Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 10:11 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times

Advertisements

My own list (not public perception):

T1: NYC LA Philly Chicago

T2: Miami Boston Denver San Diego Sacramento Atlanta DC

T3: Houston Dallas Phoenix Orlando Baltimore Seattle

T4: Tampa Minneapolis San Francisco Charlotte

T5: Detroit St. Louis Portland San Antonio

Controversies:

Charlotte-just seems way way too boring. Compared to other cunbelt cities it seems to be more orporate/family oriented/and lacking particularly sunyn or spectalar weather or views. I see no appeal but i know its a nice city. I dont even want to visit really, but if invited i go and im sure id like it enough.

San Antonio-seems monolithically Tejano and (conservative) white. Not cultures im familiar with or all that interseted in. I rather just go to New Mexico-- more liberal and less of the milatray imprint. Military stuff is a negative for me. Santa Fe or Albuquerque seem liek theyd be more foreign and interesting than SA. Extremely hot and rdy. Somewhat isolated. Im sure its better than what im giving it credit for.

Portland-seems like a cliche of everything 2014 hipster. No diversity. Bad weather. Homeless people. No.

Minneapolis- too cold, too much ineqaulity wraped in liberalism. Like Boston but without the view, architecture, not the same amount cultural/ethinc diversity, isolated location, even colder, not as green, no beaches, slightly higher crime than Boston.

San Francisco: Painfully expensive, painfully hillly, too political, not enough balck people. My cousin lives there I visited- I much orefer Oakland.

Seattle seems like a comibnation of Minne/Port/SF but with better scenery, not as expensive as SF. Not as extremely white as Portland. Not as cold as Minne. Some very nice suburbs as wellas some affordable suburbs. Weather would be a drag, its also still expensive.

Sacramento- seem high but i love the COL, weather, diversity, inependent movie theaters owntown, solid economy, nice architecture actually. Closets thing to Oakland on this list. Seems like a pretty well rouned city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2020, 10:11 AM

79 posts, read 35,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I have to disagree on Tampa. It's not anymore trashy than any other port city, it's just as flat as Miami except in the northern suburbs which have some hilly terrain and it is hardly full of unpleasant people from the Northeast.

Not sure where you were, but it's actually a very nice city and metro.
I also will agree with this post. Tampa is awesome, I love it. It’s getting better too. The main gripe used to be its downtown but now it is undergoing an absolute boom and becoming more walkable and dense. All it needs is public transportation, which was in the works before COVID ruined everything.

Old 08-22-2020, 10:15 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I have to disagree on Tampa. It's not anymore trashy than any other port city, it's just as flat as Miami except in the northern suburbs which have some hilly terrain and it is hardly full of unpleasant people from the Northeast.

Not sure where you were, but it's actually a very nice city and metro.
just my impression the two times I drove around. Spent night there before boarding a cruise, tried to find a cheap motel with my father (I was ~14) every single motel had a ton of prostitutes in front of it. I know motels are motels but we just needed cheap digs for the night and finding a clean hotel that didnt seems dangerous was a legitimate issue. Just saw a lot of ratchet behavior all day long when going to eat. Another time I was there in college for a track meet. Much of the same.

I'm totally open to being wrong. I didn't see much of Tampa.

Old 08-22-2020, 10:15 AM

955 posts, read 610,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I rather do my own list than other people’s perceptions.
That's not what this thread is supposed to be about

Old 08-22-2020, 10:22 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,979,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
That's not what this thread is supposed to be about
Yeah. In the context of this thread it's probably less helpful than responding with a list of favorite movies.

Old 08-22-2020, 10:35 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
just my impression the two times I drove around. Spent night there before boarding a cruise, tried to find a cheap motel with my father (I was ~14) every single motel had a ton of prostitutes in front of it. I know motels are motels but we just needed cheap digs for the night and finding a clean hotel that didnt seems dangerous was a legitimate issue. Just saw a lot of ratchet behavior all day long when going to eat. Another time I was there in college for a track meet. Much of the same.

