Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best state overall? Who wins?
Maryland 43 30.71%
Virginia 87 62.14%
Tie 10 7.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 02:28 PM

406 posts, read 486,177 times

Advertisements

He has no idea what he’s talking about. It’s hilarious.

But yeah I mean DC is a beast, no argument there. Has NOVA experienced explosive economic growth in recent decades? No doubt! Metro Baltimore is constantly compared to Metro DC when realistically it’s better to look at how it compares to a St. Louis or Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 04:32 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,722,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
BWI is the busiest airport in entire Baltimore / Washington CSA.

Johns Hopkins is the State’s largest private employer.

The Port of Baltimore speaks for itself.

If you actually took time to research this stuff before functioning as a human assumption factory, you would understand that the bulk of job growth in Maryland pre-COVID was concentrated in Metro Baltimore. The Maryland side of the DC Metro has been relatively stagnant economically speaking over the past decade.

I could go on and on and on and on about how wrong you are of Baltimore being a “burden” to the State of Maryland.
BWI is busy because of a heavy Southwest schedule east of the Mississippi. It has weak connections to the West Coast and a single intercontinental flight which is only kept going by a state subsidy.

Ports are automated and don't create local jobs like they used to, but even then Baltimore trails NY-NJ, Charleston, Savannah, and Norfolk on the East Coast.

Baltimore's burden is felt not only in subsidies to keep the "I" going in BWI, but the $300 million bailout the state had to give the city when it lost tax revenue due to TIF projects downtown that failed to stimulate neighborhood development.

While Dulles is a PITA airport, it at least serves the world. All those businesses in Tyson's and Reston can fly to Asia, the Middle East, and all over Europe direct from an airport less than 30 mins away. Not to mention that DCA has far better domestic connections than BWI if you don't want to cattle call on Southwest.

On top of all this, Maryland has a unique blend of heavy regulation that Virginia doesn't, while it lacks the venture capital that other heavily regulated states like NY, Mass, and California have. It's hard to think of a worse place for business.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:27 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
BWI is busy because of a heavy Southwest schedule east of the Mississippi. It has weak connections to the West Coast and a single intercontinental flight which is only kept going by a state subsidy.

Ports are automated and don't create local jobs like they used to, but even then Baltimore trails NY-NJ, Charleston, Savannah, and Norfolk on the East Coast.

Baltimore's burden is felt not only in subsidies to keep the "I" going in BWI, but the $300 million bailout the state had to give the city when it lost tax revenue due to TIF projects downtown that failed to stimulate neighborhood development.

While Dulles is a PITA airport, it at least serves the world. All those businesses in Tyson's and Reston can fly to Asia, the Middle East, and all over Europe direct from an airport less than 30 mins away. Not to mention that DCA has far better domestic connections than BWI if you don't want to cattle call on Southwest.

On top of all this, Maryland has a unique blend of heavy regulation that Virginia doesn't, while it lacks the venture capital that other heavily regulated states like NY, Mass, and California have. It's hard to think of a worse place for business.
Non stop flights from Baltimore – BWI direct flights

Old 01-26-2021, 05:57 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:

What are you talking about. I use BWI all the time. It's fantastic and is well connected to the rest of the country, all of the country.

And for international flights? Screw IAD. It's often 50-100% less to drive up and catch a flight out of one of the NYC airports than to fly out of IAD although we have flown out of BWI on British Airways which is quite nice.

Oh and I have news for you. The legacy airlines are just about the same as southwest now. Unless you get to use the lounges or something, I don't see much of a difference.

Old 01-26-2021, 06:08 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
What are you talking about. I use BWI all the time. It's fantastic and is well connected to the rest of the country, all of the country.

And for international flights? Screw IAD. It's often 50-100% less to drive up and catch a flight out of one of the NYC airports than to fly out of IAD although we have flown out of BWI on British Airways which is quite nice.

Oh and I have news for you. The legacy airlines are just about the same as southwest now. Unless you get to use the lounges or something, I don't see much of a difference.
Yeah, regardless of how many international flights that BWI has, it’s one of my favorite airports to fly out of. Convenient and easy to get to, good parking options, and overall clean and spacious. When I come back to visit family, I always fly into BWI.

Old 01-26-2021, 08:54 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,722,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I fly all the time, and only use Southwest for short hauls. I use the lounges frequently and typically fly first class for anything > 2 hours, often on upgrades. Not cattle calling for a transcon.

When I lived in DC, almost always used DCA, except when going int'l and occasionally for California I'd use IAD.

Old 01-27-2021, 12:33 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manson Lamps View Post
It baffles me that cd has such a h-on for northern Virginia. Alexandria is ok but still...by far the least interesting region in the state. Has all the negatives of living in a large metro area with few of the positives.
I'd say lots of well-paying jobs, low crime, good schools, a variety of shopping and dining options, lots of parks, efficient local governments, spacious homes with yards, etc. constitute positives for plenty of people.

Old 01-27-2021, 12:44 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Tyson's is the capital of boring. But in terms of economic development, it's got more high paying jobs than DT Baltimore and more office space. Agree to disagree about Baltimore, but one of its problems is the lack of economic development since the 90s. Makes it feel very low energy. The largest contributor to Metro Baltimore's economy is the NSA/Fort Meade, which is a mile from being in the DC MSA.
Now this I can agree with 100%. Baltimore's suburbs, with well-paying federal government jobs as well as state government jobs, have been the region's saving grace.

I can imagine that it's challenging to lure more office jobs downtown anyway since most of the white-collar workforce is in the suburbs along with their jobs and they would prefer not to travel downtown for work. Also the types of jobs that would be more suited for many city residents would be in manufacturing, logistics, transportation, warehousing, distribution, etc. which need lots of acreage and would most likely go to suburban locations.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:17 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Now this I can agree with 100%. Baltimore's suburbs, with well-paying federal government jobs as well as state government jobs, have been the region's saving grace.

I can imagine that it's challenging to lure more office jobs downtown anyway since most of the white-collar workforce is in the suburbs along with their jobs and they would prefer not to travel downtown for work. Also the types of jobs that would be more suited for many city residents would be in manufacturing, logistics, transportation, warehousing, distribution, etc. which need lots of acreage and would most likely go to suburban locations.
What "well-paying" jobs in Baltimore's suburbs are you referring to? There is not a huge federal presence in Baltimore's suburbs other than SSA. And NSA/Ft. Meade isn't really a Baltimore suburb in a realistic sense. State government jobs are not what most people would consider "well-paying" and even most federal jobs are not what most would consider well-paying. Baltimore's suburbs aren't bad, but I don't know that they are some "saving grace" to the region.

Old 01-27-2021, 06:50 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
Quote:
I fly all the time, and only use Southwest for short hauls. I use the lounges frequently and typically fly first class for anything > 2 hours, often on upgrades. Not cattle calling for a transcon.

When I lived in DC, almost always used DCA, except when going int'l and occasionally for California I'd use IAD.
Lol, I have no reason to fly first class on any domestic flight. Waste of money. Might upgrade to business class for a long international flight or something if the price is right.

I do like DCA though but will fly BWI first if I can since it's just easier for me. IAD is over an hour away and a PITA to use. Like I said, we are always better off flying out of NYC. I don't have a corporate credit card to use nor do I play the miles game other than free flights on Southwest, so when we can save $500-1000 per ticket, getting up ton NYC is a no brainer especially when IAD is so far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City