Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is the most comparable to Cleveland?
Columbus 0 0%
Cincinnati 5 3.60%
Pittsburgh 16 11.51%
Buffalo 66 47.48%
Detroit 29 20.86%
Chicago 1 0.72%
Milwaukee 20 14.39%
Other 2 1.44%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 05:31 PM

771 posts, read 624,859 times

Advertisements

Staying on the topic of Ohio, what city is the most similar to Cleveland? In terms of geography, culture, jobs/economy, history, demographics, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 06:41 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Although smaller, Buffalo moreso than any of the others.

Old 09-17-2020, 06:15 AM

955 posts, read 610,191 times
Milwaukee, Buffalo, followed by Detroit.

Milwaukee and Buffalo are smaller, Detroit larger, so there's not really a perfect comparison size-wise.

Cleveland has nothing in common with Columbus or Cincinnati (or Chicago).

Pittsburgh is significantly different in a lot of ways but I think their proximity, sports rivalry, etc. makes them sister cities. A lot of Clevelanders have roots in Pittsburgh as both cities were steel towns and were close enough that being transferred to one or the other wasn't a huge issue. Even now, there are a lot of people from both towns who attend school in the space between - universities like Kent State, Youngstown State, and Akron State all have a lot of out-of-towners from Western PA.

Old 09-17-2020, 06:43 AM

5,464 posts, read 3,913,523 times
I've never been to Milwaukee, but as a Buffalo lifer and serial Cleveland visitor, if Milwaukee is more similar to Cleveland than Buffalo is, well, I need to get to Milwaukee ASAP to marvel at Great Lakes synchronicity

Old 09-17-2020, 07:44 AM

4,394 posts, read 4,284,253 times
How is Milwaukee not winning this poll? Those have to be two of the most similar cities in the country.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:01 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times
They both drink a lot of domestic beer and say eh a lot. I'll go with Buffalo.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:13 AM

1,234 posts, read 941,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
How is Milwaukee not winning this poll? Those have to be two of the most similar cities in the country.
It would be winning if Buffalo wasn't on the poll.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:19 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
They both drink a lot of domestic beer and say eh a lot. I'll go with Buffalo.
We do not say eh a lot, this isn't Canada. Also, we may drink domestic beer, but not generic Bud etc. most of us drink local craft beer (Great Lakes Brewing Company is hugely popular, along with many other local breweries).

As to the question, I said Buffalo. We're more laid back than Detroit, and have less cultural influence from Chicago than Milwaukee. Another city that has a surprisingly similar feel to Cleveland is Duluth, MN. It's built on multiple levels similar to Cleveland, it's got the same old bridges, industrial coastline, repurposed factories and warehouses in their downtown, laid back working-class vibe, and big 1920s industrialist mansions in the "suburbs".

Old 09-17-2020, 08:41 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
We do not say eh a lot, this isn't Canada. Also, we may drink domestic beer, but not generic Bud etc. most of us drink local craft beer (Great Lakes Brewing Company is hugely popular, along with many other local breweries).

As to the question, I said Buffalo. We're more laid back than Detroit, and have less cultural influence from Chicago than Milwaukee. Another city that has a surprisingly similar feel to Cleveland is Duluth, MN. It's built on multiple levels similar to Cleveland, it's got the same old bridges, industrial coastline, repurposed factories and warehouses in their downtown, laid back working-class vibe, and big 1920s industrialist mansions in the "suburbs".

Just messing with you. I've actually heard some good things about Cleveland. Had a friend back in college in the 90's from there and she used to talk about the Flats. Also worked with someone that was originally from Shaker Heights. Always wanted to check it out but never did. Being that I'm right next to NYC I should road trip out there sometime. I always liked Cleveland's gritty vibe and their diehard sports fans similar to here and a few other cities. And Howard the Duck lol

Old 09-17-2020, 08:59 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,909,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Although smaller, Buffalo moreso than any of the others.
I never viewed Buffalo as Great Lake city because unlike Cleveland and Milwaukee, Buffalo isn't actually situated on the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City