I'm totally open to being wrong. I didn't see much of Tampa.
Wow, I've been going there most of my life and can't imagine where you guys were. You should give it another look if you ever get the chance. It's actually my favorite Florida Metro. It's a diverse and welcoming place, and the people are generally very friendly.

Old 08-22-2020, 10:37 AM

747 posts, read 497,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I agree here. I like Tampa the best out of the three. Miami and Orlando have unfortunately low wages for the COL there. Tampa provides great job opportunities, a city on the upswing and there's quite a lot to do in the area. I find the downtown to be lacking at the moment, but there is a huge Redevelopment master plan for the downtown that combines walkability and vibrancy. You are also not too far from Clearwater Beach and St. Pete.

Ideally, if Tampa connects Ybor with Downtown Tampa and provides a stretch of great urbanity and entertainment, it would be completely transformed. Tampa has the potential, in my opinion, to be the best in Florida. I have a lot of hope for Tampa.
Cluelessness. Posts like these are why you think I attack you. You simply get things wrong so much.

Orlando and Tampa have very similar employment opportunities, wages and cost of living.

Orlando was 7th for job opportunities and 9th for wage increases, while Tampa was 12th for opportunities and 19th for wage increases:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/workers...em-11567848600

Orlando’s cost of living index is 154, while Tampa’s is 149:

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-l.../north-america

Orlando average wages were $46,140 vs Tampa’s $49,590:

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_36740.htm#00-0000
https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_45300.htm#00-0000

Orlando and Tampa are nearly sister cities. I’ve lived in both and the differences between the two are negligible at best. Now that Tampa’s downtown is improving, the only real difference is beach vs theme parks. That’s it. Orlando just happens to have 80,000 more $13/hr positions in Disney, Universal, Sea World, and all the accompanying hotels. But outside of that, the wages for almost every other field are incredibly similar.

Improve your post quality.

Old 08-22-2020, 10:50 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Tier 1: Very desirable
NYC, Tampa, San Diego, Orlando, Atlanta, Miami

Tier 2: Desirable
LA, SF, Denver, Dallas

Tier 3: Moderately desirable
DC, Seattle, Chicago, Charlotte, Portland, Phoenix, San Antonio, Houston, Philadelphia, Boston

Tier 4: Not desirable
Sacramento, Minneapolis

Tier 5: Very undesirable
Baltimore, St. Louis, Detroit
Lol at the Orlando. GTFO of here. Also Dallas in the same tier as LA? San Antonio in the same tier as Seattle? I want some of what you're having. This list is great comedy.

Old 08-22-2020, 10:57 AM

79 posts, read 35,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Lol at the Orlando. GTFO of here. Also Dallas in the same tier as LA? San Antonio in the same tier as Seattle? I want some of what you're having. This list is great comedy.
Relax, homer. The OP clearly said not to bash other opinions or cities. Provide your own list. Otherwise, close your mouth.

Old 08-22-2020, 10:58 AM

1,803 posts, read 934,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Tier 1: Very desirable
NYC, Tampa, San Diego, Orlando, Atlanta, Miami

Tier 2: Desirable
LA, SF, Denver, Dallas

Tier 3: Moderately desirable
DC, Seattle, Chicago, Charlotte, Portland, Phoenix, San Antonio, Houston, Philadelphia, Boston

Tier 4: Not desirable
Sacramento, Minneapolis

Tier 5: Very undesirable
Baltimore, St. Louis, Detroit
You're Tier 4 as undesireable is just odd. Sacramento is gaining Bay Area Transplants and still a great Northern California setting and Minneapolis was one of the growing Midwest cities before these dreadful incidents. You cannot mean weather for Sacramento ... but probably mean weather also for Minneapolis.

Overwhelmingly boasting Sunbelt cities clearly is seen here too. Just not the most Conservative cities and cheapest though or COL. Home we expected on the top list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City