Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 07:23 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karambit25 View Post
NO CITY can match the same number of jazz clubs and venues they had in the 30s-60s.
That's a matter of entertainment and economic options available now.
America has been dumbed down by popular culture.

Per capita, KC has as much live jazz and artists as any other city in the US outside of NYC. The revitalization of the 18th & Vine jazz district and the American Jazz Museum has led to a renaissance of the art form. And with the advent of UMKC's jazz program under the direction of Bobby Watson, the number of artists coming to study and gig has exploded in the last 12 years. KU's Jazz Program and exploded and KCKS Community College has a significant and growing jazz program.

Before Covid, the city was buzzing with live jazz and the future of jazz looks brighter than ever in KC. With 30+ venues and restaurants featuring jazz and many others with some jazz, you can hear some of the best jazz anywhere on earth.
I replied to your statement about the Troost Wall in my other post.

I did visit the American Jazz Museum and the Negro League Baseball Museum on my most recent visit in 2018, and I did hear at the time that the Blue Room, the jazz club attached to the museum, draws good patronage. But the block of 18th Street that includes the museums and the historic Gem Theater had a Potemkin-village quality about it; some of the false fronts erected for Robert Altman's film "Kansas City" were still standing years after the film had been released, and while the historic houses in the 1800 block of Highland, where the Mutual Musicians Foundation is located, had been restored, most of the blocks around that block and the one containing The Call's offices just to its east remained empty, as they were when I wrote my Jazz District sidebar to that P&L District story in 2015.

To be fair, I saw evidence that jazz was on the rebound in KC back on a return visit in 1985, when my relatives on my Dad's side were all still living; I caught a performance at a (I think now-defunct) club on the Country Club Plaza called Starker's.

So I'm pleased to hear that the jazz scene in KC has only grown stronger since then. And you're right that nowhere, not even in New York City, which succeeded KC as the epicenter of American jazz, does jazz hold the central place in American popular music it enjoyed back in the Pendergast era. But it is enjoying a resurgence in many places (Ken Burns' documentary helped), and it's good to hear that it's flourishing again in one of the three principal cities that shaped its history (before it: New Orleans; after it: New York).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 12:11 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc2j View Post
Can't speak on Kansas City, never been but does sound like it's worth a visit. As a Black man born and raised in Nashville, a city with 4 HBCU's in Tennessee State University, Fisk University, Meharry Medical College and the American Baptist College one would think the Black culture here would be a lot more prominent but admittedly it's not compared to a lot of places.
That is indeed quite unusual. Only Atlanta, which obviously has no shortage of Black culture, has more within the city limits but even entire metropolitan areas with three HBCUs, such as Hampton Roads, DC, and Jackson, MS, are also noticeably Blacker. And the irony is that the city's embrace of the very thing that put Nashville on the path to such rapid growth and development, country music, is one--as with all other genres that originated in America--that Blacks had a significant role in creating.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:02 AM

402 posts, read 369,584 times
A friend from college lives in Nashville, and loves the city. He has mentioned his experience may differ from some, as he had connections prior to moving which made his move much easier. He also said dating for him has been easier than his sister who also lives there.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:58 PM

9,680 posts, read 9,390,397 times
NMAAM is now open in Nashville. The opening of the museum keeps Nashville's place in its contribution to black art and music. Hopefully this more visible promotion will help the city finally embrace more of this heritage.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill...pens-tour.html

Old 01-19-2021, 03:32 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
NMAAM is now open in Nashville. The opening of the museum keeps Nashville's place in its contribution to black art and music. Hopefully this more visible promotion will help the city finally embrace more of this heritage.

That's very interesting, because the music I — and I think most people — associate Nashville with is country and western music, and both Charley Pride and Lil Nas X are exceptions rather than the rule. I don't think the city registers on most histories of African-American musical styles or traditions, pace the world-renowned Fisk Jubilee Singers.

Memphis. Detroit. Philadelphia. St. Louis. Kansas City. New Orleans. New York. LA. Atlanta. Even DC. But Nashville?

Maybe we'll all be in for some revelations visiting this institution.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:30 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
That's very interesting, because the music I — and I think most people — associate Nashville with is country and western music, and both Charley Pride and Lil Nas X are exceptions rather than the rule. I don't think the city registers on most histories of African-American musical styles or traditions, pace the world-renowned Fisk Jubilee Singers.

Memphis. Detroit. Philadelphia. St. Louis. Kansas City. New Orleans. New York. LA. Atlanta. Even DC. But Nashville?

Maybe we'll all be in for some revelations visiting this institution.
There's a great write-up about the new museum in the NYT and why it belongs in Nashville: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/17/o...nashville.html

Old 01-19-2021, 01:44 PM

382 posts, read 488,737 times
I can't speak for Kansas City, but Nashville has a big issue with racial profiling. The city doesn't have a lot of geographical segregation, but cultural segregation and racial division are present, to put it lightly.

Old 01-19-2021, 02:45 PM

17 posts, read 13,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post

CBS This morning yesterday did a piece about it yesterday.

https://youtu.be/C-o7DZNSx54

Old 01-19-2021, 06:06 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
KCMO, definitely

Old 01-20-2021, 01:44 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Better is super subjective both seem okay not amazing not bad. Just regular/ with a little extra flavor (Music City/Jazz-BBQ) to keep things fun.

Outsiders perspective would be KCMO. Economically maybe it’s Nashville. I can’t imagine it’s a huge world of difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City