Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best state overall? Who wins?
Maryland 43 30.71%
Virginia 87 62.14%
Tie 10 7.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 08:44 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,010,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The jug handles are smart.
They prevent so many accidents. I agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 10:23 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,314,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Except when it comes to pro sports. NY vs Philly is a huge rivalry on a city level.
I do not disagree. PHL and NY sports teams are not fans of each other.

But I think it has been toned down the past 5+ years, with the Giants poor NFL record. (Not that the Eagles shined this season. lol)

The biggest sports rivalry is PA v TX. IMO

Old 02-01-2021, 11:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
This thread has been mostly about the DC area. There's not much to talk about concerning Baltimore.

Well, it's been mentioned several times and it's the most populated city in Maryland so it's something people should perhaps consider, if they're trying to decide between Maryland (coolest state flag ever) and Virginia (coolest state ever, in my opinion). Also, it's not that far a drive from NOVA or DC.

That being said, it's also not the only viable option for living in Maryland - and living comfortably and fairly affordably.

Old 09-12-2023, 08:04 PM

59 posts, read 44,646 times
Lived in Maryland my whole life. No complaints. It has mountains, the bay, the ocean, cities, etc. NOVA is nice too. It’s growing and expanding. Both states are great.

Old 09-14-2023, 10:32 AM

1,204 posts, read 794,818 times
Saw this thread being bumped up...

Overall, as a MDer, I voted for VA.

QOL
Public Transit: Tie - if VA really improves VRE as planned they will get the edge, though.
Universities: VA, but on the virtue of VA being a much larger (geographically) state. VA just has a lot more top tier universities to pick from compare to MD.
Economy: VA sadly. MD overall is just fairly stagnant. Yes, part of VA is very poor but so is part of MD. Richmond and Hampton Roads are doing better than Baltimore, NoVA is doing better than the MD suburbs.
Wealth: MD, but due to it being a smaller state. NoVA is wealthier than MD suburbs (mainly talking about MoCo), Baltimore suburb vs. Richmond suburb is a wash. At the end, the poverty areas in VA is just larger than MD.
Character: Not sure...
Politics: MD. VA can be backward and southern at times.
Suburbs: Tie. From a DMV standpoint, FFX is cleaner and nicer than MoCo. Both states have nice suburbs, though.
Schools: Tie. NoVA has TJ but MD schools are better overall.
Urban Cores: Tie. Baltimore core can be awful, but VA urban cores in places like Roanoke or Newport News or even part of Richmond are not necessarily that much better. VA does have more quaint towns due to being a larger state, but MD has them also, many hidden in Eastern Shores.
Diversity: Tie. Both states are somewhat "zebra" once you're outside DMV. Hispanic population is growing in both state, as is Asian population.
Shopping: VA. Tysons is THE mall in DMV. Short Hill in Richmond is no slouch. Urban hipster boutique shopping are somewhat similar between the two.
Food: MD. Crab Cakes FTW.
Road Network/Traffic: VA. MD roads are awful...
Sports: MD, just b/c VA has zero professional teams.
Quick Getaways/Recreation/Parks/Beaches: Tie. MD if anything punch above its weight in this category despite its small size.
Economic Future: VA. MD economy is just stagnating no matter how people spin it.
Job/Housing Market: Tie. The nice areas of both states are pricy, jobs usually pay equally well in both state especially in DMV.
Nightlife/Entertainment: MD - TBH it's more or less a wash. MD only wins on the virtue of more sports event.
History/Museums: Tie - both states are full of historical sites, historical towns, and museums.

At the end, VA wins mainly on the virtue of having a better outlook economically.

Old 09-14-2023, 10:47 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,684,625 times
Maryland is my second favorite state. It is beautiful with tons of charm and is cleaner overall than Virginia.
The assessment above is fair, especially the politics part (two steps forward, one step back here in the Old Dominion).

Virginia for the win, but I’d be totaly happy and proud to be banished to Maryland.

Old 09-14-2023, 11:51 AM

1,023 posts, read 912,505 times
Same. My two forever homes.

Old 09-14-2023, 12:25 PM

172 posts, read 119,785 times
I'd love to hear how Maryland is cleaner overall than Virginia. Never heard that one before. Maryland is a fine state -- I'll take the Baltimore region over the D.C. region any day if we have to choose a big city there. Southern Maryland and the eastern shore is best though.

Old 09-14-2023, 01:03 PM

6,797 posts, read 4,240,302 times
I live in VA, have worked in MD, and I would never ever live in MD, not even the nicest suburb.

Old 09-14-2023, 01:14 PM

1,204 posts, read 794,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Both are nice places.

I would say that NOVA is overall more consistently upscale than the Maryland suburbs of DC. However, Maryland can give you a lot of good value for your money as well.

I moved in 2021 and decided to stay in Maryland. Great house, great neighbors, great schools. I couldn't be happier.
Part of it is definitely vibe and aesthetic. NOVA overal is newer especially once you get out to Loudoun Co. Fairfax Co overall also doesn't have the total random chaotic mix of old and new you find in Montgomery Co MD.

Areas like PW County otherwise doesn't feel that different from, let say, Gaithersburg and Germantown - a mix of immigrants in old townhouses / rundown apartments a few blocks away from brand new super expensive SFH neighborhood.

At the end, as other already said, VA is more than NoVA and MD is more than those DC Suburbs or Baltimore City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City