Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 07:15 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times

Advertisements

I only say North because that's where your family is. Otherwise, either region would be fine. My wife and I are in our mid/late 50's. My wife grew up in the Boston area (Quincy) and I grew up here in the Charlotte area (Gastonia, where we live now). My wife got a little good-natured kidding when she first came South, but people were very kind and welcoming to her. From 7/2017 - 1/2019 we temporarily moved to Cape Cod, MA to help care for my mother-in-law who was/is batting Parkinson's Disease and Dementia. Like my wife, I got a little good natured ribbing from a few people. But people were overall kind and welcoming. My wife and I both prefer the South, its culture, and wouldn't want to live permanently in any other region. But we travel extensively and love the good parts of every region in America. We enjoyed some better than others, but we loved the wonderful, special differences each offers. Whether it's the South or the North, if you've got natives crossing the line of "kidding" and being rude or saying that you won't ever be accepted, then that's more of a reflection of the people you're choosing to be around and not reflective of the region as a whole. We have dear friends in Cape Cod and Boston who we stay in touch with. They're incredible. The same goes for here in the South. So just wisely choose your circle of friends and acquaintances (trust me, that's an important difference) and ignore the idiots. The labeling and nit-picking unnecessarily creates bad feelings and is very childish. Anyway, good luck wherever you end up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 08:08 PM

899 posts, read 2,288,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJT96 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I was born in upstate SC, a fairly "southern" area but grew up in Five Forks, SC a largely transplant city. Most of my friends and classmates growing up were either from the Northeast or had at least one parent not from the south.
Hey NJT96,

Former Greenville-Spartanburg guy here, I know Five Forks well. As you point out, there are lots of transplants in the area, and you are actually someone who was not only raised but born in SC. I'm curious what kinds of situations you are in where people are saying you are not a Southerner. These are people who maybe know your parents, too and the fact that they are from the North?

If you have the ability to move and are not held back because of work or other reasons, you should move to the area you like the best, which it sounds like may be New England. But again, like you said, there are so many transplants from the Northeast in Greenville anyway. The fact that your parents were not born in SC shouldn't be the reason that you feel you need to leave.

Old 09-08-2020, 08:11 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,726,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJT96 View Post
To be honest, I gravitate towards the North East Culture. I have been living in a place where I never thought I belong. I like the quaint New England charm that Connecticut offers minus the snow and taxes lol
You could move to SE CT, Southern RI or even SE Mass and the snow isn't too bad and you'll still get the quaint, small towns.

Old 09-08-2020, 09:32 PM

955 posts, read 612,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
FWIW, I was raised up north (Midwest) and also call it a buggy. I didn't know that was a regional thing.

I'm also black though, if that makes a difference.
Can anyone explain what a buggy and/or carriage is? I only have heard those words used for horse-drawn carriages.

Old 09-08-2020, 09:50 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimumingyu View Post
Can anyone explain what a buggy and/or carriage is? I only have heard those words used for horse-drawn carriages.
That was my first thought as well, as I usually call it/have it called a shopping cart. But I have heard older people use the term buggy. Can’t say I ever heard carriage in this context.

Old 09-08-2020, 09:59 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Out west.

Old 09-08-2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
Hey NJT96,

Former Greenville-Spartanburg guy here, I know Five Forks well. As you point out, there are lots of transplants in the area, and you are actually someone who was not only raised but born in SC. I'm curious what kinds of situations you are in where people are saying you are not a Southerner. These are people who maybe know your parents, too and the fact that they are from the North?
In big cities, there is usually an eyebrow raised if you are not a transplant. In small towns from what I’ve seen, the question usually revolves around if your parents are locals. If not, it doesn’t really matter as much if your parents are from Georgia or Alaska. Local or bust seems to be the paradigm shifting issue.

That said, it’s about fit. Hartford is not Charlotte is not Boston is not Atlanta. The great nationalization of culture has worn the edges off much differences. So find a place with good housing in your budget and a good job, and try and prosper. That’s all any of us can do.

Old 09-08-2020, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Out west.
Horace would approve.

Old 09-08-2020, 10:45 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Go with your heart, if Connecticut feels right take the plunge. You could do a lot worse.

If it doesn't work out, it's a big Country out there. Good luck!

Old 09-09-2020, 12:31 AM

10 posts, read 2,018 times
BirdeBelle,

I have to agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City