing history and intimate urban settings in the middle of the city that you just can't find in New York...
Another city that I found more impressive than New York was Istanbul... If you ever get a chance to visit that city, do so -- amazing place. The history, the food, the culture, the urban layout; not to mention that it's much larger than New York...
Paris is another amazing city that is equal to or could be considered better than New Yorks along several metrics....
I really need to explore the megacities of South America, as I've heard great things -- Lima, Peru; Sao Paolo, Rio De Janeiro..etc...
New York is great, but there's just so many other cities out there that offer more...

But in regards to the question posed by the OP. - I'd say San Fran + Boston + Chicago would equal New York (But honestly, those 3 cities combined would be more impressive than NY on its own). - But New York is certainly in a class of its own in North America... I haven't been to Vancouver yet though, so I may change my mind about that later...

I think if NYC focused on quality over quantity it would have a shot of being as impressive as London, Tokyo, etc. It has the size and capital, now it needs to put in the work. This goes for really any American city

Old 02-16-2021, 01:57 AM

662 posts, read 1,281,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnobbishDude View Post
Los Angeles+San Francisco
That wouldn’t work. That combination would easily trounce NYC as it would basically be like all of California vs NYC. LA is the center of culture and entertainment and exports American culture to the world, and Silicon Valley is more powerful than Wall St. with more powerful companies than New York, not to mention has the highest paid population in the world. Either LA or SF, both carry a signature industry that even alone can be argued as more influential to how people live than NY. Also to put in perspective, LA has a higher GDP than London in the rank of world cities. It a top world city, but gets downplayed because it’s not as old or well-respected as other cities.

Old 02-16-2021, 05:05 AM

156 posts, read 174,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I think if NYC focused on quality over quantity it would have a shot of being as impressive as London, Tokyo, etc. It has the size and capital, now it needs to put in the work. This goes for really any American city
Definitely agree. When you've lived and traveled overseas, it's frustrating to come back and see the state of public transportation, airports and lack of cleanliness in our cities, but even more so in our banner city.

Not trying to knock New York because it has opened some very modern subway stations as of late -- namely Fulton street and Hudson Yards...but it still has a long way to go to catch up to many of its European counter parts.... You're right though, it's an overall American thing..

Old 02-16-2021, 06:32 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
New York is it's own entity. There is literally nothing else like it in the country. The only thing that dares to stand in its presence is Chicago.
Philadelphia literally stands in New York's presence.
They are only 90 miles apart.

Old 02-16-2021, 07:17 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times
The reason why nyc is not on the level of Tokyo is because it’s part of America. Honestly the way the Northeast is built up I could imagine them being more thriving if they were located in Europe.

Americans don’t maintain dense or densely built cities well compared to other nations. America is one giant suburb.

Americans sure know how to take care good care of its suburbs tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City