Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 12:21 AM

955 posts, read 609,762 times

Advertisements

For Seattle, I'd add:

01. Wilshire Grand Center from LA
02. Salesforce Tower from SF
03. Vista from Chicago

I think that would add some heft to the skyline and keep in line with its modern look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 05:58 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,948,786 times
For Baltimore:

1. The 505 building in Nashville (sorry Shakeesha). In fact, we have our own Sheraton hotel next to our 414 Light. I'd place it at the long underdeveloped 300 East Pratt St.
2. The Penobscot Building in Detroit (place it where the old Morris Mechanic Theater is right in the heart of downtown; would make a great compliment to the old Bank of America/Maryland National Bank art deco masterpiece)
3. Cleveland's Terminal Tower on the site of the long vacant Tower Building at Baltimore & Guilford.
4. Pittsburgh's Gulf Tower on Park Ave. between Lexington and Clay on a current greenfield patch; another Art Deco masterpiece to help liven up the western half of downtown
5. The Carew Tower in Cincinnati (yes, I'm a but of a sucker for prewar skyscrapers, but I feel that given its east coast location with all those old rowhouses, they suit better in Charm City). I'd place it where the parking lot for the Farmer's Market is currently.

I didn't include any buildings from "Type A" cities since I feel that Baltimore doesn't quite deserve those yet. That said, those buildings are mostly taller than the current tallest (Transamerica Tower), and provide for a nice balance in terms of highrises.

Old 10-10-2020, 08:57 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Pittsburgh

Wilshire Grand LA

3 Logan Square Philadelphia

Wells Fargo Center Minneapolis

300 Ashland Place Brooklyn

30 Hudson Yards NYC

Old 10-11-2020, 02:46 PM

9,678 posts, read 9,375,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
For Baltimore:

1. The 505 building in Nashville (sorry Shakeesha). In fact, we have our own Sheraton hotel next to our 414 Light. I'd place it at the long underdeveloped 300 East Pratt St.
Exactly, don't they go together?

Quote:
5. The Carew Tower in Cincinnati (yes, I'm a but of a sucker for prewar skyscrapers, but I feel that given its east coast location with all those old rowhouses, they suit better in Charm City). I'd place it where the parking lot for the Farmer's Market is currently.
I started to steal some of Cincinnati's towers like PNC and Carew, but they do not fit in Nashville's more modern looking skyline.

Old 10-11-2020, 05:44 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
Boston still has the challenge of having Logan Airport so close that it makes skyscraper building a stunted exercise for so much of the city.
I feel like if we can pick up and move skyscrapers, then we can pretend the Logan height limit didn't exist.

For Boston:

1) LA's US Bank Tower on the Winthrop Garage site.
2) Charlotte's Duke Energy Center on the Hurley site.
3) Nashville's AT&T tower at (or near) the Motor Mart Garage site.
4) Pittsburgh's Cathedral of Learning behind the Landmark Center.
5) Philadelphia's City Hall replaces Boston City Hall.

Old 10-11-2020, 08:00 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
idec about skyscrapers in all honesty. If we could only have the West End and Scollay Square back to Boston I would be okay.

Old 10-11-2020, 08:10 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,417,602 times
I actually like the short buildings in Seaport. I feel like Seaport without the height limit would turn into downtown crossing or theater district soon enough with dense buildings and sidewalks in the shade.

Old 10-11-2020, 08:20 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
I actually like the short buildings in Seaport. I feel like Seaport without the height limit would turn into downtown crossing or theater district soon enough with dense buildings and sidewalks in the shade.
Its coming out nice. the new harbor walk looks amazing. Im more impressed by Eastie and how pristine and appealing its becoming.

Old 10-11-2020, 09:35 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
For Baltimore:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Exactly, don't they go together?
Darn, you're right! 505 and 414 Light really do compliment each other very well. I'd love to see Baltimore have at least one really tall building, and I keep thinking of One Liberty Place in Philadelphia. But I'm not sure where I'd put it for maximum effect.

Old 10-12-2020, 10:15 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
idec about skyscrapers in all honesty. If we could only have the West End and Scollay Square back to Boston I would be okay.
Even though this thread is about skyscrapers, I agree. Some of the most stunning buildings I would like to see "added" to Philadelphia are not very tall. Or even more-so, I wish several demolished buildings in Philadelphia were saved. So many mistakes made in the 20th century and even today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City