Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: No mortgage, no kids, same job same salary: Would you rather live in Atlanta (Dunwoody) or Phoenix (
Atlanta / Dunwoody 39 48.15%
Phoenix / Tempe 24 29.63%
elsewhere 18 22.22%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 08:59 PM

1,376 posts, read 928,163 times

Advertisements

Dunwoody, though if Atlanta metro you could get a bigger house built 10-15 years ago towards Buford/Sugar Hill (5,000 square feet with finished basement, 3 car garage) for $500,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 09:17 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
The choices seem to be Atlanta or Phoenix. Just curious, why Phoenix by a long shot?
“Elsewhere” was a choice and that’s how I voted.
I just think Phoenix is a nicer area to live in if I had to choose one. Actually, there are scenarios in which I’d live in Phoenix now if leaving my current location was something I wanted to do.
Atlanta, not so much.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:34 PM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I just think Phoenix is a nicer area to live in if I had to choose one. Actually, there are scenarios in which I’d live in Phoenix now if leaving my current location was something I wanted to do.
Atlanta, not so much.
To each their own. Tempe is nice but I can't personally forsee it having a major advantage over Dunwoody. Dunwoody has access to Heavy Rail making it possible to live without a car, both have local access to a large business district and employment opportunities, both have access to a plethora of nice real-estate (I personally think Dunwoody has more diversity in real-estate options as well), both also house several upscale shopping districts... both are local to colleges / university campuses, and lets face it the weather in Dunwoody is far more forgiving. The main area where I feel Tempe probably does dominate Dunwoody is street layout, its a grid where as Dunwoody can be sanctioned off from the rest of the metro in some ways by its curvy surface arteries and Dunwoody probably has worse traffic but given he's working remotely that won't be a huge concern.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:51 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Atlanta, not so much.
Sorry to have offended for asking a simple question. You've stated in the past that you prefer specific temps, I was just curious.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:53 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTraveled2015 View Post
We bought a 3 bedroom new construction townhouse two years ago that's worth more than it was then. It's more expensive in our area because it's on the Fulton side of Dunwoody rather than the DeKalb side. The house we looked at in Tempe is an older home, not a new construction, though.

When I wrote my other post, I was "feeling Phoenix more". I keep going back and forth though!

I was in Phoenix for a week on business last year. The house in question is in 85282 and it's an older home with no HOA. I just thought the neighborhood had some charm. I am aware of the housing threads in the Phoenix forum. I'm always on even though I don't comment much.

I was looking at older homes in Tempe to avoid having to pay a mortgage. Maybe a fixer upper? You are certainly right about the housing market being hot and that house we saw will be gone very soon.
To be honest, the extreme heat is a bit of a concern. I think that 110 is OK but one of the days I was there, I remember it got to 122 and that was pretty brutal. I'm guessing that's out of the ordinary?
A concern to my spouse is the likelihood of having a water emergency although native Phoenicians say that the water situation is under control. I wouldn't be trying to grow a green lawn!

You're right that jobs are super competitive. I know of a few people who tried to land a job there from out of state and it's very difficult to even get an interview.

To be honest, I am torn between both places.

Good guess . Yes, I can transfer between offices even though we're all remote now. Both places are nice, I agree. There are pros and cons.

It seems most people think that Atlanta is a better choice according to the polls and some comments. Tough decision. I am torn. We keep going back an forth.
122°F is our all time high, and occurred 30 years ago (6/26/1990). We haven't even hit 120°F+ since 7/28/1995. Our average highest temp each year is just 115°F and we only average 18 days per year 110°F+

Old 06-22-2020, 02:55 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Oh and I would personally choose Phoenix obviously. Atlanta is just a warmer version of Upstate NY weather wise. Still gets snow in winter, hot humid summers and tons of rain and clouds (not to mention no palm trees). No thanks

Old 06-22-2020, 06:11 AM
sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Sorry to have offended for asking a simple question. You've stated in the past that you prefer specific temps, I was just curious.
Not offended in the slightest.
I don't like hot weather of any kind, but dry is better if I absolutely had to.
Neither are places that a person would want to actually live without a car. Phoenix is better for traffic and just getting around in. It also has far more interesting day trips and nearby places to get away to, but that's a personal preference.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:16 AM

331 posts, read 149,731 times
I like both cities and this decision really comes down to personal preference. If I were the OP I’d rent my place in Dunwoody for the next year and rent a place in Tempe for the next 12 months and then make my final decision where the stay.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:29 AM
sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
122°F is our all time high, and occurred 30 years ago (6/26/1990). We haven't even hit 120°F+ since 7/28/1995. Our average highest temp each year is just 115°F and we only average 18 days per year 110°F+
"Just" 115°, "only" 18 days of 110°... holy moly.
Where I currently live the average July high barely touches 80°.
But, I'll take your dry heat over Atlanta's humidity any day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Oh and I would personally choose Phoenix obviously. Atlanta is just a warmer version of Upstate NY weather wise. Still gets snow in winter, hot humid summers and tons of rain and clouds (not to mention no palm trees). No thanks
Atlanta's snow is negligible, if that.
Even though I grew up in the southeast, I never associated it with sunny pleasant weather.
We all knew you still had to go out west for that.
Without people on the internet telling me otherwise, I might not have ever known I'm from the "sunbelt".

Old 06-22-2020, 07:47 AM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Well for what is worth, super hot summers have grown on me to the decree where I barely notice it. I personally have no taste for shoveling out snow on my drive way for half the year or getting my car stuck on a icy road or dealing with salt or rust as experienced in northern states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City